Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil bath vs Aftermarket air filter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Oil bath vs Aftermarket air filter Reply with quote

My 68 has an aftermarket air filter, I have been reading posts about the Oil bath filter and the air flaps, etc.

What are the consequences of using an aftermarket air filter?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?cx=partner-p...5750676j23

Welcome to TheSamba!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW would have installed those cheap but "cool-looking" air cleaners if they could have. But the air cleaners they used were far superior--not only for cleaning the air, but for carb downdraft, pre-heating, etc.

Read up and see why, either an oil-bath or the later plastic air cleaners are best for your engine.

Tim
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the engine a stock unit? If yes then do obtain the correct 68 one year only air cleaner. Even though you are in the Phoenix Valley of the Sun hot desert, do get the thermostat and flaps. Your engine will like it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
srolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe it is stock. I bought it from a nephew. It has been sitting in my brothers house for the last 6 years. I am waiting for cooler weather to arrive before I start work on it. My brother said when he tested the compression when his son first got it the compression was 140 psi all around and it was drivable.

I do not know the current condition of the motor.

The body is in fair shape but the fenders, bumpers and hood were in poor shape, I was able to get a complete set other than the bumpers that are in very good shape on Craigslist.

I have started to inventory everything else I may need.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock or not I would get an oil bath,especially in AZ. Lots of dust.

I remember how happy I was when Mt St Helens blew having an oil bath filter on my 65

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil bath vs Aftermarket air filter Reply with quote

srolfe wrote:
My 68 has an aftermarket air filter, I have been reading posts about the Oil bath filter and the air flaps, etc.

What are the consequences of using an aftermarket air filter?

The stock oil bath air cleaners have several advantages.

1. They clean the air very well, better than most paper filters.

2. They all have a 3 inch ram tube built in above the carb throat to catch the stand off fuel/air fog which occurs above all open-throat carbs at speed. Without it, you get uneven mixtures through the carb.

3. They have the correct crankcase breather attachment so you don't get an oily engine bay. The VW crankcase is positive ventilation so there is always some oily air coming up the breather and it needs somewhere to go.

4. They have the flap fitting for warm-air intake for better winter driving.

5. They are easy and cheap to clean. The small circular cleaners (best for 1200s only) use 250 cc of any engine oil. The larger oval cleaners use 400cc of engine oil.

The correct one for a 68 engine has two smallish intake nozzles, one on each side, later versions have only one intake on the right side. All the oval cleaners will fit on any of the 30, 31, or 34 series carbs and work just fine.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD use stock. drag and off road, k&n shit filters.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: