Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Rag Top
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: 1957 Oval Rag Top Reply with quote

I am looking at an Oval with a grafted in two fold Rag top. What is the general consensus on these leaking. It appears to be very well done. Is it well know and I just don't know it since I have never owned one?
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloth sunroof cars usually don't leak since the canvas/vinyl top is larger than the roof opening.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. The current owner said it's only been in the rain once for fear of leaking and it's a nice car. I just didn't want to take that as, " It leaks but I just didn't want to tell you that".
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he put the seal under the canvas on the front bow and the canvas fits correctly it shouldn't leak at all. I was driving mine when I got caught in one of the heaviest downpours I have ever seen and it didn't leak a drop (through the roof anyway Smile ).
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I drove from Maryland to North Carolina and back in one day (18 Hours) to pick the car up. The owner claimed it had never been in the rain but that day it decided to pour rain all 9 hours home. The roof leaked pretty bad and got the seats and all the glass inside wet. So now I need to figure out how to solve this. I already have a buggy I can't ride in the rain. I noticed there are drain holes in the front corners where I can see but there are rubber plugs in them. I am assuming there should be drain tubes that were never installed. Is this correct. Does anyone have pics of the seal or a diagram of the tubes? Any information will be helpful. Also is there a solution to the gas smell in the interior from the vented gas cap?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to see some photos of the top closed. If it's installed and adjusted correctly, you shouldn't have leak problems. I've driven mine in all kinds of nasty weather, blowing sideways, down-pours, etc, and never leaked a drop.

And no, on the drain tubes. At least I've never seen any, either on 56 or 60, at least. I'd have to go look, but the plugs sound correct.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
It would help to see some photos of the top closed. If it's installed and adjusted correctly, you shouldn't have leak problems. I've driven mine in all kinds of nasty weather, blowing sideways, down-pours, etc, and never leaked a drop.

And no, on the drain tubes. At least I've never seen any, either on 56 or 60, at least. I'd have to go look, but the plugs sound correct.

I've never had an issue in my 62 either but it has a factory original top.

When I turn the handle it locks down tight all the way around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
vwsonmybrain wrote:

I've never had an issue in my 62 either but it has a factory original top.

When I turn the handle it locks down tight all the way around.

Beautiful 62 you have. California plates ??

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
California plates ??

Thank you!

Those are the plates that were on it when my grandmother owned it beginning in 63. I have collector plates from my state, but I've never run anything other than these plates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
California plates ??

Thank you!

Those are the plates that were on it when my grandmother owned it beginning in 63. I have collector plates from my state, but I've never run anything other than these plates.

Thats great. Ill be Visiting your state in the near future my cousin just got traded to the Twins.

To the OP i've had the same Ragtop for 27yrs on my car (canvas) still doesn't leak. Maybe it needs to be adjusted.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front bow seems tight to the body and it's just canvas right on the paint. No type of rubber seal or anything. Then down the sides the the top seems to flop a bit. I could easily stick my hand between the roof and top where there are no bows. I guess I need to learn how to tighten that up. Anyone know of any good diagrams or instructions of how the original assembles or shows all the parts?

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sounds like it needs to be adjusted. To do that, you'll need to pop loose the headliner at the back edge of the sunroof opening to access the bolts for the rear bow. Sorry, I don't have any direct links to a thread here, but I know there's a few that detail it a bit. Just keyword search for 'sunroof' or 'ragtop' in the 53-57 and 58-67 Beetle forums.

You might also be able to find something in the Technical section.

It's a really straight forward process. Hopefully there's still some room for more adjustment and the top wasn't installed too loose in the first place.

And I double checked last night…the rubber plugs are correct. Should be little nipple-shaped plugs, just like used in the rear apron.

Nice looking car, BTW!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: