Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Super Beetle (autostick) wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinCredibleVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: 71 Super Beetle (autostick) wiring Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Just bought a new project, a 71 super beetle automatic.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures of the wiring at the regulator, the rear defrost relay and the engine bay wiring. I was able to start the engine but the starter kept turning over while the engine was running. I'm thinking that the starter wire is connected to auxiliary power as it would crank while the key was in auxiliary mode.

What color wire is the starter wire? Red/black? If so that wire is currently connected to the rear defrost relay. Which may explain my problem. The wiring diagrams I've found so far have not been that helpful.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage regulator:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does your rear defrost relay look like this, with letters designating the terminals?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or does it have numbers (30, 85, 86, 87)?

None of this should have anything to do with your starter activating with the key in the accessory position. I would assume that's a problem at the ignition switch. I will tell you that if it's wired correctly, the starter wire from the ignition switch first goes to a "neutral safety switch" on the transmission before going to the starter. This switch is mounted on the transmission housing and only allows current through to the starter when it senses the gear shifter is in neutral (it is connected to the contact plates under the shifter via another wire.) This is so you don't accidentally start it in gear and ram something. Try putting your autostick in gear WITH YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE and see if you can start the car. If so, someone has screwed with the wiring.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter wire under the rear seat should be solid red. It passes through a plastic connector under the rear seat (driver's side) and then goes through a hole in the floor pan-- but then it should go to that neutral safety switch I mentioned earlier before going to the starter.

The only red/ black wire you should have under the rear seat is the D+ generator wire going from the D+ terminal on the voltage regulator back into the engine bay to the D+ terminal on the generator.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
JustinCredibleVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the car is at my in-laws right now 3 hours away so I can't confirm anything just yet. I'll be sure to take some pictures and get back to you my next visit. Thanks again this will be very helpful for my next attempt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: