Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Guy Engine Number Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourAverageTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: New Guy Engine Number Questions Reply with quote

Hello, all. Like it says, I'm fairly new so you'll have to excuse any obviously dumb/already been answered 1,000 times questions. Anywho, I bought a '71 Bug a little while back and was able to confirm the year model easily enough with the chassis number. My confusion is with the engine number (AH427803). From what I can tell, from referencing other threads on here, that makes it a '73-'74. So, my questions are: am I correct on the year; how common is it for engine and car years to not match; is this going to cause me a lot of headache when buying replacement parts and just in the fixing up process in general, or are they interchangeable enough for it to not be a big deal? This is my first Volkswagen as well as my first mechanical/fixerup project, so any info will be much appreciated.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common to have motors that have been changed over the years, nothing to worry about. As for sourcing parts, knowing the kind/style of distributor and carb will be more important than the origin of the engine. When it comes to tune-up parts, base it on the distributor you have.

Post a few pictures of your motor and the numbers off the distributor and carb to learn more.

-jeffrey
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome AverageTaylor,

Hope you enjoy your new bug.

Yes - bug engine get swapped all the time - dont worry about it. You've obviously done some research already on the chassis and engine, but you might find the following link useful - it's listed in a different format to the TheSamba engine list, with major changes year by year.
www.vw-resource.com/years.html

You might also find the repair and maintenance articles on our site useful.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YourAverageTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I got a few pictures of the engine, distributor, carburetor and something that's been plugged that I don't have a clue about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just the exhaust gas recirculation valve typical of mid 70s engines.
YourAverageTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's plugged at the top and the tube that goes from it and screws into the tin is crimped off underneath. Is there a reason for it to be taken out of use and did some previous modification make it obsolete? If I don't need it, can I just take the whole piece off? Since I've had it I've noticed a few things that seem to be Jerry rigged by the previous owner so I'm trying to figure out what's right and what's quick fixed using whatever they had around the house. It's an infuriating good time.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most have been disabled by now, its just more north american smog crap, making the engine burn some dirty exhaust air instead of fresh clean air.

You have to have the correct 73-74 muffler with the port for it and carb with the right port for it to function properly..
It can be removed and the flange blocked off
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: