Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Folks & Wagens Cruise-In - July 20 2014 - Atlanta GA
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Folks & Wagens Cruise-In - July 20 2014 - Atlanta GA Reply with quote

Update, "Folks & Wagens" Atlanta area starter cruise in at Corner Pub in Decatur, GA, 20 July, 6 pm.

Corner Pub <-- next to Smith Hardware.

This is "flash mob" type meeting will be held at the Corner Pub - Think Caffeine and Octane for VWs. This is a nice location in historic and quaint Decatur. Please understand that we will hang out in the parking lot, have dinner or beer at the pub. This is not an official event so no insurance, etc. Please understand this when you come.

As or when the event grows there will be appropriate adjustments in timing, location, and so on.

Last edited by MrPolak on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 am; edited 9 times in total
Kchulick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bus isn't ready yet but I still want to come see the other local ones and meet people. Can we stay out of the ghetto and get north of the city?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any location suggestions?

Any thoughts about the Corner Pub in Decatur? There's an Ace Hardware next door. If the meeting is in off-hours we'll have more parking space. https://goo.gl/maps/rlc6I
Kchulick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the north side of Atlanta and will probably attend C&O on Sunday (in my Lotus, not the Bus). Not much riff raff in the area. As I'm a long way from bringing my bus to events I don't want to rock the boat though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kchulick wrote:
I prefer the north side of Atlanta and will probably attend C&O on Sunday (in my Lotus, not the Bus). Not much riff raff in the area. As I'm a long way from bringing my bus to events I don't want to rock the boat though.

I live north of Atlanta as well, but quite a few vintage VW owners live in Decatur area. We had a spring meet there, and Peachstate Transporters used to meet there for years. We never had any "riff raff" issues. This is not to say that the location will not change, but we have to start somewhere and see how things work.
Kchulick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well once a place is picked as long as I can work it in my schedule I'll be there.
Looking forward to meeting some of the locals.
If you know any of them willing to help out with some stuff, keep me posted. (I'm willing to pay a reasonable rate as well) I need to get my new harness in, do some floor welding, get my new brake lines run, etc etc.
I need to move (locally) in another month or so would love to get my Bus mobile again and to a point I can start enjoying it and participating in things with it.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Decatur this weekend to scope out the location in person and chat with the manager to make sure we are OK.

We have to start somewhere, so this would be a first step.

Again, this is open to all clubs and VWs, as the question was posed on Peachstate Transporters FB page.
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the commerce auto swap meet, the man that runs it has been trying to get such a thing going and you get to walk a swap at the same time. He really wants a Vw presence there. There is also a five guys burgers close for food after. Just thought I would throw this in. Wink
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kchulick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wherever it is, I just helped a friend get a Bus yesterday so she is going to want to join as well. Her husband is dying of ALS and before he goes he wanted to get a Bus for his wife to be able to travel around in after he's no longer here. How can you not help someone out with a dying wish? We've been chatting constantly over the past week and searching for Buses within in a reasonable distance and within their budget. They won a Bay window on Ebay last night.
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, saw your post over on GA Dubs as well. Did you make it to Corner Pub?

I think we met at the Peachstate gathering back in the Spring. The meeting in front of the Thrift Store. I had the blue and white '69 Westy.

Anyway, would live to see something revived for Atlanta. The scene has been quiet for a while now. But I see VWs around Decatur all the time.

Thanks for trying this. I'm in for sure....

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to talk to the manager, but I did stop by Saturday evening. The parking lot wraps around to the back of the building with lots of parking and access to the pub from behind where the Three Taverns brewery is. There was a green Baja Bug parked there, so maybe it's an Omen? I will try to call the pub today.

Corner Pub
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a go to try this out Sunday, 20 July at 6pm. I know it's short notice, but we have to start somewhere.

How does "Folks and Wagens" sound?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
We have a go to try this out Sunday, 20 July at 6pm. I know it's short notice, but we have to start somewhere.

Well, I'm in Decatur so would love to join up.

Which VW should I bring?

1990 VW Cabriolet or the 1991 VW Vanagon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

Well, I'm in Decatur so would love to join up.

Which VW should I bring?

1990 VW Cabriolet or the 1991 VW Vanagon?

Sounds like a great ride either way you choose. Smile

I will likely be in my '90 Westy.
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagnabit, Muskey! This is the first time in 24 summers that I'm sorry I'm at the beach...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Athens VW club "poker run" cruise route, pretty drive, great roads, up to lunch at Fenders Diner in Cornelia, next stop at Talluah Falls, then up Hwy23, left on Old441South and left on Lake Rayburn Rd (also becomes Seed Lake Rd) , left on Burton Dam Rd., a windy road that's fun and safe to drive, another stop a the old store when you get to Hwy197 (I think) left to head home..not sure where we went after that, right to go to Jake Rabys, I think. Somewhere along the way we stopped at a huge indoor flea market. We'll See you next time, John
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the rain and the very short notice we had 6 cars show up. Thanks, all! We will do this again.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Any meeting this month? Reply with quote

Enjoyed the company..any get together in August?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: