Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been holding off getting heads for my VW Bus engine because I want to be more comfortable that I am getting the right ones. It's a 74mm stroke by 88mm bore Type 1 with Dual Carb's, Dellorto 36's, Web-Cam 163, currently running Port matched stock German VW heads. The Mofoco Super Street 040's have been recommended. I am wondering what the intake port volume is and if the 041 heads are the same head as the 040 but with the larger intake valve and what if any porting is done with super street heads?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that louvered deck lids cool better because of more air flow. The same could be said about the other side of the fan where the air flow must get past and threw the heads and cylinders.

If the heads are all plugged up with core shift and plugged air passages you will have less air flow and it will run hotter not cooler under adverse conditions like a bus going up a long hill. I don't care how many fins the heads has if the air flow is poor it's going to run hot. Look at the way a Porsche 911 head is designed, air flow to the max. The two valves are on top of each other (vertical) and not side by side like T1, 356 and T4. Tons of room for fins and passages for air flow. The Furman four cam carrera race engine also has the valves top and bottom. This engine also had two fans back to back with air inlets on the front and back side of the shroud. The cooling capacity of that engine was huge. You can learn a lot looking at Porsche engines. A air cooled VW would never survive on the Le Mans track at speed.

You can create a test that measures gas mileage on a caddy going down hill to make things look good but honest testing is another matter.

Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you will pay all cost,I will sacrifice my vw for a few passes at Le Mans track at speed,I realy dont think it will hurt squat but your wallet.and Im due for a vacation.you can come too!!
67_looker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
We all know that louvered deck lids cool better because of more air flow. The same could be said about the other side of the fan where the air flow must get past and threw the heads and cylinders.

If the heads are all plugged up with core shift and plugged air passages you will have less air flow and it will run hotter not cooler under adverse conditions like a bus going up a long hill. I don't care how many fins the heads has if the air flow is poor it's going to run hot. Look at the way a Porsche 911 head is designed, air flow to the max. The two valves are on top of each other (vertical) and not side by side like T1, 356 and T4. Tons of room for fins and passages for air flow. The Furman four cam carrera race engine also has the valves top and bottom. This engine also had two fans back to back with air inlets on the front and back side of the shroud. The cooling capacity of that engine was huge. You can learn a lot looking at Porsche engines. A air cooled VW would never survive on the Le Mans track at speed.

You can create a test that measures gas mileage on a caddy going down hill to make things look good but honest testing is another matter.

Dan

x2
hooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Sorry everyone. I've addressed this in another thread. I had them tested by three separate companies. Their testing confirmed that they are better running, better cooling and better quality heads than comparably priced heads made by other companies.

Have "Them" post their test results in their own words with their name attached. I'm not interested in your salemanship talk or self proclaimed opinions.

Have to agree with Dave on this one. Name, rank and serial number and date of birth please. I would like to know who "THEM" is as well.

I spent most my money on women and VW race cars. The rest I wasted.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if you will pay all cost,I will sacrifice my vw for a few passes at Le Mans track at speed,I realy dont think it will hurt squat but your wallet.and Im due for a vacation.you can come too!!

Not for 24 hrs. It would melt. A engine builder friend of mine told me about a 82mm crank engine he built for a custumer. He drove it from LA to Vegas at a constant 100+ mph for hours and the crank broke. Had very few miles one it. Vw's are great cruisers and an short blasts here and there and they just fine.

Dan
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Ripa (JBBugs) is a regular in the Chump Car endurance races in his Type 1 powered Beetle, and manages to place well in his class. I suppose you folks could wax poetically about how he can't be doing it.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this other thread Roy speaks of, or is it top secret?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I have to disagree with you after building and racing VW engines in off road racing. Many VW engines have lasted at high RPMs in extreme conditions racing a 1,000 miles in Baja.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
... just had my first child 2 weeks ago.

Congrats bro!! Nothing like being a new dad to change your whole outlook on life!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Dan,
I have to disagree with you after building and racing VW engines in off road racing. Many VW engines have lasted at high RPMs in extreme conditions racing a 1,000 miles in Baja.

+1
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Dan,

the main thing I believe is that the AC VW engine was never designed for sustained HIGH RPM usage, when I say High , more than originally intended, redline was what 4500 rpm? some of us are pushing north of 7 now, and for a case/crank that was not designed for those kind of rpms of course we are going to see failures. we always seem to point towards porsche, in this case I will again... look at the 911, the crank was supported at each throw.... if our VW's were designed in such a manner with the right materials also... it could have a longer life in upper rpms... they just simply weren't designed for it.

Just because many have survived sustained high rpm use, doesn't mean it was meant for it...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Dan,

Off road cars don't have the constant high speed high load WOT operation that the Le mans track gives you. The Le mans track will tax almost any cooling system. Dan
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. The Subaru also has a main between each rod also. The Gene berg crank was a crank that could also handle sustained high RPM. Dan

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Dan,

the main thing I believe is that the AC VW engine was never designed for sustained HIGH RPM usage, when I say High , more than originally intended, redline was what 4500 rpm? some of us are pushing north of 7 now, and for a case/crank that was not designed for those kind of rpms of course we are going to see failures. we always seem to point towards porsche, in this case I will again... look at the 911, the crank was supported at each throw.... if our VW's were designed in such a manner with the right materials also... it could have a longer life in upper rpms... they just simply weren't designed for it.

Just because many have survived sustained high rpm use, doesn't mean it was meant for it...
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Vw's are great cruisers and an short blasts here and there and they just fine.

Dan

Pretty similar to a turbo-charged Subaru IMO -- easy-to-squeeze power out of, but not a BMW or Mercedes when it comes to sustaining it.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Sustaning lots of power Reply with quote

stan_tichomirov wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Vw's are great cruisers and an short blasts here and there and they just fine.

Dan

Pretty similar to a turbo-charged Subaru IMO -- easy-to-squeeze power out of, but not a BMW or Mercedes when it comes to sustaining it.

Stan

Its hard to praise a Mercedes or BMW for sustained reliability. They have their own reasons for breaking down for no good reason. The Mercedes might not even start depending on if the infrared transponder key even works. The Bmw or Mercedes both might not finish cause every electrical sensor under the sun could go out. The BMW Vanos(Variable timeing) system could go out and ruin the engine if the sensors dont cut your race short first.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: heads? Reply with quote

I still have the needle but can't seem to find the thread here anymore

I spent most my money on women and VW race cars. The rest I wasted.
jammied
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish Roy would ship my heads(I ordered some 042's)! I believe he has a good product.

That being said I only order outside the USA manufature is When the USA doesn't have the product I'm looking for like the 250cc and up chinese buggies and hipo parts for them, oh and the aircooled vw parts Wink

I do think after sales service could be better from MoFoCo, But as long as I can put my motor together before the end of summer it's all good
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammied wrote:
Wish Roy would ship my heads(I ordered some 042's)! I believe he has a good product.

I do think after sales service could be better from MoFoCo, But as long as I can put my motor together before the end of summer it's all good

How long have you been waiting for the heads? Was you credit card charged the same day you ordered?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on joining fatherhood Roy,

My oldest turns 17 in December & my youngest is 13...

You'll quickly come to learn that becoming a dad helps a man gain a better perspective on life so I'm glad to see your dedication to a purpose & priorities are correctly aligned now. Only time will tell for all of the naysayers but I for one hope for your continued success, prosperity & look forward to seeing your future contributions to the ACVW market...

It's absolutely true that you cannot make everyone happy all of the time & one of these days...(most likely next year @ the rate I'm going)...I'll be calling to seek your advice & products for my bug engine build.

JW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: