Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jake's 9550 cam kaput? Plus rocker geom. article.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Jake's 9550 cam kaput? Plus rocker geom. article. Reply with quote

Nosing around the Type4 Store, which is no longer Jake's enterprise (?), it seems the 9550 is not any longer offered. What's the next best reco if this is the case, DJet, 1800 pistons and AMC stepped heads, stock valves, 8.5:1 (or so the builder said.) I know the builder just threw the old pushrods back in after raising the deck height considerably with the dished pistons. Stock DJet aftermarket cam and new followers in there now.

Iirc there's a pretty detailed rocker arm geometry on Berg's site, or should be; wondering if anyone downlOaded Jake's article on the topic.

Still hunting for a windshield, btw!!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost touch of a lot of what was going on when the forums went to a social media based operation which I don't do. Having said that and knowing LN Engineering is now operating the Type IV store, I'm curious why you don't call them up and ask.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have an aftermarket D-jet cam...which would be the web 73 right? I dont know how this guy is getting 8.5:1 with 1800 heads and dished pistons.....but D-jet runs better with compression like that.

I have 9550 and have not it yet. It will probably be Nov or Dec. But the 9550 from discussions on the STF several years ago is.....from what I understand ...the web 73 with a few degrees more exhaust valve ovetlap.

I ran the web 73 previously. It does quite well....but you need at least minmum stock 8.2:1 compression or better. I think Jake at some point mentioned issues above 8.5:1 but I think that was mainly with the adjustability of, the injection system.

To fully get the best out of either cam with D-jet you need a better than stock exhaust.....a t-bird with single quiet pack....and an ignition wuth better voltage.....a pertronix module and their 42kv coil is fine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ray, it's a stock grind, 142 iirc. There is a thunderbird on the car now. And also, iirc, there are no cylinder spacers in the motor, or very short ones--the builder did get it over 8:1, and I remember asking him to get as close to 8.5 as he could.

Good to know the 73 is just about the 9550, thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it was sounds like you are on the right track. If they are standard 7cc-ish dished pistonz and you run a tight deck with no barrel shims or head gasket....and maybe a small flycut....sure....you can get into the low to mid 8.0+ . Thats good. D-jet needs the compression for a smooth vacuum signature.

I would be curios as to what the lobe center/intake valve timing specs are for the 142.
The web 73 uses the early valve timing for D-jet. There was an early and late. The late does not really have enough room in the pattern for more lift and duration.....but was optimized better for what it did have that it worked well enough for D-jet, l-jet and carbs. The first year....possibly. ...or 1.7 busses used the same cam. After that the busses used carbs or L-jet and did not need the strict intake valve timing of D-jet so they got a bus specific cam after that.
The web 73 is essentially early D-jet valve timing and lobe center with slightly more lift and duration. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web cam 142 data:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/automobile/volkswagen/install_data/tc_001693_002437.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: