Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wokokow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this modification at the back of my mind and I'm glad I found it has already been done by some bright chaps on here.
Learnt a few more things in the process but forgive my ignorance I don't know how to wire a relay. The switch has two terminals (wires) and I understand one has to go on the trigger side of the relay as indicated on the diagram, where does the other switch terminal go?
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going by the picture diagram posted earlier, the other side of the switch needs to be connected to +12 volts. I recommend using a fuse and connecting to a source that gets power only when the key is on. Hope that helps.
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wokokow wrote:
I've been thinking about this modification at the back of my mind and I'm glad I found it has already been done by some bright chaps on here.
Learnt a few more things in the process but forgive my ignorance I don't know how to wire a relay. The switch has two terminals (wires) and I understand one has to go on the trigger side of the relay as indicated on the diagram, where does the other switch terminal go?

Shane is right on the money...
that is exactly what i did.. fused it and ran to a 12+ Volt positive lead that is only powered when ignition is on...
No need for a relay because it is only temporary . you push the button to squirt and release and that is all to it.. so a relay is not important..

Thanks Shane "Buck Naked"

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another way to mount the switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you use the original bottle and its location?

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the original bottle in the super beetle, does one need to drill a hole in the screw on lid so that pump doesnt have to pull against vaccuum? the original system was pressurized with a cut off at 28lbs, it should be pressure tight sealed, im thinking a hole is in order
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make a washer bottle with a 6V or 12V pump that fits in the original location.

CIP1 sells them.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
Here's another way to mount the switch.

That's a great idea.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
They make a washer bottle with a 6V or 12V pump that fits in the original location.

CIP1 sells them.

That fits a standard. Look back in the thread and you'll see the car it's being fit to is a super beetle with the upright angled tank
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuteAndTitle wrote: "That fits a standard. Look back in the thread and you'll see the car it's being fit to is a super beetle with the upright angled tank."

I'm sorry, I thought I thought I was in the 1958 - 1967 Beetle forum.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

I have been meaning to make this mod for a couple of years for our Ghia. The car already has an electric washer pump fitted, but the switch is an ugly toggle hacked into the underside of the dash. Mad
I had got hold of a 'Mera' switch, which I thought I would use instead of the factory switch. I had a 'normally off' micro switch from Maplin and a micro relay which I might stick to the bottom of the switch.
The pics might just give people another slant on what is involved...

This is the switch, and I decided to try the technique of removing the brass peened tubes that hold the two parts of the switch together. Gently increasing drill size and a hand held brace and bit did the trick.

There is a rubber valve on the inside of the black half and to remove the spring and workings you have to cut the black part in half. I used a hacksaw but a cutoff wheel is much better! Rolling Eyes

If you choose drill size carefully, the Microswitch will screw in tightly, with no need for glue. The key is to tailor the depth that the switch sits at, so the plastic rod on the push button will trigger it properly. I sanded the black part of the switch to length. Using this method the two halves of the whole switch can be joined back together with long machine bolts.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

Now for the bit I didn't expect! Shocked
I thought the escutcheon, and the rubber knob and the push button with the logo would swap between the two switches...
No, no, no.
The two switches have different sized escutcheons, and the push button with the plastic rod would not pass through the newer switch body. Evil or Very Mad

So, using my new found knowledge of the switch anatomy, I took my life in my hands and hacked into the OG switch... Rolling Eyes
This time I did a neater job, cutting into the switch with a Dremel cutoff wheel and pulling out the internals (after drilling the rubber valve with a large drill bit). This means the two halves of the switch stay together. Pretty quickly ended up with a nicely modified wiper switch. As I say, I'll probably use the switch to trigger the pump via a small relay.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

or this ;
out of a " 67" and up , 12 volt
If you do this be prepared ; you will need a longer " fender " bolt , and the gas vent line and clip have to be moved in a 12 volt 66 .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

For the switch I used a headlight switch with a bad dimming rheostat, pull to the first stop for low speed, second stop for high and twist for wash, the wash position is not momentary so you have to turn it back to stop the pump but simple and works.

Gary
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

A couple of hints, I made the same:

1) the switch has 2 terminal and pump needs + and -; I suggest to make connection directly on the main wiper switch where the source you need are already there (53b and 31), so from the two-switch-assembly exits a bipolar wire straight to the pump

2) between pump outlet and spray nozzle you need a non-return valve so spraying is immediate; they are cheap and ebay available. Elsewere after every "pumping" water returns into the bottle.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
A couple of hints, I made the same:

1) the switch has 2 terminal and pump needs + and -; I suggest to make connection directly on the main wiper switch where the source you need are already there (53b and 31), so from the two-switch-assembly exits a bipolar wire straight to the pump

2) between pump outlet and spray nozzle you need a non-return valve so spraying is immediate; they are cheap and ebay available. Elsewere after every "pumping" water returns into the bottle.

Thanks Herbie1200. I was thinking along the same lines, except I think you could have a single switched hot wire to the pump (mine is in the spare wheel well) and just have a short ground directly to the chassis.
As to the valve, I think my pump arrangement must have one already, as there is no backflow.
I'll post pics when I eventually put the car together!

Johnerzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

I followed your switch conversion and it works great. I changed the pump with one from Moss Motors for a 71 MGB, it will suck the fluid from the reservoir. I attached the pump to the the stock reservoir behind the tire on my 70 Bug Conv. I then connected the line from the tire to the top of the reservoir but it is not screwed on tight enough to with draw air from the tire. I placed a back flow preventer from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump so it holds the fluid in the line to the nozzle. Here are pictures for you to look at. It appears as stock but works like a new system.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

This arrangement seems strange.

Those pumps do not suck water, they should be under the level of water, to be always full of water.

you had the needing of connect the spare whell is for this issue: that pump is not auto-feeding. But in this way you lose advantages of have an electric pump; this arrangement is like an electric valve.

My suggests:
1) eliminate the hose to the spare wheel
2) reposition the pump UNDER the reservoir, find a room near the bump bracket
3) drill a small hole AT THE BOTTOM of the reservoir to feed the pump, so the pump is always filled with water. This connector can be a simple tire valve with the internal plug removed
4) at the top of the reservoir, make the existing connection free for air intake. If it is like a tire valve, simply remove the internal plug; this air is to replace the water used by pump
5) keet the non-return valve, it is fundamental to have a quick spray
Johnerzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

This pump does suck, I have used them before and this one sucks and sprays fine. The arrangement with the pump on top of reservoir fits well and under the reservoir does not. This set up is convenient and with the tire in place the area under the hood looks original.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to convert wiper/washer switch to run an electric pump Reply with quote

To be correct: does this pump spray also if you disconnect the hose from the spare tire? My suspect is that this pump needs a positive pressure, like all other washer pumps.

The location I suggest for the pump is in a corner under/behind the spare wheel, and a small hose from bottom of the reservoir towards the pump.

All hidden, until the spare wheel is removed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: