Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air pressure in engine compartment
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
many408
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Air pressure in engine compartment Reply with quote

I'm wondering how much the carbs are affected by the engine fan sucking air out of the engine compartment.
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go out on a limb here and say ZERO
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest restriction for input air flow is probably the air filter.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine bay vacuum is a major issue that most people overlook. It affects engine cooling by a very significant amount.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
Engine bay vacuum is a major issue that most people overlook. It affects engine cooling by a very significant amount.

Totally agree. There's a reason so many folks run convertible engine lids on non-convertible bodies when running larger engines. This is really true of the BIG engines w/air thirsty dual carbs. Even folks running 1600's in early 60's bugs found out they needed more air.

The German's figured this out, that's why they started punching in the vents in the engine lids on sedans. The 1500 single port engines were known to run a bit hotter and if I remember correctly, the 1970 bugs with the pre-doghouse shrouds had the vented lids first to try and help cool them off a bit. This allowed enough air for the fan to work correctly and made an impact on the cooling of the engine. When they went to the doghouse fan shroud to help further with engine cooling, the vents were really needed to allow enough air into the engine compartment. The Germans put even more rows of vents (from two to four) I think in 73 to further help keep engine temps at bay with the increase to the 1600CC engine.

I stuck a OE convertible engine lid on my 67 sedan and noticed a drop in engine oil temperatures. I also noticed the extra air circulating in the engine compartment cooled off the ancillary items bolted to the engine. It no long vapor locked in 100 degree plus heat. I'm sure letting the cooler air in helped the engine and ancillary parts not sit in a closed, heat sink environment.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relatively tiny amount of air - at high vacuum - consumed by the carbs is not affected by the relatively huge amount of air - at low vacuum - consumed by the fan

Yes, the later engine lids have more holes for more air but the real benefits are for the cooling

But every little bit helps Wink
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running dual carbs on an early VW that does not already have modifications to the engine lid to allow for more air then most likely you will have to make some changes to allow more air into the engine compartment (this is especially important on convertibles with the top down). If you don't drive a lot of miles you will not notice it, but if you drive 30, 40, 50+ miles on the highway in hot temp you will notice it right away.

You should look up Eric Allreds post years ago on "engine bay vacuum" and his water bottle and hose test.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People forget that the stock air intake grill on a VW is designed to provide enough air for a stock carb and the cooling fan to cool the engine. You go adding dual carbs (4x the CFM over stock) and all of a sudden that stock intake grill under the window is too small.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The relatively tiny amount of air - at high vacuum - consumed by the carbs is not affected by the relatively huge amount of air - at low vacuum - consumed by the fan

Thats a bunch of BS
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen cars with non vented decklids get sucked down when you goose the gas on a stroker engine with dual IDAs.

They certainly can rob the fan and decrease engine cooling.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An engine is just a glorified air pump so it makes sense that the bigger and faster the pump, the more air it's going to need. A 2332 @ 6500-rpm would consume over 200-cfm of air through the carbs whereas a 1600 @ 4500-rpm would only require about 100-cfm. I don't know how much extra capacity the VW engineers built into the system, but it doesn't take a math genius to see that a bigger, more powerful engine has the potential to stress the supply system.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IDAs are rated for up to 1100+ cfm....

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time VW finished the aircooled Beetle, it had the louvers under the window, four sets in the decklid, and another behind the license plate.

That was all for a bone stock 48HP 1600 with a doghouse.

Put a big motor in an earlier sedan with no provisions to get more air into the engine bay and you're asking for trouble.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup..If you read the updates as the new models were released, it states that air louvers in the deck lid were installed to accommodate for the larger engine needs.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question........air pressure? negligible. Even several inches of water vac is not enough to feel.

However temperature?? temperature is critical. If there is not enough flow of fresh air into/through the engine compartment then it will tend to get very hot in there. A few inches water of vac will cause it to re-circulate quite a bit even with all stock baloney on place. When the carbs get over 100 degrees you will feel the loss of power and it tends to go rich. Two carbs are twice as sensitive to being too hot then one.

PITA today when it's 95 degrees Shocked

I hear a lot of berg coming through here. Now you know the real reasons for what he describes as the fan stealing the air. He wasn't a scientist but he was honest about what he observed.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:

Put a big motor in an earlier sedan with no provisions to get more air into the engine bay and you're asking for trouble.

Trouble is too many people listen to these keyboard mechanics with their oh i've run like that for years with no probems crap.

Most of them it takes the car bursting into flames before they realise anything is even wrong. Rolling Eyes
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of problems:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(All about that open air)

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
itHaKa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
By the time VW finished the aircooled Beetle, it had the louvers under the window, four sets in the decklid, and another behind the license plate.

That was all for a bone stock 48HP 1600 with a doghouse.

x2

pics of the late itamar fusca, 1600 dual carbed had a thermostat controlled louver behind the license plate

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done with the dual carbed engines is open the engine lid at the bottom. The result is oil temps lower which to me means more air to the compartment. So the carbs probably are not getting starved.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236483
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236484
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236481
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236482

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236480

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})

Last edited by gt1953 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the doghouse fan is that it can really suck! On the 3rd test drive of my 2276, I hit 6500rpm and BANG! it managed to suck a loose wire in and then pulled the wiring harness into the fan and destroy it all. Now I have a lot more respect for it and use 2x the number of zip ties!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: