Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Superbeetle broken sway bar
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luftgekült
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Superbeetle broken sway bar Reply with quote

Hi
Let's start saying that my sb has standard suspension except for shorter springs (-5cm). Rubber stops were removed.
A couple of days ago the sway bar broke where it attaches to the arm. I was lucky as I was drinving like 10kmh but only 5 minutes before I was on the hiway. I prefer not thinking what could have happen if it broke at speed, since unlike other cars, in the sb the bar holds the wheel in place.
I know that there are sway bars for lowered cars, but my thinking is that they bring the wheel to its correct camber but never heard that not using it could lead to a broken bar.
My question is if you think that lowering the car put so much stress in the bar that it may broke or if it is just a age/fatigue issue?
Although there are a lot of lowered sb, I've never heard of a broken bar before.

Thanks!![/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff_Birt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of the rubber stops? To keep the suspension from moving too far and making sudden 'hard' stops. You removed them and allowed the suspension to move further and hit harder than it was designed to do consequently things broke.

Since all the parts of a suspension are designed to work together it is almost impossible to alter the geometry of one and not alter everything else.
Luftgekült
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I left the ribber stops the car sit on them Embarassed
However, I've never felt the suspension bottomed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luftgekült wrote:
If I left the ribber stops the car sit on them Embarassed
However, I've never felt the suspension bottomed

There was nothing to bottom on, the aftermarket bars are designed to correct the geometry for a lowered car.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a spring and they do fatigue eventually, much worse when things get rusty.
Rust pits=stress risers

Not sure what should be done to prevent rust there, but seems like an important issue Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: