Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've had this Baja for a few years and have been posting in the HBB forum for a while getting ideas and plans to build this car up into an offroad machine. However, i already have a Toyota 4x4 for off road fun and have always thought it would be cool to have a street car/hot rod and i probably have a good candidate with my 69 bug.

Although for a completed project the costs are going to be similar, to get started i feel like i may spend less money getting the volksrod started.

I have tons of questions about how to set these up but i'll save them for later after i do some more research. But what do you guys think? Save the bug eye front end or go with a stock hood?
I can drop the rear fairly easy but is a LP front end better for lowered cars?

The pics are a little old. I have a stock decklid cut in half in the rear and also the rear tires are slightly taller now as well as narrower front wheels. But all in all you get the idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of guys drop link pin front ends, probably a couple of threads on it. I would sell off the baja parts to fund some of the build. Put a hood on it, push out the front axle, clean up the sharp edges & round them off. Have fun with it.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something to think about
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd roll it with the Baja parts (less fenders)... but make it look more Volksrod..
Extended front axle, lowered etc.
That would be different..

If you invest in a prefab extender it has some drop built in it, add some drop spindles and a couple of torsios adjusters to the beam.. and wall..la .. a ball joint beam will lay on the ground.

You can also buy the prefab extenders to ..extend, and convert the frame head from say ball joint pan to link pin beam..

The sky is the limit on posibilites by way of your wallet and your vision. ...

Semi inspiration..

poomwah wrote:

I love volksrods too. I gave up on mine recently.
this is as far as I got

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I know baja guys like the LP front ends for more wheel travel but is there any advantage in the Volksrod world? I can't go too far forward with the bug eye baja nose. After a few inches i'll go going through the fiberglass nose. But my BJ beam is decent and i dont exactly have the $ to swap beams. The adjusters are currently welded in the "up" position so a beam swap is going to happen eventually. But if i buy drop spindles they're going to be for the type of beam i'll keep on the car.

What size tires are everyone running on these? I have 15x5 wheels up front and 15x7 in the back. The white baja style pictured. Which could look pretty cool. But the big hubcap ones seem to be what everyones running.

Are there any particular years of front hoods to look for? I know the older decklids that come to more of a point will be better for the rear. Pre 68?
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i think narrowed beams are used for lowered cars so the wheels/tires can tuck under the fenders. Do people used narrowed beams on Volksrods?

It is my understanding that BJ beams are more stable/suitable for highway speeds and all around road driving?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that old Baja nose is rough don't be scared to slice it around an extended beam...
That's all part of creating a Volksrod...

As for a Ball Joint beam... If its what you have ....use it.. they are easier to align and do ride and drive a little better because they have more adjustable and more free moving parts.

Most don't narrow a beam on a Volksrod but that doesn't mean its wrong.

A Volksrod is a state of mind...building what the creator invisions.

As for front hoods IMO the older pre 68 looks the best...but if I had a newer post 67 hood to use....I'd use it....

Tires...no limits nothing is wrong..if its what you like.

Its your vision......build it... If you dont like something....change it..

Not to steer you away from here..but... check out www.volksrods.com
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full body '69, trade me yours and you can have a fresh start.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I have a full body '69, trade me yours and you can have a fresh start.

Idk this one has some rusty trouble spots. You're not talking about your class 11 style bug are you?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that one, its got its share of cancer too. If yours isn't too bad I would be serious for it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Yup that one, its got its share of cancer too. If yours isn't too bad I would be serious for it.

Its only bad in the back of the front fender wells. Heck if you wanted to trade i'd be tempted not to cut up that body Wink
Tonyz400
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be neat with the baja front but the beam wont be extendable I would imagine. Kinda like some of these builds

darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe if i posted in here i'd gain some motivation to work on my damn car!

So the story goes like this, my motor was weeping oil out of everywhere it could and was just old and sad so i decided to take it apart Laughing

Case is cracked in "every place it possibly could" from the machine shop so I'm currently waiting on my new case. Sitting in my garage is a 1641 pc kit and a reground crank, rebuilt SP heads, rebuilt rockers and other misc stuff. So operation pep in your step is underway. When i pick up my case i'll be getting a filter pump, engle 100, bearings, and the rest. Yay!

While my car has been parked i've been busy trading the baja parts for stock parts. Traded the lifted beam for a stock beam and had my brother weld the adjusters in to go from stock to down. Sweet. So as it sits i have the adjusters in about the middle location and i reallly like the way it sits. Hard to tell now as i will be swapping tire sizes around. Thinking about a 195/70/15 on the front and 205/70/15 in the rear. My goal is about a 3" drop (for now). I want this car to be a good driver as well.

Also in my garage is new rear bearings, seals, and cv boots. The next weekend will consist of rebuilding and attempting to lower the rear of the car. So we'll see how that goes Laughing

I can post pictures when my phone is charged. The fenderless dropped front end with the bug eye baja nose is pretty cool. One last thing, has anyone had any issues in Southern California for driving around fenderless cars? I see hot rods driving around RIverside all the time and dont see or hear about them being cited for not having fenders.
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody loves pics

Nice shot from the front

Needs an alignment pretty badly

Still need the remove the rear fenders and drop the back. But i like the way its going. Not sure how far it's been dropped but i plan around 3". When i get the rear splines done and new tires on it i can easily adjust the front to match the rear and hopefully i like how it sits.
jvk311729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

did you not want to go the beam extender route... I have one im selling... dirt cheap...
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

jvk311729 wrote:
did you not want to go the beam extender route... I have one im selling... dirt cheap...

Not initially. Was keeping it simple at first to get the car on the road. How much do you want for it? Do you know the specs? drop/caster/forward push etc
jvk311729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

I bout the whole kit from the guy on this site who makes them.. all I know is its a 10 inch beam ext. I don't know the caster and all that stuff. I have it listed in the classifieds at 250.00 obo.. but will trade for welding services or parts...
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

These are for sale in the Seattle region on Craigslist. Wouldn't mind having one myself. Cool

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

It seems to me that you could move the beam in front of the narrow eye baja nose, and just notch around it? Fiberglass is much easier to shape and tweak than sheet metal, I say go for the extension and fab the nose around it. I think it would be trick, and a unique look among volksrods.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about Volksroding my old Baja Reply with quote

a 10" extender should slide right through the cut out for the license plate in that narrow eye, but steering clearance would be an issue. A center steer end load rack and pinion might be cool.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: