Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Blue-paint code ??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know but finding out what's original would certainly be helpful to more of us few.

If I had found a Blizzard White Thing that fit my fancy, I would have had it repainted like an Acapulco in scheme but with the colors Light Ivory (L80E) and Phoenix Red (L32K). The 914 had a special edition with that color combo called The Creamsicle. Of course, I would have called my 181 The Thingsicle.

The Phoenix Red has enough of an orange hue to it, that the Thing Shop orange and white striped seats would have worked.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this post will make things clearer or more confused, but here's what I turned up and cross referenced.

In my box of receipts that came with my Acapulco, there were three receipts for paint colors -- all in the same time frame. The part codes listed on the invoices were:

LD 000 55G.01
LD 000 55G.03
LD 55G

and

LD 000 90H.01
LD 000 90H.03
LD 90H

From what I can gather, the distinction between ".01" and ".03" is one is a spray and the other is a container of liquid (size unknown). The shorter codes were on a separate receipt. No other details were given on these receipts besides the purchaser (Thing owner) and VW dealer.

Searching 1974 VW colors on the site that rhymes with Thing led me to this site:

1974 colors

As you can see, neither L55G nor L90H are listed. L55Z -- our friend, Delft Blue -- is listed and clearly appears too dark. I then searched Volkswagen L55G and found this:

Pacific Blue

It may be a bit light using my monitor but it is close. There is no mention of Thing, just "sedan." The "Das Tank" site also lists Pacific Blue for VINs 183 2000 001 and up but it lists the code as being L55F or L55G, and there is no mention of Acapulco.

Still, it is a lead worth pursuing further.

Then, there's the white code. The search using "Volkswagen L90H" revealed this:

Cream White

The interesting thing here is it is listed for a 1972 Bus. Even more quirky, the same previous owner owned a '72 Bus at the same time. But before I dismissed this as the owner buying two different paints for two different vehicles, I did some cross checking.

The "Das Tank" site lists Cream White as being L90C for Things with VINs 183 2000 001 and up, and for Acapulco models. It also lists L90C as being Blizzard White for 1973-74 Things (an obvious US distinction).

Making things even more interesting, "Das Tank" then lists L90H as being Toga White for VINs up to 182 2000 001. And as if this wasn't enough, the two Cream White listings (both L90C), the Blizzard White listing (also L90C), and the Toga White listing (L90H) all have the same VW part number -- LKL090H00 -- which doesn't exactly match any part numbers I listed above but curiously all reference the "H" rather than the "C".

Here, again, is the "Das Tank" site link.

At some point, I may order some touch-up L55G and L90H and see how they look when applied on some test panel.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
At some point, I may order some touch-up L55G and L90H and see how they look when applied on some test panel.

I did this a couple of weeks ago. The L90H white came in. The color through the bottle looks like a perfect match to my Acapulco but I have not tested it on anything yet.

Unfortunately, the company did not have the formula for the L55G blue. So that part of the order was ditched with a refund.

Another company, PaintScratch, also offers the color. The bug-a-boo with them is orders to Maryland (and a few other states) will only be sent as a paint that is water-based due to the state's regulation. That's too bad because PS states water-based colors will have a less of a chance on matching original paint, and I had nice success with PS in the past with my '71 Super before the Maryland regualtion came into effect.

I'm searching for another source that has this color. I will also try to get a sample of Bahama Blue (L519). I saw the color on some wheels and it looks darn close. Unfortunately, Internet pics on a monitor like little color swatches are hard to gauge in what they really look like in person. The swatch for my Super looked tan but it ended up being the correct yellow.

More to come ...
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can pretty much confirm L55G (Pacific Blue) is not the blue for the Acapulco. Since it was listed for the Type 2 and the previous owner also owned a Type 2 at some point, he must have ordered the L90H and the L55G at the same time but they weren't for the same car.

I did a little dab'll do ya on the bumper bolts. Since Thing was parked in the shade, the bumper looks a tad dark. Nevertheless, the contrast in the two blues is unmistakeable. (Better than tarnished or rust as a couple of the bolts were.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I may try Bahama Blue (L519) just because it was close, and I may try Delft Blue (L55Z) just because it was listed as being proper (although I still think it is too dark to be really it).

If they fail, I will have to go the color match route. More to come ...
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more tidbit of an update ...

I dug up a little brochure -- a double-sided single-page sheet that's folded multiple times actually. It was probably strategically placed as reading material on the showroom floor while the salesman would talk to the sales mangler on your behalf <cough cough>. It gives color swatches of the different VWs of 1974 in silhouettes of each model. One panel is simply called "1974 Volkswagen Colors" and one panel is propaganda on how VW's paint is "more to it than meets the eye." (I actually saw someone on eBay trying to sell this for something like $150 Shocked .)

The blues listed were:
Alaska Blue Metallic
Orient Blue
Neptune Blue
Marina Blue
Olympic Blue

I also went to the site where I purchased the Pacific Blue (10% discount on my next order -- woohoo) and they listed the five colors above, Pacific Blue, and the following for 1974:
Niagara Blue
Marathon Blue Metallic*
Delphi Blue
Ontario Blue Metallic
Miami Blue**
Ancona Blue Metallic**

* - Marathon Blue Metallic was also listed in the Colors brochure but listed as Marathon Silver Metallic. If you have seen the color, you can understand why it might be co-listed as being different. One of my faves, by the way, but that's a different matter.

** - Since years of manufacture and model years are slightly different, I checked 1975 online as well, and these two additional blues were there.

One negative -- the Colors brochure did not list paint codes.

Obviously, we can rule out the metallic blues.

One more curious footnote -- Delft Blue (L55Z) was not listed online. However, Delphi Blue was listed and had the same L55Z code. Seeing a little dot online is hard to tell anything, but since sources believe L55Z is the right color blue for Acapulco Things, that will be my next attempt.

If that doesn't work, I know I will have to try something darker than L55G and I will know if I have to go darker or lighter than L55Z. If possible, I will also try a color in the Colors brochure which may narrow it down once and for all. More to come ...
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a passing comment on another thread about an Acapulco for sale on eBay, then selling elsewhere. That comment created an exit ramp for the original topic so I have brought it here plus a few more tidbits of information.

oasis wrote:
... I wish it had a color code sticker. If it did, it would probably only mention the white but it would be nice if the blue was listed so solve that mystery once and for all. My Super had its color ID under the front lid. Did any 181s have them?

GI Joe wrote:
Has Ron Domeck not given you a color code??? Ron, c'mon!!!! Wink

Ron Domeck wrote:
I have stated in another post that we never could find the code and I used the back of the dash to scan for a match then tweeked it in an offered the mix formula in PPG.

hobie16 wrote:
Could you repost it?

I assume hobie16 is hoping Ron Domeck has the tweaking formula to repost.

Meanwhile, I shot some pics with previously mentioned single-page, fold-out brochure.

Less shade on license plate light awning than on bumper; same color

Marina Blue (Beetle and Super Beetle sedans) on left

Olympic Blue (Super Beetle convertibles and Karmann Ghia sedans and convertibles) on right

Idea Gosh, Olympic Blue looks darn close to me. Idea

Funny enough, here's the ad if you want a $169 brochure of your very own Rolling Eyes
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, will post Mon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

hobie16 wrote:
Could you repost it?

I assume hobie16 is hoping Ron Domeck has the tweaking formula to repost.

Ron Domeck wrote:
Yes, will post Mon.

Thanks!!

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not ask, are you repainting or touching up? The formula I have is for repainting and has been matched to panels that has not been exposed, back side of the dash. It is also base/ clear. I do not match to the 40 year old paint that has faded. If you are trying to match a old paint panel again I will say, go to a automotive paint store and have your panel scanned. Also it will make a difference if you have a hood scanned and need to paint a bumper. Panels will vary as to were they were exposed to weather. With a single stage the scan will also pick up that it is semi gloss. So if you need to I can post this formula that is for a quart of base that will not have a shine and expect to pay about $100.00 for the quart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I did not ask, are you repainting or touching up?

hobie16 resurrected this thread from 2010 about a year ago because of a dead link. It was also around the time I had purchased my Acapulco. I'm not sure of hobie16's motives. My motive is to know once and for all what was the proper blue.

I couldn't (and to some degree, still can't) believe VW went through the trouble of mixing up a brand new blue just for <insert debatable number here> Acapulco model Things. The accepted color, Delft Blue, seems too dark.

As for actual application, I basically have two on my to do list besides a possible touch-up here or there. One is the bolts I painted in the pic where the bumpers are mounted. Those in the pic were rusty so a non-matching blue was no real bother. When I get the other test blues, I will probably apply them to the same area.

The other is for the dash panel to the right of the speedo. The one currently in my dash is textured rather than smooth, and black rather than blue. I have a smooth replacement panel for it, but it needs paint. (I'm not doing anything until I figure out what radio (or radios) I will use to replace the existing radio, and where I will place it (or them) instead of to the right of textured dash panel.)

I would prefer to know the correct original blue. If the third panel once painted doesn't match the other two, they would be painted also.

If I got myself into a pinch where the hood or side panel needed painting, I would likely then go to a shop and have them color match it properly.

However, if discovering the correct original blue isn't possible, knowing your formula would have the advantage of having a consistent blue formula as a reference. (Again, hobie16 may have another motive.)

Back to my Thing, it does not suffer from fade because it did receive a respray at some point in its life. Whoever did it did a very nice job. They did not go the semi-gloss route, however.

The previous owner did buy paint at some point. I was hoping both the blue and white were ordered for Thing. It now seems the white was for Thing but the blue was for his Bus or Rabbit (most likely, the Bus).

If you have a formula to share, I think it would prove to be a valuable resource to many -- perhaps including me even though I will pursue the original blue until I have hit every dead end. Since restoring Things is something you do for money as well as for love, I would understand if you wanted to keep it to yourself.

Sorry for rambling. My motives tend to be a recipe for rambling. It sure makes my wife drowsy. Wink
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have discovered the reason Delft Blue (also called Delphi Blue) -- L55Z -- may be sited as the "correct" blue for the Acapulco. Check out the taxis of Acapulco and darn if the blue of these taxis aren't darker like the swatches of Delft Blue.

Think
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be glad to post what I have, wanted all to know why colors don't match and not spend money on a quart and wonder what went wrong. oasis, you said your car had a repaint. Do you know for a fact what color is on your car? This is what I deal with as a painter. I would paint all 3 dash panels at one time on your car even if I had the same can of paint that was used .

PPG DBU Basecoat Quart Formula

Product Parts Cumulative

DMD 629 76.6
DMD 624 105.1
DMD 662 189.9
DMD 658 330.6
DMD 663 553.6
DMD 615 753.2
DBX 695 960.9
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
wanted all to know why colors don't match and not spend money on a quart and wonder what went wrong.

Sage advice. I hope my response didn't come off as dismissive. Total respect.

Ron Domeck wrote:
oasis, you said your car had a repaint. Do you know for a fact what color is on your car?

No, unfortunately.

I was hoping the color purchased by the previous owner would match. Then, I could hunt down an original concours condition Acapulco and do a comparison. So far, I'm shooting blanks.

I'm not deterred. I discovered a lot of interesting stuff about Super Beetles a few years back. Not sure it was appreciated, but it always satisfied my curiosity. I feel like the Blues Brothers on a mission ... well, y'know.

One thing I forgot to mention. I bought an August 1997 VW Trends because on the cover it was "Goin' Acapulco -- a Beachin' Thing." But, alas, the doodle with that Acapulco also came up with something "close" for his blue and it wasn't even an Acapulco originally.

Oh, well. Thanks to you and others, we have real world solutions. But, some day ...
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Acapulco on the cover was Reed Cowans car. I also checked again on the parts microfitche and the only code for M660 showed the white. You can see why over the years we had to match the blue without a code.
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Blue-paint code ?? Reply with quote

So what paint is everybody using for their ACAPULCO white paint?

Cream White

L90C
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Blue-paint code ?? Reply with quote

L90H Blizzard White
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Blue-paint code ?? Reply with quote

The paper tag in the trunk of my Acapulco is stamped cream white.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: