Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ECVW - East Coast Visiting West 2014
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 19: Oh boy, this morning it was raining and we knew that the rain would be with us almost all day. It is a shame because the road we took seemed really nice. Today was our last day with Joe and David. Shortly before Charleston WV, Joe/David took the lead because it was at that place that we had to say goodbye (sniff, sniff, sniff). David’s wife, daughter and son-in-law were waiting for us at the gas station. We chat a bit with them and had to say a last goodbye (before MOTB in October). Joe and David, it was a real pleasure to cross your country with you two, you are good companions and hopefully one day we will have the chance to make another long trip with you. The remaining of the day was a little bit better, the rain did ceased. Unfortunately, the pictures do not justify the beauty of this road, so you have two options: take your dune buggy (or car, less fun) and come visiting the area, or wait for Vincent and I were we will return to share sunnier pictures.

For dinner we went to the Pies and Pints restaurant to eat delicious pizza and of course, drink beers. We really now have new friends and a specially the Boston-Mabin. We really enjoyed every moment that we spent with them and I can’t wait to see them again.

Tomorrow it will be another tough day because the family Boston-Mabin will leave us along the road (sniff, sniff, sniff). Vincent and I will do a stop at Cortland in NY State and will leave really early on Monday morning to go back home. Wow, this trip went by so quickly. We hope that Mother Nature will be more cooperative tomorrow and Monday to allow us to finish our trip in beauty.

Distance: 535 Miles (861KM)
Min Temp: 66F (19C)
Max Temp: 79F (26C)
States: SC, NC, TN, VA, KY, WV
Beers: Doggie Style, Chestnut Brew Works Porter

Good evening and talk to you tomorrow.

Vincent and France

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the rain, that looks like some Beautiful Country! Congratulations to an awesome group of people on an awesome adventure! and Thank You so much for taking us along with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, today was another day where we had to say goodbye to an EXTRAORDINARY family (Boston-Mabin). We left the hotel around 8am (yes I know a bit late but we wanted to spend more time with our friends). No rain on the horizon, so no top. It was a bit cold but at least the sun was up. At the risk of repeating myself, I really enjoyed the company of the Boston-Mabin family, chemistry immediately spent with them and I can’t wait to see them again. I think a beautiful friendship has just been created and I intend to maintain many more years.
Just after Carlisle, this is where our roads split. Thank you to Stephanie who have immortalized the last mile on video and thank you for all the wonderful conversations and times spent with you.
We felt very alone Vincent and I. Lunch at Burger King, sitting at a table for two, left alone on the road, the chemistry is not the same.
Before arriving at the hotel, we stopped at the Advance Auto Zone to replace the front light that burned.
For dinner we went to Hairy Tony’s. Good restaurant however we ate on the terrace and I didn’t miss the smoker.

Good evening to all, tomorrow morning we should leave really early the hotel to return to the apartment and send our last summary.
Distance: 432 Miles (695KM)
States: WV, MD, PA, NY
Min Temp: 68F (20C)
Max Temp: 90F (32C)
Beers: Horseheads IPA, Middle Ages Wailing Wench

Talk to you tomorrow.

Vincent and France who feel very lonely.

[img]http://www.debrouillard.ca/ph/dune%20buggy/2014/trips/ecvw/day20/P7208715-2[/img]
[img]http://www.debrouillard.ca/ph/dune%20buggy/2014/trips/ecvw/day20/P7208716-2[/img]
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, here is the last recap of our wonderful adventure of the ECVW 2014. We left Cortland NY this morning at 5:55am. The radar didn’t show any rain so we drove without the top. Few clouds were present but more we were driving to Canada, the clouds dissipated and the sun became more and more present. We arrived at the boarder and there were no cars in the Nexus line so within 30 seconds (the only question was: did you bring something) and we were into Canada. We arrived at our apartment around 10:30am.

See below few statistics:

Distance: 7,772 miles (12,509KM)
States: 29 visited States: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Maryland.
Provinces: 2 visited: Quebec, Ontario.
Beers: More than 30 different kind, see few of them: Post-Prohibition IPA, Moretti, Schlafly IPA, Unfiltered Wheat, Oatmeal Stout, FT. Fletcher American IPA, Coors, Left Hand 400 Lb Monkey, Odell Myrcenary, Avalanche, Laughing Lab, Hop Strike Black IPA, Draft Damber, Draft L’yard Diamond Down, DR Stone IPA, Pacifico, Laguinitas IPA, Bud, Rogue Dead Guy, Red River Hay Ryed, Great Raft, Fat Tire, Black & Sam, White Thai, Quest, Doggie Style, Chestnut Brew Works Porter, Horseheads IPA, Middle Ages Wailing Wench
Min Temperature: 48F (9C)
Max Temperature: 133.1F (56.17C)
Total Fuel used: 308 Gals (1,165.91 liter)
Average mileage: 25 MPG (9.4L/100)
Moving Average: 55MPH (88.5Km/h)
Hours behind the wheel: 141 hours, 42 hours stopped = 183 hours total
Oil changes : 2
Oil consumed : ¼ quart (excluding the oil changes)

This adventure started as a reply to the West people who came to see us in North Carolina last October. We knew that it was possible because Vincent and I had done it a few times in the past; it was now time to see if people would follow us in that crazy adventure. Family Boston-Mabin (Paul, Stephanie, Brittany, Alexandra, Mackenzie, Evan), Joseph Wheeler, David Cash, Kathleen and Tom Iacoboni, Chris Lewis and the Byrnes’ family (Tim, Barb, Kimberly and Emily) were those who accepted the invitation. We really enjoyed being with all of you and we would like to thank you…our vacation will stay in our memories for a very long time. Thanks as well to people who followed us via our recaps. We hope you enjoyed them. Our next trip will be in October to go to North Carolina for the MOTB 2014 event.

Next year, we should have a second edition of ECVW, this time by driving north of the USA, we should stop to North Dakota, Oregon, Washington (State), San Francisco, Big Sur, Disneyland…brief, details to follow soon.

All good things come to an end and tomorrow I am going back at work (Vincent worked today).

Thanks to my wonderful husband who drove the 7,772.9 miles and was an exemplary of patience. Many people have enjoyed following you, you were conscious of our friends and I thank you. I hope you still have the desire to travel because for me it is a great vacation.

Have a nice evening.

Vincent and France xxx¸

Last edited by vincent9993 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on another awesome road trip! You 2 are such an inspiration to travel in the buggy, Lori Ann & I are already discussing/planning The "Shuffle to Buffalo" journey slated for June 2015! To those that just stressed out preparing for this epic adventure (you know what I mean) the 2nd trip is a piece of cake. To those that are still on the fence about attempting a trip like this, just look at the smiles on the faces of those involved, it doesn't matter if there was rain, wind, heat or even hail, they had great big smiles! and would do it all over again! Hell you go through withdrawals for days/weeks after you return home. So get those buggies prepared! and hit the road!

Vincent and France Welcome Home!

Lori Ann & Mike Dario
2013 Sea to Sea Safari 3300 miles(completed)
2014 Manx Baja Tour 2500 miles(completed)
2015 Shuffle off to Buffalo 5000-6000 miles(planning)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vicarious thrills and of course the excellent photo documentation!

You forgot a state; I'm pretty sure you couldn't have resisted stepping in all four corners at Four Corners!
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
Congratulations on another awesome road trip! You 2 are such an inspiration to travel in the buggy, Lori Ann & I are already discussing/planning The "Shuffle to Buffalo" journey slated for June 2015! To those that just stressed out preparing for this epic adventure (you know what I mean) the 2nd trip is a piece of cake. To those that are still on the fence about attempting a trip like this, just look at the smiles on the faces of those involved, it doesn't matter if there was rain, wind, heat or even hail, they had great big smiles! and would do it all over again! Hell you go through withdrawals for days/weeks after you return home. So get those buggies prepared! and hit the road!

Vincent and France Welcome Home!

Lori Ann & Mike Dario
2013 Sea to Sea Safari 3300 miles(completed)
2014 Manx Baja Tour 2500 miles(completed)
2015 Shuffle off to Buffalo 5000-6000 miles(planning)

Ok...(holding up hand high)...I was one that stressed out. I admit it! (Hello, my name is Tim...Im a stress-a-holic)

I also want to thank Vincent and France for being the catalyst for the epic journey that our family was able to embark upon with this outstanding ECVW group. Words cannot express our gratitude, love, admiration, kinship, and so many other adjectives that just seem so inadequate to express how we feel about our ECVW crew.

I also want to thank those that went on the C2C safari that sparked our interest to even consider this undertaking. They all welcomed me at Nashville and made me feel like family. Thats what its all about...the people. The buggies are what bring us together, but its the people that make it real, and I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I know that Barb, Kim and Emily also feel the same and have expressed it in many ways to everyone.

To those on the fence. As the Nike slogan goes, Just Do It. Seriously, it is the most incredible, epic journey and adventure you will have! Talk it over with your significant other, run some numbers, discuss vacation, talk to your loved ones and if you even remotely think you can do it, then by all means, do it. You will not regret it!

Now, about this Shuffle to Buffalo. The time frame I have heard is in June. Fun Fest in Effingham, Illinois is June 5-7, 2015. Wouldnt it be awesome to have the Shuffle to Buffalo crew ride into Fun Fest on the way to Buffalo? Its right on I-70, which would be on the way, if the Rt 66 (I-40/44/70) is taken (2600 miles from Valley Center to Buffalo). Time to start planning for two trips next year....Shuffle to Buffalo and MOTB 15!

Tim and Barb Byrnes
ECVW 2014-3000 miles (completed)

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made it home last night after a few extra days in CA visiting Kings Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco and stopping at Manxchassis to have a rear bumper made for the Manx. Kathleen flew home Sunday night, I hit the road Saturday afternoon and had a lonely trip home. Much better with a group, especially the ECVW group. Thanks Vincent & France for setting this up and thanks to the ECVW group for a fun time. Tom & Kathleen
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA

Last edited by Tom_Kathleen on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear your home safe and sound Tom, I wasn't sure if the Life 360 was with you or Kathleen, now I know.

Mike
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Manx Reply with quote

Glad to see you all made it home safe and sound !
And with memories that will last a life time!
See you at Manx on the Banx !
Make Plans on your calendar for Manx Over the Falls 2015
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I estimate that 6 Dune Buggy drove the combined distance of roughly 33,000 miles. Here are the known parts that were replaced

List of parts that failed or were replaced:
  • Front transmission mount
  • Electric fuel pump
  • Right rear disc brake
  • Gen control modual
  • Transmission
  • Left front wheel bearings (inner & outter)
  • Sparkplug wires

I say "Not bad for 45+ year old cars!"
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate.post

Last edited by RedBaronofRedBud on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
I estimate that 6 Dune Buggy drove the combined distance of roughly 33,000 miles. Here are the known parts that were replaced

List of parts that failed or were replaced:
  • Front transmission mount
  • Electric fuel pump
  • Right rear disc brake
  • Gen control modual
  • Transmission
  • Left front wheel bearings (inner & outter)
  • Sparkplug wires

I say "Not bad for 45+ year old cars!"

Thanks, Vincent! I was wondering what the "part count" totaled! (We won't count my truck...too new. Wink)

We are still missing the road. Something about an epic adventure with great friends...its priceless!

monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need to add the following items to the replaced list:
two rear brake rotors...one set of splines stripped on the one so both were replaced at big bear.

the generator on the monocoque only to find that the voltage rgulator was the culprit. That is a funny story as well. How come all of the stories are funny when it comes to this trip?

one additional set of plug wires

one rear light bulb and one ATO fuse on the monocoque ( that burned out on my trip from sc to indiana before i met up with the ecvw crew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When near southern Oklahoma, you shoulda drove the talamina drive through the Kiamichi mountains.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've crunched more data from our trip and I was able to cross the data from:
  • Data log - France's detailed trip log
  • CC Statement
  • GPS Tracker
  • Picture time stamps
  • Trip recaps

Here are the corrected and verified numbers:
24.04MPG
7,610 Total Miles
316.5 Total Gals
4,018 Avg cost per gals (Super)
$1,273.47 Total fuel cost
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to all Vincent's pictures????

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
What happened to all Vincent's pictures????

They'll be back by the week-end... My server blew a gasket...
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monomanx wrote:
we need to add the following items to the replaced list:
two rear brake rotors...one set of splines stripped on the one so both were replaced at big bear.

the generator on the monocoque only to find that the voltage rgulator was the culprit. That is a funny story as well. How come all of the stories are funny when it comes to this trip?

one additional set of plug wires

one rear light bulb and one ATO fuse on the monocoque ( that burned out on my trip from sc to indiana before i met up with the ecvw crew

Need to add a set of L brackets for my skid plate. One broke and had to be wired for the duration. Also, a shift knob. The one I used in the trip stripped out and was replaced with a much nicer unit.

Did we mention chase vehicle issues or problems? We had a seal leak, but bars leak fixed that and the exhaust broke before the muffler and I put an adapter sleeve on it (in the OReilys parking lot in Barstow). Did Paul's plastic storage box get mentioned?? His Durango was hungry! Oh, and Toms vans trailer flat four pigtail.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: