Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Sizing Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
ManFromNapa wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has posted in here. I'm trying not to duplicate information/conversation/agruements that are in other posts... but it's hard. There are lots of them!

Let me shift the conversation slightly if I can. (It's my post Razz )

Help me understand how to get the best fuel efficiency our of a big bore / big stroke combo. I've know a lot of guys with big engines, and they have spent a lot of $$ trying to achieve good MPG with no luck. I keep hearing promises of 20+ mpg, but don't know anyone who has achieved it. Regardless if I decide to buy the parts and build the engine myself, or if I choose to have someone else build it I need to make sure I'm making good choices. Any builder or parts dealer is going to have their opinion and try to effect my buying decision. I want to be prepared.

So let's assume that I've decided to go BIG, and let's pretend that money is no issue! 94mm bore and 82mm stroke to put into my 71 Bus. I've now got a 2275. What now? (Comments or links to threads that have the info I'm looking for is appreciated.)

To help with cooling I plan to full flow the case and install an external oil filter. Are there any other "extras" that I can install for extra cooling?

I also plan on using a SVDA, and biggest alternator I can find. (Not that the Alternator will help MPG, but this is a camper, I have a 2nd battery, and a lot of other "extras" do more amps is desirable.)

Heads? Ported? How Big?

Cam size?

Carbs? Size? Jets?

Exhaust? I plan on using heater boxes.

What else am I missing?

I don't know may-be "jpaull" is right! (Big can work too) I ran across his video of the bug that won't stay on the track sometime back! I wonder what that car is like to drive. I guess his engine though is not that much different in size from our Subaru OutBack 2.5 liter which gets 24-32mpg. it only weighs in at 3200 lbs though I think! The Bus weighs in at about 5000 lbs.
The milage engine builds threads on Air Cooled Net and CB Performance are for Bug engines. I Don't Know perhaps a nice 74mmX88mm with single port heads or something could get 24 mpg's. It would be nice to do in a early bus though.

Danwvw,
Thanks for the kind words, my pile from that video is crazy fun to drive, and even with close ratio gears I avg 22 mpg in my 40 mile commute to and from work. So even a 2180 with 48's can do 22+ when dialed in nicely.
The original poster manfromnapa I know can do it too Very Happy

Jeff

D
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic of engine displacement seems to be a frequent and debatable one here on the samba. Yet, as things become increasingly argumentative, i think it best that we stick to the most rudimentary of things. I would be willing to bet that the majority of folks who put up an argument don't even know how to calculate the volume of a cylinder(this is the internet, so of course you'll go look it up on wikipedia, etc and reply with some sort of snarky retort). Numbers don't lie people. In regards to the gas mileage issue; your bus' tranny was engineered to provide the necessary moving force with a 1600cc power plant. If gas mileage is your primary concern, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: