Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
cef911f1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Recently, I decided that I wanted to add a right side rearview mirror. In order to do this I had to remove the existing door hinge pin to replace it with one with the threaded mirror mount. Of course to do that, I first had to get the old hinge pin out. I also had to e careful not to damage the paint on the door!

There was a member selling a tool on The Samba but it was rather pricey for what I hoped to be a onetime use. Being an Engineer, I decided to make my own inexpensive tool for the job.

Tools - required

Vise
Drill with right angle attachment and drill bit set (up to 5/16” dia.)
Vise
Hack saw
Flat file
Epoxy

Tools – optional

Drill press
Grinder
Extra-long drill bit set

Material

Harbor Freight 8” C-Clamp
Short piece of ½” EMT Conduit (2” long)
5/16”Dia. x 1-3/4” Dowel Pin (or a sacrificial 5/16” dill bit)

Unfortunately, I didn’t take step by step photos of how I built this but I think there are enough pictures that you shouldn’t have any trouble replicating what I did.

I started with an 8” Harbor Freight C Clamp (Item#39610, $6.99 on sale). I clamped the C-Clamp in my vise and unscrewed it until the swivel pad popped off the ball. I then unscrewed it the rest of the way out.

In my case I was able to clamp up the C-Clamp in a floor standing drill press and using an extra-long drill bit, drill a 5/16” dia. hole in the clamp face in line with the threaded hole. It’s best to start small and work up to the 5/16” diameter. (I’m sure 1/4” dia. would be sufficient but I chose 5/16: (.3125) as it is just under the 8 mm pin dia. (.318)) I drilled the hole approximately 3/8” deep. I happened to have a set of extra-long drill bits. However, this could also be accomplished using a hand drill with a right angle attachment with the C-Clamp held in a vise.

I then inserted the 5/16 dowel pin in the hole. Since the drilled hole was a little oversize, I used epoxy to hold the pin in place. If you can’t find a dowel pin, you can cut off an old drill bit and use it.

After the epoxy set up, I cut away the outer portion of the C-Clamp’s pad. See picture. Using my bench grinder, I then shaped the end leaving about a 1/16” of material around the outer side of the dowel pin.

Next, I screwed the threaded rod back into the C-Clamp with a 2”long piece of 1/2” EMT conduit over the dowel pin. I screwed the threaded rod in until it forced its way into the conduit. (You might want to peen the end of the conduit a bit to close it in so that when the ball pops in, the conduit will stay on the ball.)

This tool worked great for removing the upper hinge pin and I think would work for the lower if the running board was removed.

Link to Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/pAD4q

Last edited by cef911f1 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much pressure is actually involved in pressing one of these pins out? The reason I ask is because I've broken one of these large C clamps just clamping a couple of 2 X 4's together ...the clamps are made of relatively low-strength cast iron, so I'm surprised that the epoxied area didn't just break off once the pressure was applied to it .... Or, am I missing something here???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever ; thanks for sharing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little DIY tool you have there. You wanna sell it?
cef911f1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. It would probably cost more to ship than it did to make.

Besides, I have a whole collection of shop made tools that I've built over the years. This is the only one for a VW (so far) but I have several for Porsches, Mini's, MBs, Triumphs and a few of my friends' cars.

Building a body rotisserie now. Doing a frame off on a TR6.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cef911f1,

Great tool thanks for posting it, I actually need one now. I'm going to make one but have a question, was it difficult to turn the c-clamp by hand to remove the door pin? If so, maybe I can weld a nut to the end and use a ratchet but don't know if that material is weldable. If it wasn't difficult to turn I say forget the welding.
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried making a similar tool based off some other threads I found, but once I really torqued it down, the c-clamp began to flex and I worried it was going to break. You can buy super heavy duty clamps, but I decided to a different route. I posted a video a couple weeks ago of a guy using his bench vise to push the pin out, and once I got everything aligned, it worked like a charm. It takes a of force to push those pins out and the vise method gives you more leverage and clamping force.

Here is the thread to how I removed my pins - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601346&highlight=
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey blade, I think I remember seeing the video you're talking about actually been couple lately. I was hoping to do it without having to remove the doors. I have to do both doors because drivers side mirror was jb welded to a stripped pin so I'm going to do that side right and add a mirror to the other door. At least now I have plan A and B haha maybe C if I have to rent the tool and pay shipping but rather throw that money in the gas tank and go cruising.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar tool for removing the pins on my '67 door. But couldn't get the c-clamp to budge it. Then I put the entire door in the vise...and broke the vise when using a cheater bar to turn it. Then took the door to a machine shop that got them out and drilled for new pins with threads for rear view mirrors.

crvc
cef911f1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smkn_vw wrote:
cef911f1,

Great tool thanks for posting it, I actually need one now. I'm going to make one but have a question, was it difficult to turn the c-clamp by hand to remove the door pin? If so, maybe I can weld a nut to the end and use a ratchet but don't know if that material is weldable. If it wasn't difficult to turn I say forget the welding.

I had nowhere near the difficulties that the other commenters did. I didn't have any problem turning the clamp. As for welding a nut on that end of the threaded rod that should be possible. Before I went to that much trouble, I'd just put a cheater piece of pipe of the rod.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the fact you cant develop the force to remove most door pins its fine.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Clever ; thanks for sharing

How does that work on the bottom hinge. I can see the top hinge working but the turn handle will hit the door and you turn it and grind against the door surface if it lines up at all.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670917&highlight=

just make one that works
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Nice idea, all went well until I added a couple hard turns, then I heard a pop and low and behold, that harbor frieght clamp broke right in the middle. Found a vintage, forged clamp on eBay and I will try it when it gets here. I think the concept will work with the right clamp. In the mean time I will keep soaking it with pb blaster.
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I've always used my air hammer. It has rattled out any pins I've had to remove. Cut a hole in the finger of a glove to cover the air hammer & punch & it won't damage paint.... You can do it right on the car!!!!!

Roger
Old duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Well, after messing around with the clamps etc., I hooked up the air hammer and in a matter of minutes the pin was out!! One short burst and the pin was up a half an inch and loose.... A couple firm taps with a hammer and punch and out it came after 50 years in the hinge. Easy peasy.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this pin removal tool?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283188353230

Pros/Cons?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Has anyone tried this pin removal tool?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283188353230

Pros/Cons?

Curious myself. I have an Eastwood and had the bolt head machined down to a smaller size and it works, but that one looks nice.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I think I’ll buy one of these and see how it does.

Looks like the door might have to come off first to be able to access the bottom hinge pin though???
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I think I’ll buy one of these and see how it does.

Looks like the door might have to come off first to be able to access the bottom hinge pin though???

The tool arrived today, and As I thought, either the running board or the door needs to come off first for the required clearance to fit the tool on the bottom hinges. Although it just barely fits on the top hinges with the doors still on the car, there is extremely little clearance between the door and the tool which will definitely result in damaged paint as the tools press bolt is turned.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: