Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shadetree's Wolfsburg Tintop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's good feedback. I'll be especially interested to hear about any engine movement you can detect under acceleration/deceleration.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sometimes it is the simplest thing. Picked up a new battery today and took it for a test drive up to Beaumont, a distance of 15 miles through the Badlands, climbing over 1000 feet. I passed quite a few vehicles, then purposely fell in behind a Semi climbing at 45 MPH. Then, with a gap in the fast lane I downshifted to 3rd and hammered it. We quickly got back up to 65 and started passing cars again. I hit it pretty hard up the hill. Coolant temps fluctuated between 206 and 210. IAT's between 126 and 140 degrees. After one hard run it was at 140, I backed off the throttle and it dropped back to 126 pretty quick. At the top of the hill, just past the Hwy 60 / I-10 merge, I pulled off to turn around. Idling at the light, coolant spiked to 215. As soon as I hit the onramp and nailed it to merge with traffic it came back down to 210. Coming down the hill I was content to run easy, pulling off to snap a picture before I reached the valley. I was stopped about 90 seconds total and it started right back up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before returning home I filled up again. I had used 9 gallons (Premium) and logged 145 miles, for a result of 16.11 MPG. During this tankful I have been flogging it hard, and with the faulty t-stat allowing it to run cool, it was probably running a little rich.

I've shut it off and restarted it hot several times now. No problem. Time to pack up the camping gear. Laughing

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'll be especially interested to hear about any engine movement you can detect under acceleration/deceleration.

During my run today I paid attention to the shifter, it doesn't move at all when accelerating or decelerating, which makes me think the motor isn't moving much. I need to figure out a way to watch the motor during a run. I wish I had a GoPro.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Tim... and do not worry about the spike while idling, mine hit 212 today sitting in traffic with it 88 outside. As in your case as soon as you get moving drops quickly.

I took special notice of my temps today while on the freeway for about 10 minutes (68-70mph avg) I avg'd 125-135 IAT and 188-193 h2O (this was off from previous statement of 185'ish in 100 heat) These temps included heavy throttle and cruise control.

If I remember correctly (old age caveat) Stephan once said no worries until you hit 230 on coolant temp.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks, that's good feedback. I'll be especially interested to hear about any engine movement you can detect under acceleration/deceleration.

Zeit, I thought of you this afternoon and decided I needed to know as well, so I made this video. How much movement is there? You be the judge. Laughing

Enjoy.

WARNING: This video could induce lust. Watch at your own risk

Link

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I made the video displayed above, I checked out under the van to make sure nothing was coming loose, hanging down, breaking, deforming, etc. Staring up at the pulleys, I noticed the serpentine belt was now 1/2 as wide as it was when I installed it. What the? Who the? It was a brand new belt. Shocked Checking everything over, it seems the new AC belt idler was rubbing up against the serpentine belt. Since I don't currently have AC anyway, I just took it off. But I need to figure out why it's rubbing. This is all stock Passat parts, nothing I've done should have affected any of this.
Don't know if you can see in this picture, but this belt was planning on leaving me stranded. Good thing I carried the old one under the back seat.

Next I cut some 3/4" stock to fill in around the engine hatch. I think that will be enough to make the bed comfortable. I'll be sleeping on it this weekend so I'll know for sure then. This 3/4" scrap is heavier than I needed or wanted, but it should do for now.

'74 Jeep CJ5
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir. That looks sweet, and everything appears to be well within normal ranges of motion. Unless you're dumping the clutch at 6k, I highly doubt your install will require the rear mount.

y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stock 2 wire VSS switch that I'm looking for confirmation on wiring. With only 2 wires, obviously one goes to the ECU. The other goes to ground? Or 12V? The 3 wire VSS switches wire to ground, 12V & the ECU. I connected this one to ground and the OBD2 still displays "missing VSS input". I would imagine that means I should connect it to 12V instead, but would rather not let any magic smoke out of my ECU, so without confirmation I will not connect it at all. And perhaps I am blind, but I haven't found the VSS in the Bentley.

'74 Jeep CJ5
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadetree's new theme song is gonna have to be Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Call me the Breeze"!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley 97.173

I think you are going to need a 3 wire version though.

Mark

shadetreetim wrote:
I have a stock 2 wire VSS switch that I'm looking for confirmation on wiring.... I haven't found the VSS in the Bentley.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the three wire version VSS should work. Has power/ground/ecu connections just like the stock 1.8T VSS.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this VSS located on the van?

y u rune klassik?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 wire version is used in various VWs that have factory cruise control, including Vanagons. It mounts on the back of the speedometer. VWs since the early 80s have a little knockout plate on the back of the speedo where the VSS can go. Some later VW cars used a 3 wire version in the same spot and people put this into vans when they have an ECU that needs or wants a vehicle speed signal.

Mark

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Where is this VSS located on the van?
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like this.
here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338812
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the good news. Very Happy So far, the instrument cluster I bought off eBay has produced zero results. The tach was bad, the VSS is the wrong one. I bet it wouldn't even hold the door open in a light breeze.

I'm posting from our campsite. The bed sleeps great. Before we left yesterday I trimmed down the wood in front of the engine hatch so the seat back would not rest on it. The bed is relatively flat now.

Anyway, I've got some staring at the waves to do. Thanks for your input.

'74 Jeep CJ5
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having returned home from a 150 mile round trip camping at San Onofre this weekend, I have a few thoughts. It was cool to watch the IAT's drop as we got into cooler weather by the beach. It was 100 degrees when we left home and IAT's were pretty constant at 123 degrees while maintaining 65-70 MPH on the freeway. Coolant temp was very consistent at 210 degrees. Heading South out of Irvine the temps started dropping and so did out IAT's. In 80 degree weather, IAT was steady at 106 degrees while Coolant temps stayed at 210.

We had a variety of driving conditions, from wide open 70 MPH runs down to stop and go traffic on I-5 through San Juan Capistrano. I tried to keep from applying unnecessary power just for the thrill of it, and purposefully kept top speed at 70 MPH.

On our way home we got stuck in Orange County traffic and were running behind to meet our daughter, so I let loose the power. We ran 75-85 MPH when we had the room. Heading up Toll Road 241 towards Highway 91 there is a pretty good steep hill. Our speed was 75 MPH as we hit the bottom of it, but it was steep enough we couldn't maintain it, dropping to 65 MPH. That's when the difference between the waterboxer and this 1.8t became apparent. At 65 I downshifted to 3rd, accelerated to 78 MPH (6000 RPM), and held it for a half mile up the hill, shifting to 4th at the crest. Shocked At 6000 RPM, this motor sounds incredibly smooth and eager. I found it strange, at the crest of the hill, IAT's were 140 degrees, but Coolant had actually dropped to 200.

I haven't filled up yet, but from experience, I think we'll find this tank was in the 16 MPG range just like the first tank with the 1.8t. On the trip down on Friday it seemed we were getting better than normal mileage, but the heavy-footed return trip wasn't kind to my average. Wink Still, to keep it in perspective, as my lifetime average with the waterboxer was probably 16.6 MPG, that's not a bad result. I'll take more power while keeping the same MPG's any day. Now I need to show some restraint and use that power a little more judiciously to realize better mileage.

And after 2 nights sleeping on the bed, I will confirm it is more comfortable to have the cushion raised the amount it is. Of course, I have the Carat seat which seemed to drop off into the cushion area when stock. Those flat Westy cushions may not hide the lift as well.

'74 Jeep CJ5
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a request for a video of the 1.8t in motion, so I made one last night while I was running errands. The Torque Pro App has an add-on that allows you to take video with small gauges displayed around the edges. You can even have it show an opaque map with the video playing through it. Cool stuff. It was informative to watch Boost, IAT's, Coolant Temps, RPM and Speed while I wasn't distracted by driving. Unfortunately, the only way to view the video with the gauges superimposed is with the app. When I copied the MP4 to my computer, none of the overlays came with it. If you've been wondering how differently a Vanagon drives with a 1.8t, check it out.

Link

This morning as I headed out on more errands I stopped to fill up. This first tank of Premium I only achieved 15 MPG. Shocked To be fair, I have made many full throttle runs, and have been pushing it harder than I normally drive. After filling up I made several vows for this tankful.

1) I vow to use no more than half throttle (no full throttle passes).
2) I vow to not exceed 4000 RPM, typically shifting at 3500.
3) I vow to not exceed 70 MPH.

I've put about 65 miles on it since this morning in freeway and around town driving. Using these guidelines I found it was quiet, quick and smooth. Really felt relaxed. I was reminded of Jack's advise when I picked up my transmission from him; "If you drive this motor as you do a waterboxer, your're going to get lots of tickets". And his other comment that stuck with me; "The 1.8t is the motor Volkswagen should have put in the Vanagon". I see what you mean, Jack. Laughing I've got a lot of learning left to do.

'74 Jeep CJ5
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds so purty, and I love the down shift burble that ya just don't get with an automatic... but with an auto I have the advantage of having my mocha in hand while cruising in stop and go traffic Very Happy

Glad it has all worked out for ya... E N J O Y !
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've read the stolen Vanagon threads over the years, I know I have been fortunate to have never had a vehicle stolen... until now. I was leaving for work this morning when I realized my wife's Tiguan wasn't in the driveway where I left it yesterday afternoon after changing the oil in it. This sucks. I have cameras around my house and reviewing tape shows the thief stole it at 4:00AM this morning.

This reinforces the need to install an autmatic kill switch in my Vanagon. Fortunately it was the Tiguan that was stolen, which is easily replaceable. Just a hassle to go through.

'74 Jeep CJ5
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that does suck. Also glad it was the Tiguan that was gone......

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after putting all that work in on her Tiguan adding a miniature Westy roof...

'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 33

Jump to: