Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For you Show Car People.....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
trevize1138 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
...the only one as far as I know.

Not for long I hope Cool
Nicholas

Indeed. Wink

From what I've often been told, most people put those "Porsh" motors in them.
Oh dear...for goodness sake get the spelling right...it's Porch!

Y'all are idiots. I'd slap one a dem big Chevy V8s in the front of that sum'bitch.

Yeaaaaahh. Dem go reel good in wunna dem Nazi gurl cars named Carmen or summ'in...!

[Next thread: "Post A Pic of Your Confederate Flagged Karmann Ghia!"]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i go to a VW car show...
I park, open the door, pop the front, pop the back and open it all up. Then i leave...head over to the swap meet. For me, I dont like to sit around at a car show or sit around much at all. I make several trips back to the car during the day for chit chat.... people are curious about the wiring system and ask questions about motor and pulley linkage etc.
At all make shows most guys dont have as much vw knowledge but i still open it up. Laughing I spent a lot of time and effort making the inside, underside, inside engine bay and trunk as nice as the outside. Guess i feel the need to show it off a bit. Embarassed Ive found, suprisingly, most people know what a Karmann Ghia is and have vw stories from their past, which is one reason vintage cars are so fun.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to the stage where I now prefer all makes car shows rather than VW shows here in the UK..I'm going to one on Sunday.

In the UK Type 2 Buses now dominate the scene and more often than not you have to bend down to look inside them..if you get my meaning. We used to take our stock '63 Brazilian 15 window Kombi to a big VW show and at one large show in 2005 not one single person asked me anything about it. At the time it was a real rarity but I'm damned if anyone saw anything unusual about it, apart from the fact you couldn't look over the roof.

Showing your Karmann Ghia at a VW show the only people who talk to you and ask questions are other KG owners which is OK but it's hardly spreading the word...I'm a KG "Evangelist"

Even waving at other aircooled VWs as you see them on the street in a KG has become redundant...most Beetle and Bus owners in the UK don't realise you're driving a VW. Confused

I've had more interesting conversations about my KG at all makes shows...gives you a chance to spread the word too.

However I do still go to the Vintage VW Shows at Hessisch Oldendorf and Bad Camberg, they still cater for the Evangelist. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I've got to the stage where I now prefer all makes car shows rather than VW shows here in the UK..I'm going to one on Sunday.

In the UK Type 2 Buses now dominate the scene and more often than not you have to bend down to look inside them..if you get my meaning. We used to take our stock '63 Brazilian 15 window Kombi to a big VW show and at one large show in 2005 not one single person asked me anything about it. At the time it was a real rarity but I'm damned if anyone saw anything unusual about it, apart from the fact you couldn't look over the roof.

Showing your Karmann Ghia at a VW show the only people who talk to you and ask questions are other KG owners which is OK but it's hardly spreading the word...I'm a KG "Evangelist"

Even waving at other aircooled VWs as you see them on the street in a KG has become redundant...most Beetle and Bus owners in the UK don't realise you're driving a VW. Confused

I've had more interesting conversations about my KG at all makes shows...gives you a chance to spread the word too.

However I do still go to the Vintage VW Shows at Hessisch Oldendorf and Bad Camberg, they still cater for the Evangelist. Wink

Well said, John.

Here in the States, the VW show scene is much the same, and has been for a long time, catering mostly to custom cars (which, over the last fifteen years, have tended to shift towards a prevalent aesthetic of rat rod or patina idiom cars with very low suspension, or just slam what you've got and bolt Fuchs rims on it). The shows are usually judged by the car entrants (AKA People's Choice judging), so naturally, votes gather on the majority aesthetic. I entered a very original, low-mileage lowlight in a few shows in California, where it was soundly trounced in judging by some rather scary cars. It was a popularity contest. I also tried to enter it in the one rough equivalent show we have here in the States, in Solvang, California, but they have/had an arbitrary cut-off of 1957 or earlier cars (presumably to discourage post-Oval window Beetles and Hannover-built Transporters). My September 1957 KG was summarily rejected for entry.

We were able to host the first international Karmann-Ghia only Concours here in the States, though, a few years ago, with proper Concours d'Elegance judging standards. Lee Hedges, Antonio Pellegrino (of the KG Club of Italy) and I had the honor of judging it, so there's hope - if there's a demand.

I'm also glad I had the opportunity to attend Bad Camberg in 2003. Every Volkswagen enthusiast should attend that show; the history embodied in the objects parked on the lawn is immense!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
Here in the States, the VW show scene is much the same, and has been for a long time, catering mostly to custom cars ... The shows are usually judged by the car entrants...

I haven't been to a lot of shows around the country but the VW shows I go to locally get a nice mix of custom and stock VW's. Ghia's are not exactly over-represented, but we have some very nice examples coming to our two shows at Englishtown, our club show at Flanders, and our sponsor's show n' shine. One in particular is an original-owner all-original Ghia that I always like to see. Our club judges the cars and we favor non-club members in the event of ties. We always like to see a nice Ghia show up!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a popularity contest.

agree, especially when a group or club go to a show together and participant judging.
I attended 2013 Classic that from what i heard...was judged by some of the big $ VW builder$. They mostly picked other cars done by (suprise) the big builder$. There were 6 figure cars built with checks competing with $10K-30K cars built with blood, sweat and tears in a guys garage. Which is better?
I really dont know the right or fair way to judge a show. Very difficult to compare an original lowlight and another high quality "restomod" lowlight or later model in the same class, they're not. Even if there were 3 or 4 diff catagories for each, Ghia/Bug/Bus/type 3...there will still be grumbles. A concourse event sticks their nose up at everything other than original, a ratshow snubs stock/vintage, and the Vintage show shuns anything post 57. ...Seems we all love our vintage cars, we just like them a little different. Smile Show-n-shine shows avoid the backlash from the get-go.
Idea One thing that participant judged shows could do is post vote counts. Even if you dont win...you know 35 out of the 125 participants voted for you, you were 5th place out of 30 cars in your class Very Happy Still cool.
Is there a win/win for everyone? If you gotta "place" to have a good time, you gonna have a lot of pissed off days Boo hoo!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
If you gotta "place" to have a good time, you gonna have a lot of pissed off days Boo hoo!

I'm looking forward to my upcoming show just to talk to people and answer the usual "What kind of car is that?" question. Hadn't even thought about the idea that I could win something until recently. Sounds like there are so many categories and sub categories out there it could be pretty infuriating to attempt to win something especially as winning seems to come down to the whim of the judges.

That's why most competitions I enter into involve races where I'm running or biking. How many people were ahead of me when I crossed the finish line? Add 1 to that and that's my place. I could certainly spend a ton of money on a fancy bike or nice shoes but that's all pretty worthless if the "engine" you're racing with isn't tuned up Wink.
http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
Maybe one of those scrolling digital picture frames with pictures of before - restoration - and detail shots of engine trunk and interior finished.

What a great idea! Each year I try to incorporate something new
This will give me something to work on over the winter for next year.

My Ghia was invited to a local show benefitting the Buckeye Ranch. It's a charity event to draw crowds and spread the word about the Ranch. Displayed cars only. No judging plus a chance to slum in the Italian "cortile".
Love those exotics Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: