Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AZ NEWB....partial 66 restore
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
For $250. I nominate you for Ghia score of the year!!
Looks pretty nice😎

I read $2500, which is 10x the amount you read.
(But then I haven't been spending my morning under a Ghia replacing the starter motor. Wink )
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn old eyes. Anyhow 2500 is still a pretty fair deal😃

Oh yeah. I found a cheepo starter $40. Hopefully it will get me home.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it was 2498.67....i found 1.33 in the seat tracks haha....overall its in what i would consider fair shape (few rusts spots) pan is solid, nose is good, interior not bad (serviceable) and only a few spots im concerned about with rust but wont know more till i do paint. i have a friend that run a college class on body work and paint so im on the list to donate my car to that (cheap labor). until it goes there im just going to get it running and drive it as is. hopefully doing a motor swap tomorrow, i planned today but it was kinda fix basic stuff because once its running im not going to be doing too much to it haha...thanks for everything and there are a few things im not sure about so ill post pics and questions later.
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: gas pedal help....stuck as a mother f*cker Reply with quote

so ive been working on cleaning up somethings on the ghia all day and decided to try the pedals. clutch good, brake went straight tot he floor, gas pedal WOULD NOT MOVE. i put all my weight on it and it just bent and so i looked into it some more and the cable still moves but the pedal does not budge. can someone help me please. i have posted a few pictures to show what it looks like. thanks again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Pedal assembly is all corroded together.. the cable will move, but where it connects looks to be rusted/corroded together
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some CLR first, it is inexpensive and will start to free up rust a bit. Brush it in with a paintbrush let it sit overnight. Use it full strength don't dilute it. If that doesn't get it going move up to rust buster
http://www.laco.com/rust-penetrants/rust-buster-/
Personally, I swear by this stuff it is great. Good luck.

1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (current restoration)
1965 Porsche 356 SC coupe
1967 Volkswagen Convertible Beetle
1969 Porsche 911E Targa 3.2 twin plug
2006 Porsche 987 Rüf 3400K Prototype #2 of 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clr hint, we figured it was corroded together but was hoping it wasnt ha. we did a decent amount of work today (pictures tom). we arent doing a body off right now, but did drop the old motor tonight (pain in the ass without proper equipment) tom will be a bigger day. hopefully itll be new cv boots, shocks, fuel lines, brakes and brake lines and might possibly get swaped motor in. sorry no pics tonight but long day and just dead.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
itll be new cv boots, shocks, fuel lines, brakes and brake lines

Good plan. You may as well pull the pedal assembly, dissassemble, clean,lube and put it back together. You'll get another 40 years out of it. Smile
When you are swapping motors...make sure the trans and pressure plate are matched. Also its the right time to check/change the trans mounts.
Keep the pics going Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been told the plate will match up but how will i know for sure?
also im curious what shocks are most people using, i want to stay close to stock but still be a nice ride. the ones that are on now are mid grade (price wise) but ive seen others that are "OE recommended" that are longer than the others that fit. thanks guys.

im horrible about taking pics but will try to get some of todays mess ha
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i didnt get as much done as i was hoping to today, the only auto shop open today only had less than half of what i needed, so tom i will get the rest.
i did get done, new brakes shoes, new brake cylinders and new brake lines on the front. spent about an hour on each rear wheel getting that damn king nut off, but once it was off just replaced the cylinders (didnt have the shoes). got the designated donor (sand rail) prepped so we can drop the motor in the next few days. ordered a few things but will also go out tom to see what all i can get to get this thing on the road asap.

still trying to figure out how to get off the damn pedal assembly i think i have all the bolts out, try again tom.

todays view

out with the old

in with the new

FML damn pedal

borrowed the wrong size, back to the friends house
all important work supplies
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He loaned you the 46mm big nut bus whacker, There are only 2 sizes, had a 50% chance to get it right. Sad

One tool that makes life easy with the rear castle nuts and gland nuts is a Torque Meister. Use it, you will buy one.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Flywheel-and-Brake-Drum-Torque-Tool-Kit-36mm-p/torque-tool.htm.
2 bolts hold the pedal assembly on, its probably rusted in place BFH time Razz

Shocks... Basically 2,3 types w/o going to super high end. oil shocks were orig and have a nice ride, Boge is one brand still available. KYB makes a lite gas shock that is a little more performance oriented, a little stiffer than oil, they are grey or silver in color. KYB also has a white, stiffer gas shock that used to be very popular before they released the lite one. All should be around $100 for 4. Decision will also hinge on ride height and how its achieved. There are short front shocks for lowered cars...

Trans/clutch/pressure plate/collar/nocollar/early/late.... matching...Read this and you wont make any mistakes.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5298554
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another day wrenching away. went down and picked up the parts that i didnt get yesterday, master cylinder, shocks, cv boots. finally got out the damn pedal assembly out and its soaking in clr right now. front shocks on and the rear shoes will be here tom and and the rear should be back together, then do the cv boots and gear oil. main goal is to be putting the motor back in this weekend and then gets it squared away. once that is done ill be done for awhile to save money and make an actual plan ha. thanks guys ill keep you posted.
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last few days have been slow and steady work. nothing big done but just small things that needed to get done, with work and the fact that everything is rusted shut its definitely a bit slower than hoped. tomorrow i am dropping the other motor and and getting it ready to put in the ghia. i do have a few questions on some stuff:

has anyone used www.jbugs.com or recommend a good site for stuff, also going to be looking for interior eventually.

my rear seat doesnt have the latch to stay up but has the clip on the shelf, which latch/clip do i need to get?

im not sure what these are but im thinking they are for shoulder seatbelts but i dont think they had that option in 1966, can anyone help me?

thanks
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've still been working on getting it going but have hit a few snags, new master cylinder bolted in and new reservoir in but went to connect the two and what do you know the hose size is not the same. I now have to find brake hose that'll fit over the master cylinder barb connection and then a reducer for the hoses to fit together. Got the stock exhaust mounted to the new motor but a few parts didn't match up and have to order a few things. Other than that everything is trucking along, I'm confident I'll have it running and driving very soon. I even signed up for a VW show on Aug 16, so that's the goal now. Sadly today I stepped into the passenger side while trying to install the master cylinder and pedal assembly and found out that its rusted through behind the seat (needs new pan). Unless anymore major events I should have it running by the weeks end.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (current restoration)
1965 Porsche 356 SC coupe
1967 Volkswagen Convertible Beetle
1969 Porsche 911E Targa 3.2 twin plug
2006 Porsche 987 Rüf 3400K Prototype #2 of 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

havadub wrote:

im not sure what these are but im thinking they are for shoulder seatbelts but i dont think they had that option in 1966, can anyone help me?

thanks

Yes that's the shoulder mount for the three point belts. Should be another in the pan below it, plus one either side of the tunnel.
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: its alive!!!!! Reply with quote

so today was a good day, for the most part. got the motor in and figured out the wiring mess and got it running. due to the motor swap i kept the same carb that was on the running one on, and well the throttle cable now doesnt reach, also the bypass from the heater that runs next the intake manifold isnt there. so i can either put the old carb on the motor (needs rebuilt) and all will be good or stay the way it is and figure out the rest.

the sad part of today was when installing the motor it slid off the jack and the one exhaust out broke off, hope i can fix it. let me know if anyone has had this problem before and how they solved it. thanks

besides wiring not working 100%, i hope to be on the road this weekend
havadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: FINALLY ON THE ROAD Reply with quote

well today was a good day. i finally got the ghia on the road, before we had a big rain storm. drove around the block a few times and then it started to rain so i had to park seeing no wipers on it. i still need to fine tune a few things with the motor but with a goal of having it on the road on aug 1 im only 2 days off. i had it running by the 1st but wasnt quite road ready. today i adjusted the clutch pedal and brakes a bit. i still need to adjust the throttle and idle but thats minor stuff, now that its on the road. i have a basic VW car show on the 16th so if all goes well ill be there. also im looking into 2-3 more shows before the year is over. most people understand most are projects so thats mine for the next few years ha. pictures this week. thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: