Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doomed Porsche 356 B drums?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

I got an offer to buy those B-drums. Are they even possible to save? They look to corroded to me. What do you guys think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really hard to tell from the pics if they are salvagable or not. Maybe he'll let you take them & clean them up before you hand over the cash or at least have someone look at them in person? I guess it depends on the price wether you take a chance or not.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially the first drum looks really bad as the surface were the rim should rest is so corroded that it is not even flat anymore but I dont know. I never dealt with Porsche brakes before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Nize:

The issues you should be worried about are the splines and the condition and thickness of the steel liners. The spiffiest drums in the world are worthless without good splines and liners. And judging by the poor fotos, it seems what you see is evidence of serious corrosion of the steel parts (splines), so that I, for one, would expect the worst of the steel liners.

Unless the seller provides clear close-ups of the splines and good shots (and actual measurements) of the liners, I figure its a safe bet you'll regret the purchase.

Just one guy's opinion.

S.J.Szabo
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got two more pictures...

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Szabo is correct in saying look carefully at the splines. Those last 2 photo's seem to show them in poor condition. Looks like they have been rattling around a bit to me. The inside of the drum as expected looks better than the outside and the liners although rusty might be okay. Again if the splines are defective then the roundness value of the liner might also be all over the place.

I would look for others, I think.

Roy
bbspdstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good used A or B brake drums, in all areas excepting, or so I've heard, Cali, are hard to find.
It's a nasty process called "bi-metal corrosion" meaning that cast iron and (forged) aluminum don't stay friends forever. That creates some swelling between drum and lining and the dreaded "hot spots" that won't ever go away.
The only solution is to rebuild those core drums that are worth doing by one of the few-and-far-between persons who can handle that task of doing whatever it takes to make them safe and strong...and worth doing at all
(Call Brad Ripley in Reno...Stoddard NLA LLC.... for his advice.)
Those shown are hardly good cores for resplining and relining with those wheel-mounting surfaces being that corroded. A machinist could turn that down and create a plate as a substitute, but the price better be REALLY cheap with all the work anticipated from even those fuzzy pictures.

Brakes: "If ya can't stop, ya shouldn't go!"
Thin Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Drum Puller Reply with quote

Help, Does anyone know where to purchase a drum puller that will remove a 356B stuck rear drum?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of them for sale on Ebay. I just searched for 'drum puller" and this came up (along with about 60 other listings):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Craftsman-Brake...mp;vxp=mtr

I have one similar to the one above and it works great. There are a lot of them listed so all you have to do is decide on quality and what you are willing to pay.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Puller Reply with quote

Roger H wrote:
Help, Does anyone know where to purchase a drum puller that will remove a 356B stuck rear drum?

Read through this thread. http://www.porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/35875.html

If you do get a puller you might need to make an adapter plate to fit the 5x205 (wide five) that is on the 356. Not a big deal but read the thread above first for some other hints.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time ilco made a bolt grip puller type of large scale drum puller. I own one,it works fantastic but is brutal. I use a chain wrench vice grip on it to dial it in for play I want to allow. More important,I think I have some extras of these drums,conditions are almost the same.Nize, if you think they might help you,you can have them. They do no good sitting around my place.
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first... check the splines... if they are worn... don't use the drums. IF they are ok... then proceed.

somewhere... I can't find it right now... is the correct minimum thickness for the liner on these things. measure that and if the liner is thick enough then step two would be to find that figure... and measure.

Next if they are useable... blast them with a "pressure washer" or scrub them with a really stiff brush and water until they are clean.

Next take them to the brake shop and have them put on the drum turning machine... to see how out of round they are...only do the absolute bare minimum to get them round and "faced".

then I'd either walnut shell or soda blast them. Don't glass bead or sandblast them... too much pitting will result. don't blast the "turned" surface.

after the blasting... get some 0000 steel wool and WD40... spray the exterior o the drum with WD40 and polish with the 0000 steel wool. this will get the drums looking pretty good. I'd spend an hour or two on each drum with this method until you are pretty sure you can't get any more out of it.

Stoddard sells the redone brake shoes and other bits You will need to turn in your core brake shoes. There are 4 different types of 356 brake shoe... so take a few photos of what yours look like... and make sure you get the exact replacements.
One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

280 mm normal diameter. 282 mm max usable diameter.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the hole thru the drum next to the liner can also be a giveaway...if the hole is a circle or more.....gone. If some of the circle is obscured, there's hope for the liner.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the original post is over two years old I guess he either bought them or didnt by now?
DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see how old this original post is, but if anyone else has questions regarding deteriorated/damaged brake drums, I would recommend contacting Martin Willis at http://www.mwthemachineshop.com in Colorado Springs. Check out his website. He is very helpful, knowledgeable, and easy to communicate with. I was very satisfied with the drum re-lining he did for me.

Dave
Skat02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

Even with the age of this thread, I gotta second the last comment regarding Martin Willis at the machine shop in Colorado Springs. Guy is kinda hard to deal with and you may find him on the pricey side but no doubt he can save old Porsche drums by installing quality brand new liners the way oem did them. He also has new lined shoes arched to perfectly match you fresh new lined drums.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

There is a guy in WI or IL that rebuilds these. I met him at Road America a few years ago and talked with him a bit. Convinced me he knows his stuff.
I’ll have to find his card, I know I have it and will post his info.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

Found the guys card: J&G Brake Drum Relining & Refurbishment
Jordon & Don
815-276-2578
212 N Green St
Mc Henry IL 60050
[email protected]
What caught my eye at his booth at Road America was a finned 356 brake drum on the table. Nice guy to meet & shoot the shit with.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Doomed Porsche 356 B drums? Reply with quote

i had Martin do the splines finish my liners and match my shoes to the liners. Very nice guy to talk to. i talked to him 3-4 times on the phone he fully explained what needed to be done.
Jay D.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: