Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting My Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagey.jg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2COOLED wrote:
kman wrote:
I have a tacoma double cab and I have had to be pretty stubborn a couple of times at u-haul until they gave up and rented to me. The real problem is that their trailers are so heavy, which can make the combined weight exceed the towing capacities that they have in the computer. I like the u-haul trailers. They are very stable.

Nice to know it can be done. Will stick to it and explore all options. I may be able to rent an SUV at a discount then I won't have to worry about the weight limit.

One thing to note is that my hitch receiver has a max distribution weight of 5,000 lbs.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to use a transport company, give these guys a call: J & S Transportation http://www.jandstransport.com/

These guys are haulers...not brokers. They run their own trucks, although they'll farm out jobs that aren't on one of their regular routes, and you deal directly with their people. I had them deliver my '63 Beetle from Idaho to CA last year and was totally satisfied with their service. They picked up and delivered right on time, and I was in contact with the driver during the entire trip. They used an open hauler, but my car was never unloaded until it arrived at my door, and it suffered no damage whatsoever while on the road.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try another trailer rental outfit. UHaul is kind of terrible (actually, not kind of, more like very), and after more extremely terrible experiences with them than I should have ever tolerated, I will never use them again for the sorts of things you're encountering now.

One thing to consider is that you might buy a trailer on CL, get it up to Bellevue and sell it there for what you paid for it (or even a little more if you're good on the buy side). Better yet, keep it! It's always nice to have a decent flatbed around.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the great tips guys!

cagey'jg: "One thing to note is that my hitch receiver has a max distribution weight of 5,000 lbs." I was thinking of an Expedition size SUV so I assume it will have a properly rated receiver.

rcooled: I will definitely give J&S a call. Should be good enough as long as I can be assured it will be a one on, one off type of arrangement.

spectre6000: Yes, I've been looking at other outfits other than UHaul. I did look at buying and thought I found a good deal on a lightweight drive-on trailer posting in our local CL, I guess it was really a good deal as it was sold before I could call. It was lightly used too.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd post a final update as a way of thanking everyone that bothered to post tips.

My '69 made it safe and sound and will be kibitzing with the Treffen participants tomorrow afternoon as they kick off the trip to the Mexican border via Hwy 1 Smile

Looked at various options suggested including a bunch of good ones from this Forum, one of my calls was to Cat's Exotics in Bellevue and they gave me names of the companies they use and highly recommended Plycar. Turns out that aside from specialty cars Plycar is a regular carrier of snowbirds from Canada to the southern US in both coasts. Called them up and got a really reasonable quote. Long story short they picked up and delivered at the day and time promised. My Baby Blue was in good company riding in a covered dedicated transport with a bunch of exotics and new A4s. Great simple arrangement, excellent service! Very Happy

VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, glad it worked out. I too plan on being in Bellevue tomorrow for the treffen get together! I'll keep my eyes open for your baby blue. Very Happy
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great! Look forward to meeting you. Being fairly new it would be nice to get to know more ACVW folks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: