Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operation X Volksrod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
I drove a buddies 72 vette big block, header side pipes, you could only drive it with the windows down, the exhaust was terrible & that was outside the car.

Same thing .... except with Operation X.. windows up or down.. still smell the fossil fuels roasting..
Now with it a bit on the rich side... even more... Twisted Evil
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Capella Chop Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Regarding the post below by VOLKSWAGNUT, I'm trying to find the quoted magazine article for my mom. You see, it was Ed Cappella (note: two p's in the name, oft misspelled with one), my mom's husband (Ed is the guy in the white teeshirt), for which the eponymous Cappella Chop has apparently been named. I had no idea this name existed (I'm sure my sister will be thrilled to learn about it), and I've been looking for the original VW-related back issue of the magazine.

We had one or two more bugs in various magazines, and I've since procured and scanned one of them:

http://funnybug.canney.net/magazines/VolkswagenGreats/covers/1972q4VolkswagenGreats.jpg

That's my mom Sue, lower corner, and the bug is one of Ed's creations.

Another one I recall might have had the article name, something like Billboard, and the bug's rear side windows had the name Universal (Body Shop). There was a four-letter word beginning with F semi-disguised in the roof paint.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
I was reading back through and noticed a big jump in pics of the chop, It was stock then it was chopped and welded up. I.

Dan... you are 100% correct. There is a big gap in pics... Sad to say... when I get to working... the Camera is the furthest thing from my mind. I have the tendency to be so focused and consumed by the current task at hand... well you get the idea.

The pics here are just about all I have.
I really studied many different ways to cut an egg.. (chop a Bug)
My style that I wanted from day 1 was slanted B pillar, for a few reasons. Anytime my Pop pointed out cars chopped or not he always point out the slanted B pillar for that illusion of aero and speed. The 40-50's look.. So I took note...Another reason, it uses one roof so that means I didnt have to do much to the roof, and it didnt force me to cut in a sunroof as many do to simplify.
Ive seen some bad and good chops using 2 roofs. I wanted to keep this as simple as possible.

I will say this... it was a choice I made... Chop what I got.. Or go Carson top... It was a tough decision, and it was based on whether or not I could pull off the egg...
IMO A good kustom conduit and chicken wire Carson top... all covered, can look AWESOME... Still thinking about that idea for my crusty 67 Vert... Wink Chopped top Vert..Volksrod.. Carson top style...

You need to decide WAY up front which look and style of chop you want..
The 2 combined roof chop is just about limitless on how small you want the windows. If you are after the mail slot look... then I feel its going to have to be 2 roofs.
The Slanted B's with 1 roof.. can not support more then about 4 inches of chop. I got just about 3.5 out of the front 2.5 out of the rear on mine. I had it hacked down lower, but I found out the gutter alignment down the A pillar was to be an issue I didnt really want to deal with in my time frame.

Capellas final look appears chopped way more.. SIMPLY because he started with an OVAL which already has smaller windows. Those have a 1-2 inch advantage with the thicker pillars then the post 1964's right out of the gate. More sheet metal around the windows. You have to keep in mind every time the windows were enlaged over the years... the bodies of the cars virtually remained the same size ..even as the windows grew.

I wish I would have had an OVAL or at least a 58-64 body to start it off.. The windows would have been more like Capellas.
***So there is more good advice...

I also think when a Beetle is chopped way down.. using the 2 roof approach, no doubt its kool and Kustom, but it can sometimes look out of proportion... Some can make it look perfect...

Ill give a brief rundown on each pillar from my persepective. Keep in mind I AM NOT AN EXPERT BODY TECH, and in reality it does show in some spots that pictures wont show.. Its not gonna keep me from driving it.

I followed the Capella style of Chop found in an old magazine article, on the former RuntRod site. Capella used 1 roof, slanted the B's, removed the gutter on an Oval. Full fendered. He also used lid stand offs... and NOW I KNOW WHY..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The #1 thing I hate about this chop.. It changed the decklid postioning in relationshiop the the body. As the roof rolls forward, so does the decklid hinging area, but the body stays the VW way... If the fenders stayed, the lid angle in relation to the body changes. It will create more iisues, but works well on a Volksrod style.
It caused more issues due to my choice in engine as well, because it moves the decklid forward the amount the roof is moved forward.
You'll notice in my pics the rear engine quarter metal keeps shrinking and shrinking. Until... hack.....

Its why the chop style choice needs to be top priority.
The Capella is limited.

The roof is narrower then the body.. so no matter what you do the pillars the roof will have to be widend and the body narrowed. Its why Capella eliminated the gutter line. I can respect the idea now. As for me.. I wanted the old gutter look, but the A pillar transistion did get nerve racking.

The A's.. were a series of several relief cuts that in the end looked liked caterpillars with the cuts and welds. I also found out real quick, the non rusted A pillars were different gauges, and varied greatly within a few inches up and down left and right and even from left side to right side. The Left pillar was way thiner in general then the right. Im sure this can vary car to car year to year. I limited it on how much I could match the original A pillar angles without it looking goofy..plus keeping the gutters. Eliminating the gutters would have solved many issues....but...I was adament on keeping them. I had to keep the winshield in my mind the entire time. So keeping the area where a simple cut down VW glass would work. Thankfully it was damn near perfect.

The B's actually pretty straight forwrd and IMO were simple. Series of cuts, and bends to match going slow. Same process on the doors, basically cuttin the upper frame and reworking to match the car. The extra issues were custom window tracks, regulators, and glass. Most of which could be avoided by not slanting the pillar. SO keep that in mind

The C's The Capella chop basically suggest the roof is cut at an angle from the quarter window to the bottom of the gutter and across the firewall. The roof is lowered into the body cavity opening, fit, weld, and fill. Deal with the firewall being shorter. I found out it was a little more invovled, because no matter what the roof is still narrower then the body. I had to either narrow the firewall, or eliminate it. It was a little crunchy anyway.... so hack...
It was then a series of cuts, welds bends to make it all align as best as possible..

Hope that helps..
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic hi-jack....

And story too!

Hopefully somebody will see it way over here... Laughing

The one in your link above isn't chopped.. which is what my reference to Cappella style was all about.. His particular chop style

I originally found an article about the Cappella chop from a magazine on the old site called RuntRods.com...
Sadly much of that information is gone as well as the site.

Maybe join volksrods.com and hi-jack.. I mean ask there too!

Think User Nick on volksrods.com was part of RuntRods.. so maybe he has the atricle?
I had it printed out... but have no idea where its at now..

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13938
and
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17912

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and sorry about the thread-jack.

I realize the additional pic link I posted wasn't chopped, but it was all I had (I've been searching on and off for the past couple of years). I signed up earlier for volksrods and am awaiting their moderation approval.

I may have found what I'm looking for re: the original Cappella Chop:

http://www.hotvws.com/images/store/hvw-001-2-1973_1200px.jpg

I found via the Internet Wayback Machine these pages:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081121032844/http://www.runtrod.com/articles-chop3.html

and I've ordered a back issue of the magazine to verify.

Now if I can only find the Billboard article and pics. If I recall correctly, it was a repaint of the Chop above, as my mom never wanted the orange color. The pearlescent white custom paint with 70's swirly pin stripping was amazing.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries.. the way back machine site has the article I referred to..
Good information.
That's cool... I'm printing it again..

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main jet change... I know its piddly shit..but...

From 61's to 58's....
Testing pending...... um.... a drop in blood alcohol content. Wink Laughing

Just relaxing a bit...and tinkering.

Maybe roll it out this week... but I've been driving our Dune Buggy here lately..

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolled X up to an all VW event Saturday.. just to hit the swap meet area.
Picked up a few items.. some to sell.. some to keep...
Tried real hard to deal on a few other items bundled ... but the seller and I ..held our ground over 10 bucks difference... Laughing
So no deal.
He wouldnt even flip for it.. I even tried a my bald headed Richard Rawlings impression.. which made everyone crack up.. That was worth it by itself.

Oh...The slightly smaller jets hit the spot.. Wink
Still a lil' rich....but that means its safe..

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, A friend was showing me some pics he took at a show Saturday. I told him that it was yours. LOL He really liked it and made hime and his dad to build another volksrod. It was Purec4 and Fullmetaljackalope from the volksrod fourm.
Tim
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool small world. Nice to be distincly noticed .. Cool

Next time... tell them to say hello.. If they can find me..
I usually wear a T shirt with my logo/avatar on it, but I was wearing a Rat Fink shirt Saturday... Laughing
I do have one thats shit brown that reads Operation X in gray/black too.. Wink

I like kustom stuff.. go figure..

I literally pulled in, parked, tossed some wheels out I was attempting to sell, put my number on the sign.. and went to walk the same swap meet 10 times. Confused .
Came back... choked down 2 hot dogs and a Pepsi..
Loaded the wheels.. walked 10 paces to buy 2 cool etched Beer glasses..

The annoucement of the "VW RADIO SOUND OFF"....

I jet'd as fast as I could after I heard that..

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
rgdedge wrote:
Embarassed

...... after all ... Your car was an early inspiration for me to build my Operation X

Mr October....

Usually and often edited
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That is a funny looking little car. Must be a supper bettle. Got a porch motor in it?????????????????????????????????? Embarassed See ya Saturday.
Tim
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a super beetle. I could sit on the porch & look at it all day. Laughing
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And them there blue "Porch" wheels....
(in THAT picture) Wink

By the way rgdedge..... do you have a "name" for your Volksrod?
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

It's got to have a themed name..... Thats part of true Hot Rod and Kustom tradition...

Just sayin'

Usually and often edited
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
And them there blue "Porch" wheels....
(in THAT picture) Wink

By the way rgdedge..... do you have a "name" for your Volksrod?
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

It's got to have a themed name..... Thats part of true Hot Rod and Kustom tradition...

Just sayin'

My wife calls her Bettie, after Bettie Page.

mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Mr. October photo....looks awesome...that stance is dead on in my book...

MikeC
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Love that Mr. October photo....looks awesome...that stance is dead on in my book...

MikeC

Thanks. We drove it from Knoxville Tn to Daytona Beach for the Turkey rod run 3 years ago. 1569 miles round trip, the pics I took on the beach was worth the trip.
Tim
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
Back from a fast paced 24 hr trip to Circle Yer Wagens 40 In Sevierville Tennessee.

In all my years of fooling around with these little tin beaters I had never made the effort to go.. Embarassed..
We have an event a little closer to home in Farmington NC... so if I need a VW show "fix" will drive to it..

My Pop seemed interested to go too... and rgdedge (Tim) invited me up and incited me with a saved spot.. Wink AND... it was "our" year in the Volksrods calendar.. sooooo it seemed like it was the right time.. to blow off a days work and go..

My Pop... sorta..kinda... insisted.. that 7+ hours of flat 6 tin can screamin' and snorting' in his ears was OUT... so...sad to report...... the choice was made to trailer Op X up and back.. Confused

In the end..Pop was right again... as it got quite chilly from Friday to Saturday... and the drive home would have been pretty cold with not heat and a hurricane blowing through the dash.. floor.. doors....back seat Laughing

Something Im gonna work on.. heat.. and.. dampening..

Any way.. Here are some quick shots..

First Trailer ride.... headed West by way of South..

Parked next to one of my early volksrod inspirations.. Wink

Left "Operation X" with rgdedge, Right "Bettie" with me...
Sorta opposite of the norm cars.. opposite of the norm vw guys... Figured why not opposite of the norm pic.. Laughing

Loaded up headed back east bound and down.

I really wanted to stay the extra night... but my Pop was ready to go.. and my son was to come home from college for his fall break....

rddedge... hopefully...next time.. we can get those "drivin' " pics and get away for some cruisin' Wink
Usually and often edited
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time talking with you you volkswagenut. Love Operation X. Next time there will be crusin involved.
Tim
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgdedge wrote:
Had a great time talking with you you volkswagnut. Love Operation X. Next time there will be crusin involved.
Tim

Backatcha... Applause
"Bettie" is a real looker too IMO.. but... Of course you know that already.. Wink
Your shifter knob kicks ass...

Nice to finally see her in person... Applause
Like I mentioned... nice to put the people, the personalities, names and cars..

Hope I didnt blow too much smoke at ya while rollin' out Laughing Embarassed
Twas tach'd up a bit.... Twisted Evil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.. after my trip... decided time for a lil' change..

I had recently pulled the steering wheel off my Dune Buggy... so had it.. and was contemplating using it on Operation X... Think but it was just a little too off the shelf for me..

Sooo...... something a lil' different.... thus keeping the 51 Merc horn button bullet fully in play..
Wink

Usually and often edited
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta clear it out some times. Wink

Wheel looks good. Always doing little thing to change mine up.
Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 44

Jump to: