Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 help in southernish Nj
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71*RUBY*redbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: 71 help in southernish Nj Reply with quote

Hello all! I am Pat, my fiancé and I own a beauty. 1971 weekender. We are currently having some lighting issues. I have studied the wire diagram, both in my book and here on the samba. Still having problems. It is keeping us off the road And summer is quickly getting away from us. There are a few things done by the po that I am still attempting to remedy. I could definitely benefit from seeing a functioning lighting system in action to try to determine what these clipped wires are and why my blinkers work sometimes, and why my right brake light goes out when the lights are on and pedal depressed. So would anyone in the Gloucester County, Camden County or surrounding areas want the lend a hand and perhaps take some photos or even stop by my garage and let me physically look at their lights and wires. Unfortunately I do not know anyone in nj with a 71. I was part of Leak oil out in ohio and was not aware of my light issue while I was there. My fiancé and I really want to get some camping done before Summer is done. My bus is parked at my parents house in Grenloch. Any help before I give in And take her to Savich in philly and pay to have it fixed would be wonderful. If much rather spend money on beer and pizza for work time than on mechanic time. As I said above I'd really just like to look at a working system to compare. Thanks so much for reading.
Pat
[email protected]
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, TheSamba is a great tool... But there is a HUGE and very active VW club in your area. By far one of the most organized, active and friendly groups I've ever encountered.
Swing over, introduce yourself and I'm sure they've got some ideas for you!

http://www.cjvws.com

Make sure to get to their show in September!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the turn signal switch. Look and see if it appears to have been replaced recently with an aftermarket unit. Most of these units are crap and I believe could be causing at least some of your problems.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 71 help in southernish Nj Reply with quote

71*RUBY*redbus wrote:
why my right brake light goes out when the lights are on and pedal depressed.

This sounds like a possible loose ground issue.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with cleaning all the terminals at the rear lights, especially the grounds. This is a common problem.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71*RUBY*redbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem is that if have things that were unplugged and clipped by po. Some wires that I cAn not seem to find their correct location, and even a small vacuum hose that seems to have no home.? Both inline fuse locations for reverse lights are clipped/missing parts. A good look at a system to compare would defanitely help. I'm off work Friday evening, and Sunday all day. Anyone who is perhaps out cruising would like to stop by. Pm me much Appreciated.
Pat, Lynn, Luna, and Ruby
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you take some good quality close up pics of the wires in question and post them here. We'll most likely be able to tell you where they go.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71*RUBY*redbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get some pictures this weekend and post them see up. Thanks everyone
bigdan.theplumber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground tab on my right tail light broke off (POS cheap Chinese crap) so, it wasn't properly grounded. It did exactly the same thing.

In the picture, the brass tab all by itself to the right of the plug is for ground. Make sure that is connected on your bus.

Unexpected or unusual electrical problems (when things are acting weird but not catching on fire) are usually bad ground. I used to do trailer wiring when I worked at U-haul and your best friend is a 12v test light.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Piercing-Circuit-Tester-SIL633772/dp/B00IXBJDN8

This isn't the exact same model as mine but its very similar. I recommend this kind because you can pierce the insulation and test the wire without having to remove the insulation. This is useful for when you've got a bundle of wires and you're looking for the one that has voltage like a brake light or turn signal.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend this kind because you can pierce the insulation and test the wire without having to remove the insulation
If you use this outside the cabin. Please use an adhesive sealant to seal the holes back up.
71*RUBY*redbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did trace the wires with the color coated diagram here on thesamba. One wire however I could not find a home for is coming from the harness on battery side and has a female connector. It looks factory but I can not find it in the diagram. So tomarrow I will get pictures. Unfortunately my bus is parked in nj, I live in philly. My passat was driven into more times than I can count so we do not park the bus here. So I'll get some pictures posted tomarrow evening.
Thanks everyone
Pat
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do take lots of pics. Take one of the steering wheel column and the turn signal switch too. Most of the probs are associated with loose brown ground wires in the back. Do the rear side marker lights and the license plate light work? How bout your back-up lights when in reverse? Do all 4 parking lights flash when you pull out the emergency flasher knob? The knob itself should flash too. See if you can get your camera in the engine compartment and point it at the tail light wiring and in good focus, since it seems that there isn't anyone near by you that come over with a '71 for comparison.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backup lights couldn't hardly be easier, you just need a wire running from the "+" terminal on the coil to the backup light switch in the transmission with an 8 amp inline fuse installed it it. Hopefully the wire from the switch to the backup lights themselves is still there. We are talking about a 10 minute fix here.

To reiterate what others have said, you likely have bad grounds for the rear tail lights and side marker lights. Very common. A small wire brush and a tube of dielectric grease are your friends here. Be prepared to have to replace several of the female spade terminals and maybe some of the brown ground wire as well, as the wire gets pretty crappy with age from running near the batteries.

Probe lights and meters are your friends here. You are running blind if you don't have them.
71*RUBY*redbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone I will get in there later this evening and through the weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: