Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

volksrods newbie need help =(
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thang408
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: volksrods newbie need help =( Reply with quote

Hello guys, I'm thinking about volksroding my 74 vw bug, but dont know where to start off, is there anybody know a link or videos thats show how to do it step by step? please let me know Thanks.
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large amounts of info here at http://volksrods.com/. Search and read up on everything you wanted to know about volksrods. Have fun and build what you want.
Tim
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three most important steps to building a modified car. Plan, plan , plan

Before you do ANYTHING, figure out what your end result is to be. Look at as many cars as you can - photos and in person. Very likely you will find a car that is really close to what you want to build. Then research the build as much as you can. Find the car owner if possible and ask questions. Pretty much everyone that has built a car has things they would have done differently - so take notes.

Once you have done this - nail it down and stick with the plan. This is where lots of folks mess up. After they start, they listen to too many people and the vision gets screwed up. That doesnt mean that you can't get/find better ways to do various details, but the overall look has to remain the same. Post sketches or pics on the shop wall. Take your time at this stage - work out as much as you can because you need to be thinking a bunch of steps ahead.

You also need to really be concerned with servicability of the car. Like doing body work that later prevents you from removing the engine. Shocked In fact, you can design things that make your life easier. The woodie and the bug hearse project have been designed to make engine removal/installation easier for example.

And make sure you are not biting off more than you can chew. That doesnt mean just make the project super easy. Every project I do pushes my skills further and further, which is one of the reasons I build what I build. Some minor details that I use are a real pain in the ass to pull off, but I learn a lot in the process. On the other hand, some folks like to do a quick and easy - nothing wrong with that. Many times a very simple design works great.

So - back to the original comment - plan, plan, plan.. And have fun! Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO... There is no step by step.. to building a true Volksrod..

It comes from deep within its creator... to create what he or she invisions..

as mentioned.... www.volksrods.com is common web resource.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
IMO... There is no step by step.. to building a true Volksrod..

It comes from deep within its creator... to create what he or she invisions..

as mentioned.... www.volksrods.com is common web resource.

How funny. I made a quip comment about part of the site going to paid members only and I got a nasty personal email, plus my IP adderss blocked. I have more than 1 IP address so I just laughed. (I'm emailing here from the blocked IP, pfff.) The site owner is a d### and my best ideas came from here anyway.

Thanks for the memories, nothing seemed too new after this visit. There is a lot more brains here.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

How funny. I made a quip comment about part of the site going to paid members only and I got a nasty personal email....

Not intending to defend anything or anyone in particular..
but... ... It IS their site.... so fair to say... its their rules..
It is a good resource for the VR style and basic accepted "look" and most of the stuff needed is accessible.

VolksrodsUK is another...and certainly not all.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: