Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 Beetle Convertible 1st/2nd gear problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeyeta2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: '78 Beetle Convertible 1st/2nd gear problems Reply with quote

I recently bought a '78 Superbeetle Convertible w/fuel injection. When I first start out, when it's cold, it runs fine. Then, when I start off the line, I have to give it LOTS of gas and slowly let out the clutch to get it up to speed. I can shift into 2nd at 35mph, but usually go immediately into 3rd, which works fine, as does 4th. It will occasionally start working OK again, but often reverts to the problem. I've had a tune-up w/valve adjustment and replaced the fuel filter. Any ideas?
popeyeta2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have figured out something. When it happens, which is most of the time, if I shift into reverse then back to first, it engages the gear again and works fine. I'm now thinking it's either a clutch problem or a transmission problem (yikes!)
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is in first and not third? Perhaps you just need to adjust the shifter a bit. Loosen shifter bolts and move shifter slightly to the right, then retighten. That should allow enough room to properly select first gear. Perhaps that will help

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: