Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mountain Biking
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
BUMP almost 2 years. I'm shopping for a new bike. Stuff ain't what it used to be. 29" rims, 2 chain rings, hydro brakes? Shocked Back in the early 90s I had GT Zaskar with XT drivetrain,I put the components on a Raleigh John Tomac later on. I still have both frames... but they cannot be upgraded due to age and tech advances. It seems GT is not the brand it used to be. I have my eye on Trek or Specialized. I'm not going to race anymore, but I want "The last bike I'll ever buy" ( I'll be 50 this year). I'm looking at a cross country or single track bike due to Fla. conditions. Any insight?

Check out Virginia Key Bike Club facebook page. There are some mtb demo events coming up at the park. Exit 1 off I95 so about 50 miles south of you. You can try 29er, 26er, full suspension, hardtail etc.

If you see a green bay Westy or dove blue panel splitty then i'm there.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the area, I grew up in Kendall. In the late 80s early 90s we rode Virginia Key behind the treatment plant. We called it the "Moon" 'cause that's what it looked like. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I know the area, I grew up in Kendall. In the late 80s early 90s we rode Virginia Key behind the treatment plant. We called it the "Moon" 'cause that's what it looked like. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Just saw an announcement. The demo day is 2/2 so this Saturday.

Also, your moon grew trees! You won't recognize the place.

I too had a "moon" growing up in northeast PA. It was an abandoned coal dump that burned for years...a combination of black soot and red ash...perfect for riding.
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My season was cut short this year due to a blown MC in my rear brake...

Good excuse to upgrade! Can't wait to hit the singletrack in the spring!

'71 Westy "Maggie" - M-Plate

Parts for sale!
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the wife rented bikes and rode Alafia during Bullibrigade weekend. I wish I had more time to explore it, but what I saw of it was real nice.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to dust off my old trusty steed....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
Me and the wife rented bikes and rode Alafia during Bullibrigade weekend. I wish I had more time to explore it, but what I saw of it was real nice.

Beautiful park.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Post race picture a few seasons ago. It rained some after the first lap. 45-50 min. first lap, 1 hour 45 mins for the second lap. The mud would lock up both wheels from rolling and you had to stop find a stick and poke and rub the mug off your wheels so it would roll. Did that about 10 times. I placed 3rd for my age group that day. I'm a middle of the pack finisher most times.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to look to replace my 1992 vintage Rock Hopper with something a little more modern...

Been cruising Craig's list and seeing all kinds kind of stuff, but having been out to the loop for as long as I have no idea what the quality brands and components are nowadays....

Any suggestions as to what is the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Thanks

P.S. Have been looking on Pink Bike too!
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the options available and price points you'll need to let us know what type of riding you want to do and how much you want to spend. I recently picked up a Salsa Mamasita 29er on ebay and got a great deal.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
With all the options available and price points you'll need to let us know what type of riding you want to do and how much you want to spend. I recently picked up a Salsa Mamasita 29er on ebay and got a great deal.

For the spend, I am looking at about $500 to $750.... I have seen some nice new bikes for that price, but like most of the things I own, I have gotten some screaming deals with some top shelve used equipment...

As for my riding, mainly fire roads, steep hills, nothing too radical downhill wise. I have contemplating rear suspension, but the disc breaks are a must...

I came across a Giant Trance II the other day for $600... but the owner had second thoughts about selling it...then I see he re-posted it for $750.00 and today the ad is gone...

With that, I am a little confused about advantages and disadvantages of the 26, 27.5 and 29... wheels. I know that I am an XL frame.. at least that is what the bike shop told me...

Appreciate your help
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn’t touch a full suspension bike for the price you’re wanting to spend unless it was just the frame. I’m sure there are some deals out there, but you’ll find so much more in a used bike if you look for hardtails (ht). You should have no problem finding something with a decent front shock with SRAM X7 or X9 components. Shimano equivalents would be Deore, LX, XT stuff. Hydraulic disc brakes at that upper end of your price should be no problem either. Cable actuated discs are decent though.

I’m assuming you’re at least 6’ if a shop is recommending an XL frame??? If you are then don’t even consider anything but a 29er. I’m 6’3” and can’t believe the difference going from 26” to 29” wheels. The larger diameter wheels soak up the smaller bumps making 29er ht's way more plush than the smaller wheel ht’s. With a ht you’ll also be saving a ton of weight. Google” advantages and disadvantages of 26” and 29” wheels” and you’ll get a ton of info.

If you do go the full susp route make sure the shocks aren’t blown and all the linkage/pivot points are in good shape. Those repairs can add up fa$t and a squeaky pivots just suck on a trail.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
Personally, I wouldn’t touch a full suspension bike for the price you’re wanting to spend unless it was just the frame. I’m sure there are some deals out there, but you’ll find so much more in a used bike if you look for hardtails (ht). You should have no problem finding something with a decent front shock with SRAM X7 or X9 components. Shimano equivalents would be Deore, LX, XT stuff. Hydraulic disc brakes at that upper end of your price should be no problem either. Cable actuated discs are decent though.

I’m assuming you’re at least 6’ if a shop is recommending an XL frame??? If you are then don’t even consider anything but a 29er. I’m 6’3” and can’t believe the difference going from 26” to 29” wheels. The larger diameter wheels soak up the smaller bumps making 29er ht's way more plush than the smaller wheel ht’s. With a ht you’ll also be saving a ton of weight. Google” advantages and disadvantages of 26” and 29” wheels” and you’ll get a ton of info.

If you do go the full susp route make sure the shocks aren’t blown and all the linkage/pivot points are in good shape. Those repairs can add up fa$t and a squeaky pivots just suck on a trail.

Good stuff... thanks and I appreciate your time...
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on yor budget and described riding I'd say a used hardtail 29er w/100mm fork would serve you best. I'd also recommend a steel frame. Aluminum hardtails can be pretty harsh feeling on rough terrain. Salsa El Mariachi and Surly Karate Monkey come to mind. Both are both great bikes for the money but probably closer to $1000 used.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubblehead wrote:
I'd also recommend a steel frame. Aluminum hardtails can be pretty harsh feeling on rough terrain.

Yep, I bought a '93 GT Zaskar new all XT (aluminum). Great bike but the frame was unforgiving. After a year I swapped the components to a Raleigh John Tomac (aluminum front and chromoly rear), the frame absorbed much more of the shock than the Zaskar.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn for some help. I bought a new 29er hardtail with Elixer3 hydraulic brakes. First time with hydro's. I don't ride very often anymore. The bike was fine for the first 6 months, I parked it about a month ago and now the brakes are frozen front and back. The levers won't pull in. I don't have the bleed tools, looks like I have to take it to the shop.
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^that is strange. Are the pads stuck to the rotors? If you can get the pads out, spray some penetrating lube around the pistons and maybe free things up. I have Elixirs on a bike ( three years old now ) and no issues. It's been ridden a lot and sits through the winter. I actually have hydros on four bikes, including some ten year old XTRs, and they are less trouble than any cable brakes I've ever had.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride all the time but it's been 7 years. I just got my old rockhopper from storage last week. I'm kind of excited about some light riding again, Nothing crazy Laughing Need to find a bike rack for the old bug though but I'm not seeing a whole lot out there.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: