Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine Shop In Pa
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Machine Shop In Pa Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any machine shops which are familiar with working with VW engines near Bucks County, Pa?

There was one I had used in Easton pa, but he is no longer working on VW.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one you are referring to is in jail. Very Happy

What do you need done?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Ulrich or Valley VW, both are great.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get Ulrich to do mine. He was too busy to be bothered. I shipped my case to Brothers Machine shop in California. $35 UPS. I couldn't drive from Warminster to Ulrich's shop and back using the turnpike for that little bit.
Just my personal opinion here, and I have no clue as to whether he is any good or not except for his reputation, BUT, if he seemed too disinterested to fully engage in a conversation about a motor, just how much interest will he pay to a motor in front of him?

Ship it to Brothers, get it back in under two weeks, and rest assured you got the best in the business on it. Again, just my opinion.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
I tried to get Ulrich to do mine. He was too busy to be bothered. I shipped my case to Brothers Machine shop in California. $35 UPS. I couldn't drive from Warminster to Ulrich's shop and back using the turnpike for that little bit.
Just my personal opinion here, and I have no clue as to whether he is any good or not except for his reputation, BUT, if he seemed too disinterested to fully engage in a conversation about a motor, just how much interest will he pay to a motor in front of him?

Ship it to Brothers, get it back in under two weeks, and rest assured you got the best in the business on it. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up. I also need to ship the heads.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valley is supposed to be very good too. He is right up the road in St. Marys I believe. Just south of Mountaintop Pa.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give valley a call on Monday. I also did look at Brother's Machine shop. Love it that most prices for different machine services are listed.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used Keith's in WV with good results. On time, reasonable, and accurate work.
http://keithsautoparts.com/machine-shop/1381729
Prices posted on the site
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's Custom VW's is just inside Ohio, in Columbiana. He's been working on Aircooled VW's since 87, and has a full machine shop.

www.jimscustomvw.com
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:

I'm not doubting Axitech's experience here but I will say my experience with Gene was the exact opposite. He did my heads in 2 days time, a week before the car show at Maple Grove last year and seemed like a great guy the 2 or 3 times I have met him.

However, if shipping only costs $35 to bothers and back, I might have been able to save some gas money and time...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping a case from coast to coast for $35 would be a good deal. No way that's a there and back price. Especially if you opt for tracking and insurance.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Shipping a case from coast to coast for $35 would be a good deal. No way that's a there and back price. Especially if you opt for tracking and insurance.

I own a personalized wedding favor business and routinely ship weekly to California. The box I ship is 22x14x18 and weights 56 pounds. Depending on where in California I am shipping it cost me $67.00 to $79.00 to ship that box one way. I don't know off hand how much a case weights, but it has to be at least the same or more compared to what I am shipping. Tracking and insurance for $100 is included in FedEx pricing. FedEx ground shipping is slightly cheaper then UPS.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - check with Dennis at Valley VW. As far as heads go, depends on what you have as far as whether its more cost effective to just replace them instead of rebuild. Talk to him about that.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a shop near North West New Jersey to do some case and head work. I was contemplating going to a performance engine shop 30 minutes from me to see if he could cut a case and set of heads for 92mm. It's no backyard setup and I've had him cut my 86mm crank and magniflux my H beam rods but I'm thinking the setup costs to do the work (if he can) would be beyond shipping fees. I'll drive 2 hours to PA if I can get it done there.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Valley VW machine my case. At the time they were the only shop doing bronze lifter bore bushings. (back in 2001).
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I had Valley VW machine my case. At the time they were the only shop doing bronze lifter bore bushings. (back in 2001).

I actually contacted them last week and it's now the V-Dub Store located at 809 Saint Johns Road in Saint Johns PA if anybody wanted to map it. Also V-dubstore.com or phone is 570-371-6667. Super nice and told me what I needed to do before I bring out my case and heads. If their work is as good as their PR skills then I'll be real happy. Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: