Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock towers done for?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Shock towers done for? Reply with quote

Finally getting around to starting the tear down on my 66 bug. After getting the front fenders off yesterday (only had to grind off 3 bolts) I notice that the two pieces of the driver-side shock tower are separated, all the way down the front edge (see photo). Is this something that can be welded back up ...or can that entire piece be replaced ...or am I looking at having to replace the entire front beam??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would recommend replacing it. It may be too rusty to weld back up. if you are interested, i have 2 king pin beams for sale, best offer. Just a thought.
anubiscrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad his is a ball joint

62 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anubiscrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast the whole beam and try to weld. If it fails replace the beam. You can find them all around

62 beetle
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to repair what you have properly you will need to remove and disassemble the beam completely.

Then it needs to be clean before you can weld it, so in this case that is probably done best by sand blasting.

Following clean up, you need to see if all the parts are still in good shape and able to go back in place where they belong. If so then it can be welded up, repainted, re-assembled and re-installed.

If not, you need to find another beam. CIP1 stocks a replacement:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-113-401-021-F

If there are any shows coming up in your area you may be able to find a used one - complete for less money. Just make sure if you are buying used that it is in good shape too!

Then you may be able to find just a used naked beam in the classifieds here and have it shipped.

Or you can always scour your local junk yards, but most bugs went to the masher years ago, so the chance of finding something usable is usually pretty slim.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully ; I disagree with trying to clean up that beam .
If it is that rusty on the outside you will never be able to get a sandblaster inside . There are a lot of parts that you can drive around with and fix later. If this broke someone could get hurt .
Please replace the beam
. I've seen people give them away at the end of a swap meet so they didn't have to lug it home

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: