Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fish Eye Eliminator?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Fish Eye Eliminator? Reply with quote

Gearing up for my first complete spray adventure...

Why/when would one buy fish-eye eliminator?
Seems that this would be something that they would just include in their product...
Confused

I have had massive fish-eye issues in the past, but never understood why or how.

Any wisdom is appreciated.
Thanks

What’s That Noise?!?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray acrylic lacquer BC/CC all in one day for professional results! Machine polish the Minor orange peel after 2 weeks. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced fish eyes from contamination of the surface being painted, and from oil or water in the air supply. Just a couple of causes to watch out for.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you saturate a cloth towel with grease and wax remove and wipe off with a microfiber towel while its still wet, you shouldn't have fish eyes. Also, when you tack rag, do not apply too much pressure.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with fisheyes before when I would paint using a small 15gal oil less compressor. Since it was running the entire time I was painting, it would have a lot of water in the tank/air line. The water shot out with the paint and caused the fisheye. Once I moved up to a 60 gal compressor with the exact same air line setup, the water was eliminated. I do get a lot less water in my oil water separator. I still use that small plastic bulb thingy that attaches to your gun to filter out whatever contaminant gets missed. Worked for me well ever since the huge compressor upgrade. Now my compressor only goes on twice when spraying epoxy on two front fenders on my fasty.

I make sure I have a clean surface.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a paint guy, but I just read that fisheyes can come from too small a compressor. The paint doesnt get atomized well enough. Seems to make sense to me
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish eyes are caused pre-existing oil, wax, or grease on the surface.

If the paint doesn't atomize, it'll run.

edit: oh, and I'm not a paint guy either. It's just the things you learn as a DIY'er.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question is why are there fisheye eliminator products in the first place? I've wonder the same thing - Is it just for lazy people, or paranoid people, or do they really improve the paint job, or are there painting conditions that require them?

I've never used them and have had no issues with fisheyes in my dusty greasy garage spraying single stage paints. I do all the best practices to prevent fisheyes (drain tanks/lines, use a large inline filter, wax/grease remover and tack cloth prior to sealer & single stage topcoat)

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having some issues on a project way back and I did buy some and used it effectively.

However I have found that if you use a good water filter at the gun (and change it if really humid or your compressor is running alot) and clean the surface really well beforehand then you can really eliminate them entirely.

You need to wear gloves while cleaning the car with wax/grease remover. The oils from your skin can cause problems. Lately I have been giving the car a final wipe down with denatured alcohol. I read it somewhere and since I have been doing that I have had zero problems. I still use the wax/grease remove but the final wipe down is alcohol.

And I am FAR from a pro...but have painted a few garage paint jobs.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish eyes are from contamination on the substrate that is being painted. Filters on spray guns, compressors, tools all help, but one must wash the surface before priming & painting. The painter is also partially to blame, having a cheeseburger & beer for lunch & not washing hands after will net the same result. I was told only the painter/prepper should touch the surface before painting. Glove up, wet rag one hand dry rag in the other. Change frequently. Fish eye eliminator (some of them) are nothing but pure silicone, just allows the paint to flow over the contaminates. Hope this helps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: