Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Riviera Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
longboardskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks amazing! Great work!
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks longboardskier, Wasted YA, and Bala. Being that most of this was done last summer it's sort of fun going through and reliving all of the effort. And fun to share the details with folks who are interested Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Panel that I made inside of the main cabinet. I mounted the power inverter on the door of this panel, along with some switches so that I can turn off the 12v meter, USB outlet, LED cabinet lights, and the furnace. All items that pose a bit of a power drain on the RV battery. The Propex furnace is not supposed to be switched, but I found that there's a relay within the unit that draws about .06 amps. Not a lot but if parked for a week or to without a charger, that's enough to kill the RV battery. I was surprised to find this. Propex should really say, "wire the furnace with a master switch, however only turn that switch off once you have allowed the furnace to complete cool and turn it's self off."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And inside. It looks like a bit of a mess. The relay here is so that the refrigerator can't run on 12v until the engine is running and alternator kicks in. Triggered by the sae D+ from the regulator that powers the dual battery relay.

And the new 100 watt solar panel. I added this 30 amp solar controller from eBay to manage the power. This is a nice unit. I can switch the power off at the controller, and it reads the amperage of the power coming in when in the sun..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-30A-MPPT-Solar-Panel-R...1142991620

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Drop Spindles Reply with quote

Picked up some drop spindles from WagonsWest. 2.5" drop. This should account for the saggy rear end and level the bus out with a decent stance.

I got them on Friday and installed yesterday. I'm having a bit of an issue though. You can see here that the little shoulder at the base of the spindle shaft is smaller than the original. It's not big enough to brace against the inside bearing. End result is that I can't get the inside bearing tight. I run out of threads on the adjustment nut, and the brake rotor is sitting too far to the inside. It rubs against the brake back plate a little and a little rubbing against the inside of the caliper when I hit the braes.

I've emailed WagensWest, but has anyone else had this issue and come up with a good remedy?

Bus looks great lowered though!

I'll have to put smaller tires on... My 195 60s on stock rims clear.

I have these old fox shocks that I might install. My old man bought them years ago to put on a Honda Pilot but they've never been installed on anything. They look like they'll bolt right up.

77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys at Wagons West emailed me back quickly. I missed that the difference is that I missed the little sleeve from the originals needs to be transferred to the new spindles. I felt like a bit of a dumb ass for missing that. At least I figured it out quickly.

All is good now. I have a bit of brake hardware rubbing the rotor on the right side, so I'm going to order new hardware. That and some smaller front tires and I'll be done with suspension.
luckyth13teen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking awesome dude! Thanks for the ideas, I know i'll be doing solar soon on my bus.
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucky.

I finished adding the FOX Shocks today. The old shocks were a bit tired, but MAJOR upgrade in the ride. This was the best upgrade I've done. Between this and the HD swaybar the thing really drives fantastic. Since the lower shock post is quite big, I had to pull the FOX swivel unit out of the lower mount and trimmed up some rubber strut mount pieces for the lower.

I added a CB this morning as well. I'll get some more pictures of that later, but here's the antenna. I found this side body mount that fit in the holes that were already there for the old antenna. I'll get a multiplexor/splitter so that I can use this antenna for both FM and the CB.

77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have new white canvas coming. Coincidentally if anyone is ordering new fabric from BusDepot or Custom Home Campers (the only two places that show them for sale) the tents are actually made right in Seattle. The shipping notice says it's coming from "COMMERCIAL FABRIC MFG" with one day turn around on shipping. I wonder if you could just order from them directly... Here's their web site if anyone has a Riviera and wants to contact them.
http://www.commercialfabricmanufacturing.com/
larrydeville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: 77 restoration Reply with quote

Tell me if your fridge is working well. We installed a Dometic 182B in our 77 Riveria and it wont keep up with the heat in California. Perhaps we have a lame unit. You did a beautiful job on the cabinets. Larry
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry. Thaks!

Yes, my refrigerator is working pretty well on 12v, propane, or 110v. Before I installed it I did to some work to clean it out and make sure it was running well. There are other posts/sites with decent guidelines on how to freshen these things up. Many of those say that the best you'll get is about 40 degrees cooler than the interior ambient temperature. That might be what you're fighting with the California heat.

If you've got it running well some things to look at are venting of your cabinets, and the bus in general. I've got a roof top solar vent fan that I picked up from Amazon for around $50 that pulls warm air out of my bus when the sun is on it. I also upgraded the fan on the back of the refrigerator to a generic RV refrigerator vent fan. The new fan came with a switch that comes on at around 90 degrees, I rewired that switch to a computer fan that blows air out of the cabinets, and wired the new fan into the original switch that is on the refrigerator coil tubing that kicks on at around 160 degrees (I think).

If nothing else, I'd recommend the roof solar fan. It will at least get you a cooler rig to come home to.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Riviera Rivet size Reply with quote

I just painted my tub for my 78 Riv that is just like yours. What size rivets and rivet gun did you use. I drilled out the rivets, but my rivet gun doesn't seem to handle rivets that large. Thanks.

77 Riviera Owner wrote:
OK, the roof. I put a layer of the sound proofing over the cab roof. Sorry, no photos. I left areas open in case water got in there is drainage paths in each direction. Then all stainless hardware for the hold downs. And I found a pack of rivets on Ebay which match the original hold down rivets perfectly. Let me know if anyone needs roof rivets. I think I've got a pack of 100.

And all new edge trim. I like the black.

2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey poptop. The rivet gun I've got is just your basic unit from Sears. I'll have to look up the rivet size, but they are big, and seem identical to the originals. I bought a bag of 100 from eBay, so I'd you want to PM me your info I could see what it would take to send a few to WY.
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the rivets that I have.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7...AUS%3A3160
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3/16 in rivets and the gun to pop them. The 9/16 wide flange is the info I needed. That helps a lot. I will look around my little town and if I can't find them I will get back to you about buying some of yours. Many thanks!

77 Riviera Owner wrote:

2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Rivets for the fiberglass top on a Riviera. Reply with quote

I found 3/16 x 9/16 in wide flange rivets at Fastenal. They had a case if I wanted but I only needed 6. The woman who waited on me looked disappointed so I bought 12 and told her I needed to practice riveting. $1.95 including tax. Thanks 77 Riviera Owner for the good information.
If you have a Riviera with a fiber glass "tub" on the front and decide to paint it, I highly recommend that you take it off and see what's under it, if you aren't sure when it was last off of the bus. Mine had leaves, branches, road grit and RUST under it. No good having a shiny top if there's a rust hole under it.

77 Riviera Owner wrote:

2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
19BUG70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of wires and how did you run them when you were putting things back together for all of your electronics? I have taken everything out of my 72 and will be putting things back in as I can afford them. I want to make sure I run the proper wires so they are there if needed.
1966 Fastback TL
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19BUG70 wrote:
What type of wires and how did you run them when you were putting things back together for all of your electronics?

I used quite a bit of different wire depending on the application. Some of the VW wiring I replaced, but most of the stock VW wiring I have left in place.

You can find a wire sizing table dependent on the amperage here http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man,
Do you have or could you take some pictures of how you finished the interior ceiling of the pop top? Any comments about what you did there would be helpful too.

I've got a 78 rivi and the ceiling in the pop top is the only thing I've not done yet. My roof is leaking so I am going to open it up, replace the material, run more wire so I can have more lights and install a panel like you have there.

If it's stock don't worry. Pics of that a on the inter webs are limited

Thanks much. Very nice job

Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Casey,

All I did with my top was I used a heat gun to soften the glue, then pealed the white plastic layer from the wood that was already there. It didn't come off 100% clean, but it's not bad and looks OK. I really wanted to do a thin Birch venir, but was running out of steam at this point. Maybe some time in the future I'll be inspired.

If you do a replacement on yours please post and send me a link. Also on the leaks I would focus on the outside rather than the inside. Patch cracks with epoxy, sand smooth, an then paint the outer top. I painted mine and it is so much easier to keep clean than the old oxidized fiberglass.
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 Riviera Owner wrote:
Hey Casey,

All I did with my top was I used a heat gun to soften the glue, then pealed the white plastic layer from the wood that was already there. It didn't come off 100% clean, but it's not bad and looks OK. I really wanted to do a thin Birch venir, but was running out of steam at this point. Maybe some time in the future I'll be inspired.

If you do a replacement on yours please post and send me a link. Also on the leaks I would focus on the outside rather than the inside. Patch cracks with epoxy, sand smooth, an then paint the outer top. I painted mine and it is so much easier to keep clean than the old oxidized fiberglass.

That makes sense. I just have ignored it. Smile

Ours interior ceiling has warped so I'll need to take it down. I'd also like to run electrical to the back for book lights and plumb in solar, etc.

We'll likely paint the top with epoxy or marine paint like you suggest. I've seen a bunch of tops that way and it lasts a long time.

I'll definitely post pics or something when I get to it. Probably will be this winter.

Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: