Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Crew Cab running weird
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greendevil332
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: 64 Crew Cab running weird Reply with quote

What's up thesamba, i'm having a problem with my '64 transporter crew cab. Long story short, I cleaned both the carbs (it has twin solex carbs) and put them back in, but now the truck doesn't sound right. It runs real rough, almost as though it's not running on all cylinders although i'm not sure. I'm also noticing an unusual amount of bluish smoke (which does not smell like gas, it just has a burnt smell). The weirdest thing, though, is that when you give it gas, the RPMs stay high for a couple seconds and then gradually return to idle. It's not a problem with the throttle linkage, because just by moving it with my hand while it's running I give it gas and then quickly move it back to idle, but the RPMs still lag and stay high for a couple seconds.

Any tips are appreciated Very Happy also if you guys like i can record a video.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love videos! puppies, kittens, buses, you name it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
greendevil332
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BytOjuLSV3CrOHVqNF9rQnBZeEE/edit?usp=sharing
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a same similar issue. One of your carbs isn't getting fuel. In my case, it was a stuck needle valve. To trouble shoot, pull a spark plug with the engine running. Dies, then that cylinder was getting fuel. No difference is the side you need to trouble shoot the carb on.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Had a same similar issue. One of your carbs isn't getting fuel. In my case, it was a stuck needle valve. To trouble shoot, pull a spark plug wire with the engine running. Dies, then that cylinder was getting fuel. No difference is the side you need to trouble shoot the carb on.

Shocked I wouldn't advise pulling a plug out with the engine running. But, I knew what you meant. And use rubber gloves or insulated pliers. Those 24,000 volts tend to tingle a bit.

On the video it sounds like an exhaust leak. Did it sound like that before you worked on it? Are the wires on the spark plug ends fully engaged?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check valve adjustment.
Check timing.
Sync carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe look at your accelerator pumps for that sustained high rev issue. idle doesn't sound so smooth either. i would pull plugs and look for vacuum leaks to narrow the idle thing down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: