Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bout time! Very Happy

Was wondering what happened to you.
You were the master at blasting through it for a while there!

But, yeah, sometimes you need to be a husband and father too, I guess...
Rolling Eyes
Know that I have been pushing it a little too hard, and doing some damage to my world with this car obsession lately.
Keep wondering if I will later regret missing out on a whole summer of not really doing anything much with my kids this year...

Post up some mock-up pics!
Let's see what the whole project is looking like.
What's the rear seat area looking like these days?
The people wanna know!

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

The doors have been fitted to the shell to get the door gap set up as well as the corner where I made a pie-cut. I also mounted the rear fenders to ensure the mounting points were identified and holes drilled on the outer skin. I still need to mount the front fenders to check for rubbing with the outer skin.

I do have one question, both of my front fenders have the mount points on the inner vertical metal piece that runs up the fender. Is there a mount point at the very bottom corner of the fender? Both of mine don't have them. Going to take a look at the classifieds to see.

I'd shoot some self tapping sheet metal screws to set the rocker skins, then adjust up or down as needed. With both front and rear fenders on, you'll get a better idea of your gaps (end to end), and also allow you to drill some holes for the 6mm weld nuts to attach the bottom of the fenders (1 in front, and 2 for the rear fender). These holes will actually end up in the large rocker skins that you're using.

Yes, you're supposed to have a lower mount on both front fenders. You'll have to add a screw hole (weld nut) to the lower front rocker skin corner. Keep in mind that there's also supposed to be an 1/8th inch thick strip of D-19 tape on the vertical part of the front fender. This pushes the fender out a little, as the D-19 tape is supposed to seal the fender mounting screws.

Just so you know, I get my D-19 tape from my local camping supply, on a 1" by 20 ft roll for about 5 bucks. You might want to look around for 1 in your area. On campers, they use that tape for windows, and roof vents, so that'll be the kind of camping supply store to look for. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".

Last edited by Bobnotch on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter, Yeah, thought I was making some good headway too. Had some fam time and work to deal with along with taking a break to reflect on where I am with it. this piece is important as I don't want to jack this part up otherwise I may be having sealing problems with the doors I don't care to have. I've also been searching for good donor metal for the A pillars. Got what I needed so once back on break I can make some more headway.

Bobnotch, thanks for that info on the tape. I'll seek it out. I have some fabricating and welding to do on the fenders when their turn arises. I have the rear skin holes drilled and need to get the nut affixed. The front need to be measure. I have a 69 fender that may have that extension piece and I may be able to use it as a template - Will see. Is the screw that mounts that lower fender the same as the other screws. I'm asking as my fenders don't have this piece. You mentioned 6mm. Is the thread an aggressive metal screw thread? do you have an example of the type of hardware I should be preparing these spots for?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up a picture of the A-pillar section you need.

I have front clip here that's pretty good, mostly....

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Is the screw that mounts that lower fender the same as the other screws. I'm asking as my fenders don't have this piece. You mentioned 6mm. Is the thread an aggressive metal screw thread? do you have an example of the type of hardware I should be preparing these spots for?

No, is not like the regular fender screws, but rather a standard M-6x1 screw that's about 3/4 to 1 inch long (kind of like the engine tin screws, but with a hex head). I use stainless steel screws for those, as they don't rust in place. Wink I also use stainless steel flat washers (about 3/4 inch in diameter) there too, when I can find them at my local ACE hardware store.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, is not like the regular fender screws, but rather a standard M-6x1 screw that's about 3/4 to 1 inch long (kind of like the engine tin screws, but with a hex head). I use stainless steel screws for those, as they don't rust in place. Wink I also use stainless steel flat washers (about 3/4 inch in diameter) there too, when I can find them at my local ACE hardware store.

Thats weird because my screw is a #14 screw down there. Maybe the previous owner screwed in the wrong one!
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M6 bolts on my 69 square. I also had a small rubber washer between the body & the fender, one side only
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I'll search out acceptable screws for this area - The mystical M6x1 / washer. We have a couple of hardware places here in town and was going to pass by there and look into rubber washers for the body bolts -cool.

Clatter, as for the A pillar area, I have a front cowl/dash/frunk portion and A pillar section I've been slowly dissecting. I've managed to remove the dash piece from the cowl already and have been working on the pillars. I also have a second, stand-by set or A pillars I found on a crushed-roof 66. I was able to get a replacement spot of the cowl for my rotted area in my lower window corner. I'll post some pics my next break so you'll see where I'm at and where I'm going.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my doors, front and rear fenders from storage to test fit the lower rockers to ID the fender mount points on the outer skins. Was also looking to close that opening on the front piece of the outer skin just under the door hinge mount. I made pie cuts and bent the piece inward. have some more test fitting to do to get that magical 1/4in gap to the lower door then mark everything up for drilling, welding and final fit. Felt good to see the fenders back on and felt really motivated to move forward.

Some work in the lower fender is needed here, I'll get some attention when it comes back from blasting

Rear fender mount points. There are some bilts welded in the inner skin to accommodate an M6x1 hex bolts recommended to be used

The final test fit will fenders before tacking the skin on

I used the small remnant of the mount point place and marked the skin for drilling

Welded-in bolts on the inner skin.

These HF clamps were on sale for $2.99 so I picked a couple up. They really helped in securing the skin so I could tack then weld in the skin.

I'll post a few before and afters tomorrow as I have some grinding to do. The skins are on!!! Grind, clean and coordinate moving thing to the blaster!
Still left to do:
- A pillar inner skin replacement on both sides
- patch hole in the lower front windshield corner
- Some grinding
- Remove the internal door pieces as well as the handle, lock, .etc
- Internally debate replacing the roof skin for a sunroof one - Don't really need to do this but it's still scratching at the back of my head
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good Monte. Cool All that test fitting is paying off. The gaps look consistant, and equal all around the door. Very Happy Your body lines lined up good as well. I think you're almost there. Cool Great job.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking very nice! It would be awesome if you made repros of those sections. I'm sure a lot of people need it.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building these rockers from scratch was a huge painful, stressful experience. I took a cross sections of each piece and had them reproduced. Was extremely close. But the aftermarket outer skin was just weird with their dimensions and it just threw things off. Maybe it was meant to be cut and pieced as needed and not used as whole piece because it just didn't mate up. But then again, being my first build, It was probably me.

If I were to do it again (which I may with my 63) I'll build the whole thing off the car then weld it on as a whole. I learned alot over it and it was challenging. Repros to offer, I don't know.

Today's event was to finish and grind up the welds on the rockers. I was able get my spot welds closed up and ground down as well as cut off the excess lip that hung down to accommodate for the outer skins size. Tomorrow I'll touch up some areas with the welder, do some mild grinding and revisit dissecting the A pillars on my donor piece. Here's some before and afters. smoothing these out will be deal with after blasting but I may leave them be and seam seal.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monte, I'd probably leave most of what you've ground alone, and mainly just concentrate on the areas that WILL be seen with the doors open. I only say that, as the extra weld left will give support to the areas you've fixed (and you don't grind away good metal).There's really no sense in getting carried away cleaning up areas that aren't seen, unless you're wanting everything perfect like Clatter is doing. Wink Just cleaning up the areas you'll see once it's all put together will be enough work alone. Also keep in mind that you have a threshold plate covering part of the door opening (top seam), so it doesn't need as much clean up as you'd think. Shocked You might have to trim the top of it though, so the threshold plate sits right. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I wouldn't have Sunroof Envy, Monte.

Since I got my car, I have been a lot less sunroof-stoked.
It's easy to become sunroof-centric.

But,

All said and done, they really are kind of dumb.
Whenever I have mine open, I can't wait to close it and get some shade.
The sun screaming down right on your dome is kind of lame.
Yeah, you can wear a hat, I guess...

They are cool for bragging rights,
And look cool opened up and all,
Especially if your car is lowered,
But,
Cluttery looks,
Leaks,
Plugged drains and rusted floors,
Wind noise,
No fun to actually use.

I wouldn't stress on it.
Definitely not worth retrofitting.

Deluxe bus or 3-fold Oval or something, maybe....
But not our little hard roof thing.

IMHO, of course.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

But,

But,
Cluttery looks,
Leaks,
Wind noise,
No fun to actually use.

I wouldn't stress on it.

IMHO, of course.

I agree with all of the above.
If you know it's not going to rain, leaving it half open is a nice way to let the heat out while it's parked. Wink

I wouldn't retro fit one, but if I had one already in place, I'd work hard to keep it (like I have in the past). They can be more trouble than they're worth, and driving at speeds above 45 gets you a lot more air than you really want at times, mainly as it's a big opening, versus just lifting the back of it up (like aftermarket units).
It's not really worth the extra work to install one, unless you really have to have it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Clatter wrote:

But,

But,
Cluttery looks,
Leaks,
Wind noise,
No fun to actually use.

I wouldn't stress on it.

IMHO, of course.

I agree with all of the above.
If you know it's not going to rain, leaving it half open is a nice way to let the heat out while it's parked. Wink

I wouldn't retro fit one, but if I had one already in place, I'd work hard to keep it (like I have in the past). They can be more trouble than they're worth, and driving at speeds above 45 gets you a lot more air than you really want at times, mainly as it's a big opening, versus just lifting the back of it up (like aftermarket units).
It's not really worth the extra work to install one, unless you really have to have it.

Guys, thanks on the comments on the sunroof. I'll tell you after re-reading both your posts and experiencing the removal of the inner pieces of my donors A Pillars, I don't think I want to put one in. That was pain. For me it's a nicety, a want to have one but really not needed.

Bobnotch, I haven't ground everything down on my welds. I was focusing my attention on the visible areas. A little on the lower lip but the door jam lower corners and under the hinge. The door sill will cover the top lip so I'm not too overly concerned about that part. There are a few other areas where the welds haven't been ground down so I'm handling those as well.

Oh, also need to remove old seam sealer as I think Tue or Weds next week, barring any issues, I'm looking at getting with the blaster.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
I have the M6 bolts on my 69 square. I also had a small rubber washer between the body & the fender, one side only

Yeah, there should be a rubber washer under the 2 front rear fender screws, between the steel washer and the fender metal. I kind of missed adding to that, but you're right, there should be some there.

Monte, just a little light grinding on the spots you haven't hit yet (more like just flatten them down some), and use a wider cut off wheel, to get the base of the jamb connections (works good for curved areas). Those shouldn't really show a weld, even though they really do. Take your time on those, taking a little off at a time. Wink
I believe you should be able to make target of getting it to the blaster by mid week. Ideally, you don't really want to do any grinding after blasting, as the grinding changes the metal a little by adding heat, that the blasting normalized. Just a tip. And if you do have some grinding to do, you might want to look into getting a "spot" or "speed" blaster for doing small jobs. They're handy for doing light work, or very small jobs. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

Yeah, there should be a rubber washer under the 2 front rear fender screws, between the steel washer and the fender metal. I kind of missed adding to that, but you're right, there should be some there.

Monte, just a little light grinding on the spots you haven't hit yet (more like just flatten them down some), and use a wider cut off wheel, to get the base of the jamb connections (works good for curved areas). Those shouldn't really show a weld, even though they really do. Take your time on those, taking a little off at a time. Wink
I believe you should be able to make target of getting it to the blaster by mid week. Ideally, you don't really want to do any grinding after blasting, as the grinding changes the metal a little by adding heat, that the blasting normalized. Just a tip. And if you do have some grinding to do, you might want to look into getting a "spot" or "speed" blaster for doing small jobs. They're handy for doing light work, or very small jobs. Very Happy

Thanks for that info on the washer and speed blasting. I'm planning on sourcing some rubber washers for the fender bolts as well as those M6 bolts. when this thing gets back from the blaster, I need to review a few areas:
- Rear corners as I still need to put them on
- Rear Apron - Mystery reveal on the filled area
- Rear bumper brackets
- Rear drivers wheel well.
- A pillars

These areas will need some attention when it comes back. I have my potbelly blaster but with my new neighbors, I have no idea if I can work a small, fast blast session on those areas. I think I'll be ok.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been putting off blasting because it's no fun.

Another good excuse to put off blasting, is to get everything as right as you can first.
That way, your heat from welding/grinding/sanding won't foul your fresh epoxy sealer, compromising it's integrity.
Plus there's greasy hands, oil spray from air tools, etc.

A lot of people will get things sealed up first, the go from there.
I was always told to keep hands off until the paint dries.
(at least as much as is practical)

So that's my excuse for not blasting.

Having things sealed up and all the same color is certainly a motivator to do it.
Almost...

Oh, and get the pros to do it.
This is one of those areas where flailing away as a struggling homeowner is futile.
If I was at McDonalds making minimum wage I could have paid a blaster to do mine in the time it took me to make the money vs. doing it on my own.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 75

Jump to: