Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about wheel to fender lip clearance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
I used a tow chain double wrapped around a floor jack & the upper bumpstop to lower/raise. It a took a week or more & I should have bought some kind of threaded spring compression tool.
well that doesn't sound fun.

air shocks look real good right about now Shocked

Yeah, but you have to remember Mike is old. Shocked We did my son's car with a floor jack, and some hand tools in a couple of hours (both sides). It's not that bad of a job to do (1 spline), but getting the right combo of, inner and outer splines is the hard part (what I like to call a combo move).

You could try loosening the 2 bolts above the rear shocks (forward square holes in the load floor), and the 2 bolts under the rear subframe to floor pan, and see if you can bounce/push the body over a little, to splitthe difference in the gap between the fender and the tire.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was first time & method but Bobnotch just Looks old! Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never discount the perversion of a PO.
(Rule #72)

Just because the right way to set torsions is with a bubble protractor,
Doesn't mean he did it that way.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Never discount the perversion of a PO.
(Rule #72)

Just because the right way to set torsions is with a bubble protractor,
Doesn't mean he did it that way.

On our cars, I use a magnetic angle finder. What I try to do is get both sides to match each other. If I find 1 side is still lower after that, then I've got a reference measurement to go from there with. Then it's just a combo move to get what I want for a setting, as the torsion bars WILL sag over the years. This is why it's covered in Bentley, as age does have an effect on the bars themselves.

Also, the rubber bushings that support the end of the spring plate can be worn, and that will effect height differences too. Wink

But yes, you can't discount what the PO did either, as he may, or may not have known what he was doing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this thing has some wiring issue.

Passenger headlight doesn't work, blinker is very dim. I can use a power probe at the light terminals and headlight is fine, will feed back power to left side headlight, so wiring must be good.

Fuel gauge has no illumination or anything. Speedo illuminates. So I need to pull the fuel gauge and see if it was converted already.

No running lights on rear. blinkers work fine. All bulbs illuminate with power probe. There's 3 bulbs, what are their purpose???? Question

Found a loose tach wire, but the doesn't work. Its a new VDO tach, so I have to either use another tach to test the wires or make sure the dip switches are correct.

The wiring is all cut and spliced im guessing for the 12V conversion , but with anything, I don't know who did it and if it was done right.

its always fun going over somebody elses work. Rolling Eyes
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds mostly like ground issues. Make sure your terminals are all clean as well. Converting to 12v doesnt require any wiring changes, people just like to go crazy with splicing and dicing. I'm no electrical genious, but the last couple cars I've bought I just sat down for a couple hours with a wiring diagram, cleaning terminals, making sure bulbs are good and making good contact with the spring loaded contacts, getting rid of previous owner hacks, etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the previous. You are checking with a grounded tester, you should check the ground at the light as well. I will test the circuit , then check the ground (put power on the clip & stab the light housing. Best of luck
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the headlight plugs are spliced, the taillight connectors are spliced, the harness form the column has butt connectors and loose wires.

I assume the car was driven before I got it. But being that it was disassembled and painted before I got it leads me to ground issues.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel gauge housing should be grounded in order for the fuel gauge and light to work. For the headlight issue, check the ground on the divider that separates the spare tire and the gas tank. There should be one on each side that grounds the headlight wiring. It is screwed into the compartment divider. As for the tail light running lights, that could be a whole bunch of things...if anything, i'd assume bad ground or bad connection at the light switch. I'm actually going through all of this at the moment. Finishing up all the wiring in my car right now so I can drive it up my driveway to have it towed to the painters.

Good luck!
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
The fuel gauge housing should be grounded in order for the fuel gauge and light to work. For the headlight issue, check the ground on the divider that separates the spare tire and the gas tank. There should be one on each side that grounds the headlight wiring. It is screwed into the compartment divider. As for the tail light running lights, that could be a whole bunch of things...if anything, i'd assume bad ground or bad connection at the light switch. I'm actually going through all of this at the moment. Finishing up all the wiring in my car right now so I can drive it up my driveway to have it towed to the painters.

Good luck!
thanks,

looking at the wiring diagram over and over, I am really tempted to rewire the car Shocked
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
being that it was disassembled and painted before I got it leads me to ground issues.

This. Always this. Painters remove stuff, overspray everywhere, and slap it back together. I have spent a significant amount of time scraping paint off contact points, wires, connectors, you name it
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the butt connectors etc, etc, stuff you're talking about I'd be seriously thinking about a good kit to rewire it --- simple insurance, because wiring gremlins are a bitch to chase as you're figuring out --

also that way you become one with your car LMAO
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Sounds mostly like ground issues. Make sure your terminals are all clean as well. Converting to 12v doesnt require any wiring changes, people just like to go crazy with splicing and dicing. I'm no electrical genious, but the last couple cars I've bought I just sat down for a couple hours with a wiring diagram, cleaning terminals, making sure bulbs are good and making good contact with the spring loaded contacts, getting rid of previous owner hacks, etc etc.

That's what it sounded like to me too (ground issues). This is also where I like to have a VOM, 2 jumper wires (1 about 20 ft long) with aligator clips on each end. That allows me to reach almost anywhere on the car, and test for power, a or good ground. Wink

But, since the car was just painted, I'd bet most of your problems are related to that.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found the back of the fuel gauge loose and missing bulbs, hanging next to the fuse panel which is missing about 5 fuses and has over spray. That would explain why in not getting any lights. Its been miserably humid to be in the garage, but hopefully I can DRIVE it out of the garage tonight and start tracing some wires.

How does the fuel gauge come out? I removed the dash pad and my Bentley manual is on its way still.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Its been miserably humid to be in the garage

Paaaalllleeeesse, try Houston Laughing

Clock first if I'm not mistaken. Then you can get to the back of the speedo, and then fuel gauge. Maybe thats backwards, It's been a while

oh, and ANYTHING electrical, check the fuses first. Like take them out, look at them, make sure the contact points are good, etc.

I just fixed the broken A/C in a truck I bought by actually pulling the fuse. It was a little melted and didnt pop. Fuses today are shit
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

Clock first if I'm not mistaken. Then you can get to the back of the speedo, and then fuel gauge. Maybe thats backwards, It's been a while

oh, and ANYTHING electrical, check the fuses first. Like take them out, look at them, make sure the contact points are good, etc.

I just fixed the broken A/C in a truck I bought by actually pulling the fuse. It was a little melted and didnt pop. Fuses today are shit
hey that one day was REALLY BAD Crying or Very sad

Is there any type of retainter that holds the fuel gauge in the dash or is it the wiring? it moves in and out about a inch but something holds it in. Gremlin maybe?
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Erik G wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

Is there any type of retainter that holds the fuel gauge in the dash or is it the wiring? it moves in and out about a inch but something holds it in. Gremlin maybe?

There are two tabs on the gauge, one on either side. Squeeze them as you push the gauge out of the dash.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
Erik G wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

There are two tabs on the gauge, one on either side. Squeeze them as you push the gauge out of the dash.
Got it, I felt those, probably wasn't squeezing hard enough Shocked
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it moves! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car -- -- Come over to Adams Track (AMP) in Riverside tomorrow night for time attack and you can see how little tire clearance is really needed -- I'll have the Ghia out there trying to learn how to turn corners again ..... probably from 6 to 8pm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: