Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 Super 1600DP Won't start when humid/wet
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryanqzqz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: '71 Super 1600DP Won't start when humid/wet Reply with quote

160f0DP with 34PICT3 carb and a Pertronix Flamethrower SVDA dizzy. I've had repeated issues with starting in moist weather or after a wash... She'll crank, blow plenty of fuel but not catch. The other morning I ran into the same problem after a night of hard, heavy rain... I started checking everything, pulled center wire off the top of the dizzy to check spark and got good spark off the fan shroud, plugged it back in, no go. Unplugged again to check inside the center terminal just in case water or corrosion in it, and my wife happened to crank, I got spark between the center wire and the cap and it started!!! I figured I had a cap issue or wire issue. I switched for a known good center wire and a new cap off a NIB dizzy I have.... no change... weird.

So at work, I bought new wires, coil, rotor and seemed okay, but of course things dried up over the course of the 90+ degree day Smile

This morning it was very foggy and humid, not even wet on the back of the bug, not wet on the cap, or shroud, but same issue, no start unless there was a gap between the center coil wire and the cap...... It would catch and if I would immediately plug back in, would die. I let it run for about 60 seconds, plugged in the wire, and ran fine. Turned it off and restarted, again, fine....

What in the world have I got going on???? I'm suspecting maybe the electronics in the Pertronix spark sprinkler are going out??? But not sure. Hoping someone has had this before because google is pulling me up all sorts of "no start when wet" stuff but nothing like this.
Ryanqzqz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I suppose I'll try a new dizzy and see what happens. I should be able to get one around here somewhere. Confused
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 Super 1600DP Won't start when humid/wet Reply with quote

Ryanqzqz wrote:
160f0DP with 34PICT3 carb and a Pertronix Flamethrower SVDA dizzy.

It's pointless to convert to pointless. I'd point towards going back to points.

I'd make sure that the top of my distributor cap and the coil working end were REALLY clean, and that no wires are near any grounds or wires.

Try cranking/running the engine in the dark, and see if you see any sparks jumping. You'll be less tired if you do that in neutral so you don't have to run after the VW. Then mist a little water over the engine and look for sparks jumping.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it does this spray the cap/wires with a good shot of WD40.
You have a shorting problem being caused by moisture.
WD40 means water dispersal formula 40.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug wires. Old school American car fix is to wet a rag with kerosine and pull the plug wires through it. The solvent draws the water out of the tiny cracks and then evaporates.

Or you could fix it right and replace them if it failed in the driveway at home.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
When it does this spray the cap/wires with a good shot of WD40.
You have a shorting problem being caused by moisture.
WD40 means water dispersal formula 40.

Exactly right. But AFTER the WD40 does it's job and the car runs, you need to use a paper towel etc to clean all the WD40 off the distributor cap and the wire end plugs. WD40 slowly dries to s sticky film (it's mostly kerosine with peanut oil), and the sticky residue will attract dirt and make new tracks for sparks to jump.

Also clean up the INSIDE of the distributor cap - a trace of moisture in there can cause sparks jumping which you can't see.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a common occurrence you might look at a urethane waterproofing kit for your distributor & coil to keep the water out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/6768/946...hane-empi/
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time this happens, liberally pour rubbing alcohol into the cap, wipe it out, and let it dry. This will usually cure a moisture-related hard start, at least temporarily.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryanqzqz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coil, wires, dist cap, rotor, and electrical terminals going to the coil from the wiring harness were all less than a day old the last time it did it. I tried wd40 the first time around to no avail.

Cusser I have a VW06 Rick Porter dizzy 009 clone I can try next time there's rain forecasted.... I also have a Vw10 on order.
Ryanqzqz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Got my dual carbs in. Changed the dizzy out for that vw10 and got everything setup. Guess what... It rained this morning... And i'm running without a deck lid right now... And she started no problem
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put the electronic ignition in the new distributor? If not maybe that was the problem.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: