Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EFI to dual carb convert on a 1600 auto square back
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarecut71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: EFI to dual carb convert on a 1600 auto square back Reply with quote

Im looking to possibly swap out a EFI system on a 71 automatic square back to dual carbs. Im leaning towards IDF 40 Webbers and changing out my distributer and coil. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good solid setup? Im more focused on a MPG cruiser that doesn't eat up engines than I am HP and speed. Any recommendations and possible issues are appreciated. Thanks
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFI is going to give you the best MPG if that is what you are looking for. Is there something wrong with yours or do you just not know how to work on it?
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a megasquirt 2 to replace the stock FI? Shocked
Tuneable on your laptop and plugs into the OG harness

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.clubveedub.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47361

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
squarecut71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of this issues im having is its a semi gutted FI system who's parts have seen better days so for reliability i would want to switch out old parts for new. I've patched up the system and had the motor run and stop 5 or 6 times now but it won't stay on. When i picked the car up the upper end was in pieces from 2 different FI systems with a shot harness that I've patch cleaned and trouble shot and it still don't like me. I've finally gotten the Bently manual that i ordered 6 weeks ago so im going in for another round of trouble shooting this week end but im curious about what options are out there. I've been reading old post and researching online but some times its just easier to ask the question.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persist...when it's working OK the EFI is lovely...

Although I own an EFI Bug or two and am happy to work on them, with a botched-up system I reckon you might say 'enough is enough'...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squarecut71 wrote:
One of this issues im having is its a semi gutted FI system who's parts have seen better days so for reliability i would want to switch out old parts for new. I've patched up the system and had the motor run and stop 5 or 6 times now but it won't stay on. When i picked the car up the upper end was in pieces from 2 different FI systems with a shot harness that I've patch cleaned and trouble shot and it still don't like me. I've finally gotten the Bently manual that i ordered 6 weeks ago so im going in for another round of trouble shooting this week end but im curious about what options are out there. I've been reading old post and researching online but some times its just easier to ask the question.

This might be a good time to look into going MegaSquirt then. I only say that, as the MS set up can use most of the stock parts you've already got, and can even work with a "cobbled together" stock set up.

The big key to the stock system, is getting all of the parts to match. That, and double checking the harness (resistance test it), as that's the key to it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: