Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBCDR section 2 + Gallagher Head Lake trip 2014
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroJack wrote:
Astro Guy wrote:
So, where did the Cherokee come from? Was he just stuck in the mosh pit by the meadow when you guys were on your way down, or was he an extended part of your group?

He was at the lake when we were coming down. Not part of our group. Extracted from the mud pit by Frankensubysyncro. Wink

Yeah, that whole scene was a bit sketchy prior to FrankenSubieSyncro hooking up to him. I told Jahbah that it looked like one of those videos that you see on Youtube where somebody gets hurt in the end. I'm really glad that it all worked out though.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Astro Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing everybody's line out the mosh pit for the downward run. It's a good spot to leave a camera man to capture everyone coming through.

I stayed to the right, nosed up my drivers tire to the boulder and climbed it, with my rear then sliding out and straddling the boulder. Was hoping it would be a "no touch" situation and luckily I was right. Shocked

The boulder obviously passed between my wheel and diff. I relocated my shock brackets from below the axle to the upper shoulder of the axle for just such instances and it paid off there.

The E series SMB went far left, slid back down to catch the boulder on his passenger tire, thrashed around in the mosh pit for a moment, and climbed out. Good action .
'03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 4-5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 255 70R16 AT's, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Guacho couch, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could have come along on this trip. I've only been up there once and it was amazing. I didn't have any van buddies with me so I didn't try any of the hard stuff, just up to the lake and back down the next morning. That was before the hightop, 16" wheels and LSD. I'd like to see how the mods changed the ride.

I've used that trail as my measuring stick for camper vans from other manufacturers. If it can't make it up to the lake it's not going to work for me.

That said, I haven driven my new not-a-vw AWD van with rear locker up there yet but I think it'll make it just fine. I'd probably have to go with Astroguy though cause my vw friends all give me crap for buying a full size American van.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a tough tough crowd to please. Add some vee-dub bling to it, and we'll probably come around.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrideWheelies wrote:
I didn't try any of the hard stuff, just up to the lake and back down the next morning.

For me that WAS the hard stuff! Shocked
I didn't attempt the trail to Crankshaft Hill with my low profile tires!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
We're a tough tough crowd to please. Add some vee-dub bling to it, and we'll probably come around.

VW bling? I have thought about putting a "synchro" sticker on the front. (Intentional misspelling).

When you get that Root Beer syncro done lets all take a trail ride.
Astro Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IrideWheelies"

That said, I haven driven my new not-a-vw AWD van with rear locker up there yet but I think it'll make it just fine. I'd probably have to go with Astroguy though cause my vw friends all give me crap for buying a full size American van.[/quote]

Hahaha. Does that me I get a "COEXIST" decal?

I might be leery of the single speed Tcase in the awd van. The only time I've done the trail with a guy NOT in Lo range was a new guy in a stock 2000 4Runner. He would not take suggestions to air down and shift into 4 Lo. He overheated at about 2/3 the way up to the lake.

Try it out on the lower section and see what you think.
'03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 4-5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 255 70R16 AT's, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Guacho couch, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low range T-case is on the list if future mods, for sure. We better take this chevy talk back to expedition portal before we're kicked outta here.

Vanagon content!

This was my camp by the lake last time I went up there. I had the whole place to myself. You can't see it in the pic but I smashed in both front corners of my fiberglass bumpers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made it up there with no locker. There was some snow near the top that wasn't fun to drive up. I just kept my momentum and hoped for the best!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrideWheelies wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

VW bling? I have thought about putting a "synchro" sticker on the front. (Intentional misspelling).

When you get that Root Beer syncro done lets all take a trail ride.

You really really should do that.

We gotta get Jimbo all fired up again and send that tranny off to AA, so I can finish it for him.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence I was up in that area as well this weekend (doing some backpacking, but needed the van for the Scatter Creek crossing). If you saw a blue syncro westy when driving through Roslyn on Sunday, that was me (eating pizza).
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IrideWheelies"

That said, I haven driven my new not-a-vw AWD van with rear locker up there yet but I think it'll make it just fine. I'd probably have to go with Astroguy though cause my vw friends all give me crap for buying a full size American van.[/quote]

Say it ain't so, say it ain't so! We didn't lose you to the dark side.... I was hoping to catch up with you guys at Mogfest. You guys sold your Hightop and bought a brand x van? Shocked
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the tire shop. I had that slow leak because my rim was bent all to hell! They fixed it for $28. Very Happy

Another pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to my photobucket album with more pics and a few videos from crankshaft hill. I couldn't figure out how to insert the videos here since they weren't youtube or vimeo. Also didn't want to copy and paste all the links to the photos.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Frankensubysyncro/library/WABDR%20Trip?sort=3&page=1

Photogdave, just a note for future reference with steel wheels you can take a hammer and pound the rim back so it doesn't leak anymore. May be a helpful trail repair someday. Hopefully you will come out with us again someday. Where are the pics of me pulling the cherokee out of the mosh pit?
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Photogdave, just a note for future reference with steel wheels you can take a hammer and pound the rim back so it doesn't leak anymore. May be a helpful trail repair someday. Hopefully you will come out with us again someday. Where are the pics of me pulling the cherokee out of the mosh pit?

Yeah, it was the inside of the rim so I didn't see it was bent until the wheel was off at the tire shop!
I video'd the Cherokee extraction, so you'll have to wait until I finish the movie!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Astro Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Here is a link to my photobucket album with more pics and a few videos from crankshaft hill. I couldn't figure out how to insert the videos here since they weren't youtube or vimeo. Also didn't want to copy and paste all the links to the photos.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Frankensubysyncro/library/WABDR%20Trip?sort=3&page=1

?

Wow. Suffice it to say that hill is unpredictable. Shocked

Good shots on the camera.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added another video of me going down crankshaft hill. It is slow and not as exciting as Jahbah's uphill attempt.

Looking forward to seeing the video. Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip all around guys, wish I could have made it. Im headed up at the end of September and cant wait.

-Keith
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wheelie Jahbah! Did it cause skid marks? Razz
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Wow! You can really see how far left the rear end of Jahbah's rig jumped before pulling the wheels off the ground. No wonder something broke! Crazy!

And thanks for adding all the different photos, guys! I love seeing all of the different perspectives of the same places. So cool!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really cool to see video footage and figure what you did or should have done. Laughing I can't believe that my rear end jumped that much either, I wasn't really going that fast and I thought I would creep over that rock. I guess my drivers rear side really pulled the whole back end into the rut. Doesn't really matter what cv axle combo you have when your rear end hits the ground with the wheels moving. Good thing I have great driving tutors and can hopefully get better fast! I have more video on the way today.
Cheers eh
D
Jahbah~D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: