Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WoodStock
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes asked where I was;

16yrs old in a suburb of St.Louis Mo. off the rock road.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way, when somewhere in Missouri, the Bastard 40 horse in that Sealing Wax Red and Chestnut Brown 23 Window had the audacity to snap a crankshaft in two. Never made it.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 months prior I rode home as a newborn on my Moms lap in my Dads Fiat 1100 D
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in a riot against the undercover cops at a Neil Young concert at the Contra Costa Fairgrounds earlier that year. Neil never even got to play before the cops closed it down! We didn't even want to go to Woodstock or the free Rolling Stones concert at Altamont later that year. Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my first year of college two months previous at one of the California State Universities where the nine month tuition was approximately $130. My roommate had a new VW Beetle but I didn't care much for a car that small since it didn't have much trunk space for moving possessions between home and the dorm and back home again. Hippie be-in's, music festivals, getting high, and war protests were something I only read about. My affection for the music of most of the acts at Woodstock was great then and has increased since 1969. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock#Performing_artists
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicterri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 9 years old, living in Southern California-about 20 miles from where I sit right now.
I just heard about another "Woodstock" while I was camping in my bus last weekend. I was next to a German father and son who rented a small RV so the son could go to a guitar workshop in Cambria. He told us about the Polish Woodstock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przystanek_Woodstock . The son had on a 20th Polish Woodstock t-shirt. You meet the best people in a bus!
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was -6. I grew up believing that Woodstock happened in Woodstock, IL.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
westy@7000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I was -6. I grew up believing that Woodstock happened in Woodstock, IL.

I wan't yet born when Woodstock took place, but I did however grow up in Woodstock, IL.
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nine. My oldest brother got offered a free ticket and a ride, but turned it down, thinking it wouldn't be much of a show. He regretted that as long as he lived. He got the soundtrack later on, and I listened to it a lot. I have my own copy on CD now, and I still love those bands and singers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forty five years ago, through out 1969, I was serving with the KNIGHTRIDERS of attack squadron fifty-two aboard USS Coral Sea on Yankee station off north Vietnam. Lost a number of good men in combat on that deployment including our squadron executive officer and my division officer on a night mission over a place called Vinn, where they were hit by a missile. Their names are on "the wall" which I look for when I'm there. I'm a thirty year retired Navy man.
1957 - 1987. So When someone asks about 1969, that's my life memory and experience. I always have to sit back ande think where was I when some event occurred while I was away someplace.

Inm late summer of 1969 an event occurred which I always remember. At sea aboard Coral Sea we had just finished a 12 hour flight cycle and with flight quarters secured we were preparing to settle down for a period of rest and maintenance. Suddenly flight quarters was called away again and as we went back to our stations, the word was passed on the ships 1MC system. Ashore in the jungle, a Marine recon patrol had run into a much larger force of north Vietnamese regulars. Perhaps a battalion. The Marines were a force of 29 men. With all their officers killed or wounded A Gunny sergeant was in command. With the real possibility of being wiped, out senior commanders had called "Broken Arrow". Which meant that all available assets were directed to their aid. Coral Sea and her air wing got the call and so for the next 72 hours, we provided 24/7 air support to the surrounded and cut off Marines.
Don't know how many here served in the military or worked a navy carrier flight deck. At best its chaos in motion. We launched aircraft every three hours or so to maintain a "cap" over those Marines. As a bomber squadron the KNIGHTRIDERS A-6 Intruders carried the load. Launching with as many as 24 250 lb bombs or a somewhat smaller amount of five hundred pounders. Unlike our brothers in arms in the Air Force with their fancy bomb carts on shore bases, in the tight confines of a navy flight deck our ordinance was all loaded by hand. Using steel bars threaded to fit the fuse ports of the weapons. known as "hernia bars", loading crews of four to six men manually picked up five hundred pound weapons with them from their trailers and slammed them up into the hooks on the bomb racks. And they did this continually for the 72 needed to support the marines ashore. For three days, men in red shirts loaded ordinance, men in purple jerseys pumps thousands of gallons of jet fuel, men in green jerseys maintained engines, avionics, and flight control systems. We ate box lunchs and cold sandwichs with no time to go below for chow. Sleep was a series of "combat naps" taken on the wing of an available aircraft. Temperatures were in the high humid, ninetys. With no time for showers, some of us got pretty funky. We had to keep the planes in the air. All this activity was often simultaneous with the launching and recovery of aircraft, which required dodging jet exhaust and jet intakes as you moved about the deck. Without time to make proper repairs, sometimes you innovate. An aircraft I was responsible for had a panel with a number of broken fastners. With no time to properly repair it. I taped it shut with green ordinance tape. What some may have heard refered to as 100 mile per hour tape. I followed that aircraft and that panel for three days. In inspecting, taping, and re-taping as required.
We received daily up dates on the Marines status. The entire ship and air wing heaved a collective breath of relief upon hearing a rescue column had finaly relieved the Marine patrol. It was a very proud moment for us all. Two days later we detached and headed for Cubi point, in the Phillipines.
To be honest it wasn't 'till some three years later back on shore duty that I first became aware of Woodstock.
Usually when I'm asked about that time rather then Woodstock. I think about that Marine "Gunney". I hope he got out okay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: