Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering a 40hp performance build
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Considering a 40hp performance build Reply with quote

My 63 beetle has it's original engine which runs great. I will be restoring the car this fall. I want more power and better drivabillity can't bring myself to put anything back in it but the numbers matching engine. I really can't find much on 40hp performance. I have somewhat of a plan and lots of questions. I don't know how much of what I want to do can be done or is worth doing. So if anybody has any input feel free.

I plan to have the case cut for cam bearing if it hasn't already been done.I want to send the crank to DPR and have it stroked to 69.5 and counter weighed also the flywheel lightened, 83mm big bore kit, I have an 0.19 distributor that I will send out and have rebuilt. I'm trying to buy some Vanguard intakes that I will run stock 28 pic's on. 1.1:1 1600 rockers no idea on a cam yet. I would like to have the stock heads ported and maybe bigger valves if it's worth the cost.

What do you think? Also considering having a 4.12 r&p installed in the original trans because I was going to have it rebuilt anyway.
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 40 hp guru's?
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang tight, glutamodo should be by...
'73 Sunroof Transporter
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn the vintage speed thread is pretty dead.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a 40hp performance build Reply with quote

This site is not dead .a lot of us are at work .lol .ok yes 40 hp speed parts are hard to find but there out there . I built my 40 hp motor and I must say it was harder to build than a 1600cc motor . I was used to building 1600 cc and up motors where the cases were stronger and had cam bearings . And case savers for the head studs .stronger cranks and all kinds of oil pumps to use ..the up side to building a 40 hp motor there's a lot of cases out there .that don't cost a lot of money. And finding 1965 heads is not that hard . You can use the 1300cc heads and use dual kadron carbs .As for speed parts dual carbs .not that many set ups are out there .most guys build there own dual carb set ups for there 40 hp motors and you can find a center mount manifold that takes a Holley carb or better yet a zienth carb 32ndix . I see them on thesamba all the time .i found my vanguard dual carbs on thesamba there is a set of vanguard manifolds on thesamba right now .if you want to pay $375.00 for them and make your own linkage Allso it's very hard to find a vintage header for a 40 hp motor not many headers out there and when you do find a vintage header your going to pay more for it .there is some cheap headers on thesamba for 40 hp motors .cams you can find any where. My heads have big valves in them and dual springs and are ported . And cut for 81/2 cr. You should be able to find speed parts for your motor .hang in there and start looking every day on thesamba for the parts you need .here is some photos of my 40 hp speed parts. A pepco super charger not for sale =vanguard dual carbs on my formula vee 40 hp motor and a early set of vanguard dual carbs for a 40 hp motor . I am sure a lot of other guys will post pictures of there 40 motors and speed parts give them time ok take care .allso there is not that many guys that build 40 hp motors .when I go to vw shows I most likely see older 6 volt cars with 1600 cc or bigger motors in them to me a guy with a 36 or 40 hp motor with old school speed parts will get more looks than a guy with a 1600cc or bigger motor in his vintage bug just my two cents spencerfvee"bdub475"]My 63 beetle has it's original engine which runs great. I will be restoring the car this fall. I want more power and better drivabillity can't bring myself to put anything back in it but the numbers matching engine. I really can't find much on 40hp performance. I have somewhat of a plan and lots of questions. I don't know how much of what I want to do can be done or is worth doing. So if anybody has any input feel free.

I plan to have the case cut for cam bearing if it hasn't already been done.I want to send the crank to DPR and have it stroked to 69.5 and counter weighed also the flywheel lightened, 83mm big bore kit, I have an 0.19 distributor that I will send out and have rebuilt. I'm trying to buy some Vanguard intakes that I will run stock 28 pic's on. 1.1:1 1600 rockers no idea on a cam yet. I would like to have the stock heads ported and maybe bigger valves if it's worth the cost.

What do you think? Also considering having a 4.12 r&p installed in the original trans because I was going to have it rebuilt anyway.[/quote]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot spencerfvee. I am corresponding with the owner of the intakes you mentioned. Trying to see if I can get them at a reasonable price. I know that I have the ability to build my own intakes and dual carb setup but I really want something of the correct vintage.
Were the Vanguard intakes sold as a kit with carbs and linkage? If so was it originally a cable setup?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub475 wrote:
Thanks a lot spencerfvee. I am corresponding with the owner of the intakes you mentioned. Trying to see if I can get them at a reasonable price. I know that I have the ability to build my own intakes and dual carb setup but I really want something of the correct vintage. Were the Vanguard intakes sold as a kit with carbs and linkage? If so was it originally a cable setup?

Hi I used to live in medina ohio .where vanguard had a shop the first vanguard dual carb set ups came with a cable set up for the 40 hp motors then later on vanguard made a cross bar linkage not many sets were made with the cross bar linkage . Because vanguard stopped making the dual carb set up in 1971 vanguard went back to making race cars and working on formula vee race cars in 1971 .

The intakes your thinking of buying are for the cross bar type linkage . Like the carb set up I have on my formula vee motor in the picture. The other vanguard dual carb set up I have is on the board and is a cable set up witch does work well when set up right. there have been some other guys on the samba that use the cable linkage on vanguard dual carb set ups and like it a lot . .back to the cross bar set up I had to repro the linkage because it was missing ..it took some work but I got it made and it works great.

Hope you get the intake manifolds you will like them .i had to pay $550.00 for my vanguard dual carb set up but it had the rare vanguard air cleaners that were almost nos and a set vanguard valve covers .and the cable linkage . Type intake manifolds .. A good friend made a trade with me for some parts I had and I got the linkage type vanguard intake manifolds . Witch will work better for me because I have a vanguard bobsy formula vee race car that the 40 hp motor is going in good luck getting the intake manifolds . Let me know how you made out spencerfvee...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spencerfvee. I may be able to get my hand on this set up. It has a cable linkage. I can't see the intakes in the pix I'm going to try and look at them this weekend.
What are the advantages of the 65 heads? Bigger valves and better ports? How do I distinguish them from other 40hp heads.
Thanks again.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub475 wrote:
Thanks spencerfvee. I may be able to get my hand on this set up. It has a cable linkage. I can't see the intakes in the pix I'm going to try and look at them this weekend.
What are the advantages of the 65 heads? Bigger valves and better ports? How do I distinguish them from other 40hp heads.
Thanks again.

Hi I must tell you iam new to 40 hp speed parts I am still learning about them and it's been a lot of fun . All I can tell you about the 1965 heads is they are square boss heads like the 1300 1500 1600 heads the rocker studs are stronger on some of the older 40 heads the studs would pull out that is the weak part of the round boss heads and you can run 1:1:1 rocker arms the valves are the same there not bigger it's just a better head all around . That dual carb set up is so cool I love old speed parts I take it the other guy would not deal with you on the vanguard intake manifolds . Let me know if you get the dual carb set up I would like to see who made it and what it looks like .its a lot of fun finding old speed. Parts lol spencerfveequote
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm waiting to hear back on the Vanguard intakes. I asked him if he had any wiggle room and he emailed me back with a slightly lower price but still not where I want to be for just intakes alone. I'm not sure if the carb setup pictured is even for sale yet. I'm not getting a straight anwser from him.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub475 wrote:
Thanks. I'm waiting to hear back on the Vanguard intakes. I asked him if he had any wiggle room and he emailed me back with a slightly lower price but still not where I want to be for just intakes alone. I'm not sure if the carb setup pictured is even for sale yet. I'm not getting a straight anwser from him.

hi sounds like your getting no where .tell you what .I will sell you my vanguard cable set up . With two 28 pic carbs that need rebuilt they came with the intake manifolds so there vintage correct .you get the cable linkage I made and the org. Vanguard cable . The first vanguard intake set up used two o rings on the intake manifold to seal the intake manifold to the head .you must line the two o rings up to be sure they will seal good other than that there good to go all you have to do is get a set of air cleaners and rebuild the carbs .i really never looked inside the carbs they don't look bad from the out side .you seem like a nice guy who really would use them on your car .they are doing me no good sitting on a board it would be nice to see them on a motor . Pictures are of my carbs on my 40 hp motor and the vanguard cable intake manifolds .

if you want them there yours if you don't want them no big deal I thought I would offer them to you for $225.00 free shipping if you live in the USA how's that for a deal lol spencerfvee
H manifold
[img]

bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is awesome. I will definitely take them and they will be used and appreciated. I live in New Mexico. I will take this to pm now. Thanks a lot. I will post up pix as soon as I install them.
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vanguard carb kit arrived today. Can't wait to start tinkering with it. Thanks again Jack.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: