Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Cosmo to get
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Which Cosmo to get Reply with quote

Hi, I'm shopping for Cosmo 5x130 wheels and need help. Cip1 and Carcraft both carry the new Cosmo (cosmic) but a slight difference in price. One is made by MWS and the other is EMPI. Any Difference in quality or looks? I'm gonna buy a set either way but hoping to figure out the cap situation. I'm really digging the Porsche emblem on these wheels, even though they weren't made by Porsche Smile
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Porsche center caps for empi cosmics?

I went with the empi's. Super nice. I got mine from kaddie shack. Free shipping, had a ad right here on samba. They went above and beyond for me.

I'd say go with the cheapest. Plus don't u wanna be able to say u got Empi wheels!

I think my center caps look great. Better in person IMO than my crappy cell phone pic. See link above. Definitely one of the cheapest routes for the Porsche caps. After shelling out for rims, who can afford $200 center caps + machining work on 4 caps and 4 wheels!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm leaning towards Carcraft since I got the chrome 911 Alloys from them.
Thanks a lot lowindO. Is it just a sticker over the wheel cap hole? I also found these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-65mm-Car-Wheel-Center...mp;vxp=mtr
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those with the clips as well. I think the clips might actually work on the rims but not sure. You might just have to guinea pig it for $10 and see. Worst case scenario you might have to break off the clips and glue it.

Mine are just a sticker over the hole. I used the wire bail that came with them to space the center cap out a little bit so it wasn't as recessed. I also used some clear RTV to help it stick. I did it with the rims off the car and from the back side of the rim smeared a good amount, basically siliconing the center cap to the wheel. No sealant can be seen from the exterior rims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the plunge and purchased to EMPI Cosmo wheels about a week and a half ago. The wheels were covered in blemishes and the machining was kinda sloppy on the spokes. There were little spots and even "pimple craters". hard to descibe but I'll try to upload a photo. One of the wheels was actually stamped with an ET of 40 when they should be 45. It was a mess so I sent them back to Carcraft and hope to try again but I do have some caps on the way for test fit.
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully this pic works...on the right side of lip on rim there is a "dimple" and some of the rough machining on the spoke below it. There were blemishes like this scattered all over each of the wheels Sad The machined face should be smooth and consistent right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are the wide 5 and have no blemishes that I've seen. But I don't see what your talking about in the photo either?!

Hope that helps? I look forward to seeing the center caps u were talking about.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the MWS may also be made in China, but it's the QA that EMPI doesn't seem to pay for that's the issue.
I would have bought from MWS, but you did the correct thing by returning the EMPI's.
Unless crap gets returned, there is NO WAY EMPI will improve their Quality.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. In the picture there is a small "dimple, crater, pock mark" above the right spoke. There are little "spots" like this scattered around the machined face. The machining is also rough on the edge of the right spoke. Well anyways I was told this is what I can expect from the company so...I'm rethinking my strategy now. I'm willing to try Kaddie shack, but might feel more comfortable picking them up in person. I now have three sets of caps to experiment with Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: