Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weld through primer for bus tophat/cross member/outrigger
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Weld through primer for bus tophat/cross member/outrigger Reply with quote

I searched around and found locally I have this available:

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Cold-Galvanize-Coating-93-Zinc-Rich-7006.html

Has anyone used this product before?

How is the adhesion to other paint? Assuming I want to paint the exterior facing sections of the I beams and crossmember sections.

I am going to be replacing all the crossmembers, I sections, top hats, outriggers and jack points in my bus and would want to ensure that rust doesn't come back and eat them up again.

I understand that once welding and final painting is done, I should pump some good quality cavity wax into the crossmember sections.
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good at what it says, but it suffers from two problems:
1) It's porous, so water will go right through it.
2) It's adhesion is very low, so bits of it will dust off, like chalk.

So, yes, put some on for any seam that might be "pinched" or hidden when welding. But it needs to be completely sanded and painted once welding is done to remove the loose stuff and seal it against the elements.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't use weldable primer in a blind spot,it would then serve no purpose. What would be the point? Shocked
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
If you can't use weldable primer in a blind spot,it would then serve no purpose. What would be the point? Shocked

It's good when you have a lap joint you need to weld through with a spot weld or weld around with a plug or seam weld that would normally burn off regular paint, plus the primer doesn't boil out and prevent a good weld like regular primer would. It also prevents rust from spreading so quickly if the paint does get scratched through. It keeps the rust from creeping under the paint so quickly.

Just don't fill a rocker panel with just weldable primer and expect it to stay rust-free.

If I sand and clean sheet metal, then spray it with just weld-through primer, I expect it to start rusting through the primer after about 3 months of exposure to the elements. Better than nothing, but not really a sealant.

Remember, it's called weld-through "primer" for a reason. It's not paint.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a butt weld believer so I always use lap joints (panel flanger) to hold panels on. Until lately , I have not heard of weldable zinc primer so if I could not get behind a panel to seal it afterwards I would use high temp paint on it. It works to some degree. I'll do some test on similar products to see if they work before trying it on a project.

Thanks for the info! Very Happy
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is I can't find a 'weld thru primer' in Malaysia, and this product sells per carton here so 'testing' isn't exactly economical.

I'd try to source further and see if I can find a suitable weld through primer.
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
Problem is I can't find a 'weld thru primer' in Malaysia, and this product sells per carton here so 'testing' isn't exactly economical.

I'd try to source further and see if I can find a suitable weld through primer.

If you can't find zinc primer, it's nearly as good to do a wash with dilute phosphoric acid to convert the flash rust near the welds, let dry completely and just prime.

Everyone should also realize that welding the zinc primer also releases gasses that aren't friendly to your lungs, so be sure to get plenty of ventilation when doing a lot of welding with it. It was really designed for spot welding, most MIG welding needs a cleaner surface to get a good weld.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, I am still unable to get weld thru primer.

We use mostly gas welding, and I got a water based rust converter that is direct to metal and ready for primer or other coating(cavity wax).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: