Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I had forgotten
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: I had forgotten Reply with quote

So about 10 years ago, everyone was into bugs. Then they started doing buses and I got sucked into that too. Now i have a bug again and I had forgotten how great they are. Easy to fix and peppy. I see what seems like good deals on bugs again. Old covertibles and ragtops seem way cheap now compared to about 10 years agoafter adjusting for inflation. You can buy a nice bug for a months wages and drive it anywhere. Glad to be back to beetles.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep an eye out for a cheap bug on here. And it seems to me that it's hard to find a deal in the cheap ones. Most under $5000 aren't even something you can drive off in. I liked the 67 I used to have, Nice year, The 66 too if you like the early look. But the valve is probably in the pre 58 bugs.
Pictures?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi westy steve ...welcome to the bug forum...I traded my 69 bus for a bug and haven't looked back

danwvw ; check local classifieds on craigslist for local deals ; several postings lately about craigslist bargains.....the best one was an early bug ( 63 I think ) with 19000 miles on it Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I try to keep an eye out for a cheap bug on here. And it seems to me that it's hard to find a deal in the cheap ones. Most under $5000 aren't even something you can drive off in. I liked the 67 I used to have, Nice year, The 66 too if you like the early look. But the valve is probably in the pre 58 bugs.
Pictures?

You're on the west coast and you can't find a good deal on a bug??? I'll see if I can post some pix.
bluenellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't come across many "deals" either....most sellers know the value in a nice original or restored Bug especially when they're truly rust free. I see a lot of posts on here where people bought a "great" bug for under $3k but they never follow it up with pics after stripping the car and finding rot...some even do and then say "luckily it just have some surface rust" while I'm looking at the pics and thinking to myself "just surface rust??"...start poking around most of the cheap cars with a screwdriver and a magnet and you'll quickly find out why those cars sell for so cheap!

Just my 0.02 of course Smile
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic opened a can of worms. A couple of points:

Even if you have to pay a fair price for a bug, they seem to be a good deal to me. Especially in comparison to buses.

There's a guy in our local car club who has bought more than one VW over the years and completely disassembled them in his quest to kill all rust. The net result is that he never has a running VW. There has to be a middle ground between hoodrides and stripping a car down to bare metal. IMHO, it's OK to arrest the rust as long as it is non-structural, and then roll the car when you're happy with the appearance. If you can buy a car for $3K, arrest the rust, make it look good, drive it around for a few years, and then sell it for as much as you paid for it with full disclosure to the owner, then what have you lost? Seems like you just rented a car for almost nothing and had great fun doing it.

I tell new club members (with their new "old" cars) not to take their cars apart for at least a year. Bond with the car. Enjoy it. See if you like the lifestyle. Then, and only then, strip it down. And ideally, after you bought another one to drive while you're fixing up the first one.

Steve
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the idea of finding a driver. I spent more than three years restoring my Type 3 and while that was fun in it's own way when I was done I wanted a project that wasn't much of a project...a driver Very Happy

Found my '61 after selling some stuff to raise the cash. It wasn't that cheap but it was the earliest decent driver I could afford. It runs and drives great and looks pretty dang good. There is some rust- in the rear of the pans and the driver's side inner fender, but it's not too bad and I am loving just driving it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
You're on the west coast and you can't find a good deal on a bug???

Sure...clapped-out rust buckets are plentiful and fairly inexpensive, but nice, rust-free, un-molested cars are very few & far between. And if you do manage to find one, it's gonna cost you.
When I was looking to buy a ragtop, I thought, "Hey, this is California...I should be able to find a nice one fairly easily". After three years of searching, I still had nothing. I'll admit that I was being picky, but I finally did find a nice, original, rust-free car in Idaho. I had it trucked back to CA, and it's now in storage waiting on a good clean-up & detailing.

The bottom line is, good original cars are getting scarce...even here on the West Coast.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cars here in Cali are rusty just like anywhere else. Good cars demand a premium, everyone in the world wants a "rust-free California car" right? I've noticed prices have increased by maybe 50% compared to a few years ago, maybe the economy? I dunno. Sometimes you see a good original survivor for a fairly low price, but they're few and far between, and usually not (or barely) running. And try finding one without stupid mods or atleast a hacked dash.

I used to see good original fastbacks for sale for pretty good prices, if I had the money I would have picked one up. It seems people don't care about them as much (people would rather have a squareback) and they were usually very original. Not the type of thing you see in online listings tho'. It's the type of thing you see for sale when driving down the street, sitting by the curb or in someone's driveway.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to feel I overpaid for my bug. I paid $3500 for it and it was a CA bug. Rust was minimal but I picked it up in pieces not knowing if it was all there. $4,000 later and I have a chassis that's finished but the body needs some small bondo work, interior, LOTS of misc stuff that the PO raped off of my one year only bug and a paint job. (Yes, I was an uneducated buyer when I purchased it) I guess I'll easily be $10,000 or more when I'm finished. And I don't imagine I'll ever get my money back on it...
Even though I don't INTEND on selling it-just good to know I could sell for a good profit-but I don't think I will be able to once I'm done:(
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
I'm starting to feel I overpaid for my bug. I paid $3500 for it and it was a CA bug. Rust was minimal but I picked it up in pieces not knowing if it was all there. $4,000 later and I have a chassis that's finished but the body needs some small bondo work, interior, LOTS of misc stuff that the PO raped off of my one year only bug and a paint job. (Yes, I was an uneducated buyer when I purchased it) I guess I'll easily be $10,000 or more when I'm finished. And I don't imagine I'll ever get my money back on it...
Even though I don't INTEND on selling it-just good to know I could sell for a good profit-but I don't think I will be able to once I'm done:(

Old car buying rules 1-3:
#1 No matter how skilled you'll always miss something in the pre-inspec
#2 So the car after purchase, no matter what condition will never be as nice as you thought it was prior.
#3 Always buy the best condition car you can afford, (if all you can afford is a basket case, maybe you shouldn't be in the market) as it'll save you money in the long run and likely will prevent you from being upside down.

For me #1 & 2 definitely applied as I sought a driver quality bug and have driven it for 12 years (now its time for a modest reconditioning).
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Darren on the rules. I will add this remember this is a business transaction, you need to look at with your brain & look for all the bad stuff then look at the good, also look in some other places as well as the classifieds. I dragged my type 3 out of a wrecking yard, the bad stuff was a long list, all I was looking for was a rust & rot free car. Interior easy, going to build a new motor, trans rebuild, you get the idea. I still have the car (25 plus years) needs a repaint & interior, rest is golden
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: