Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas burners - Repop offset
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Gas burners - Repop offset Reply with quote

A stupid teenager girl in a F350 rear ened into my Jetta TDI......So I have to use my 67 bug even more now. I am going to make it a safer daily driver on freeways, etc. I will install CB's disc brake kit with drop spindles and will run repop gas burners and real gas burners later down the road.

My question is: what is the off set on those repop gas burners? I recall Og ones have off set of 42mm? I am kind of new to those stuff - Is it "more tuck" or more "outside" compare to stock set up of 36mm??

I cant stomach the look of bugs lowered with stock rims/width beam. I dont want to achieve that look with 2 inch narrow beam from CB? Cuz the disc brakes will gain 3/8 inch on each sides?? I would like for the gas burners to be Slightly more tucked compare to where the stock wheels are on the stock set up - not too much (dont want trike style handling).

As for rear, I think I will be fine? Long axles seemed to works well with OG gas burners based on other comments. What about Repop?

Any info or pics will be appreciated. Educate me on lowering stuff, my first one. I am about to start ordering/buying stuff.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 67 has a wide 5 bolt pattern I think you're out of luck.
Repo gas burners are available in 4x130, 5x130 and 5x112.
5.5 x 15 repo GB has a 4 inch backspacing, which works out to an offset of 19 mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cb disc brakes kit comes in Porsche pattern which will work with gas burners.

As for rear, I will drill drum into that pattern.

19mm? 4 inch adapter? Am lost here? Can u explain more?

Thanks

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an explanation:
http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/Wheel-Anatomy-301-Offset-And-Backspacing.htm

Basically, a higher offset moves the wheel closer to the inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I get a better picture now. So what is the final off set for repop gas burners? 43mm just like OG ones or? compare to stock at 36mm (correct me if i got the number wrong).

If thats the case, gas burners - 43mm, stock - 36mm, that mean the gas burners will tuck more than stock correct?

Thanks again.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 43mm sticks out further than 36mm, but 7mm=1/4" is barely visible anyway.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! So with 3/8 inch gain on each sides due to disc brakes Plus around 7mm more from the wheels. With 2 inch narrow beam, the end result will still be slightly narrowed than the stock set up.....

I think that works! Hope I will be ok with 2inch beam.

Thanks guys!!

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 46mm ET is a flatter faced wheel, so the 36mm ET sticks out further now that I think about it further. Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
A 46mm ET is a flatter faced wheel, so the 36mm ET sticks out further now that I think about it further. Laughing

Ur giving me some head aches..... Laughing

If thats case, then 2 inch is plenty for me.

Thats if the repop wheels are at 43mm just like the originals, which havent been confirmed. Cip1 website said nothing about the offset.

Either way, I will begin my shop spree! Sorry - my lady, ur clothes gotta wait! Twisted Evil

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 34,41 & 46ET stock steel wheels on my squarebacks. They all fit fine, but the 34ET looked the best because they were more dished. When you have the new wheels,brakes,spindles then you can do your measuring to determine the beam,stance,tires etc. You should mock it all up with the stock beam.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to "Gasser" wheels in the EMPI catalog:

http://www.empius.com/vwcatalog/2013/194.html

Looks like the 5 x 130 should work quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlhsquared wrote:
Here's a link to "Gasser" wheels in the EMPI catalog:

http://www.empius.com/vwcatalog/2013/194.html

Looks like the 5 x 130 should work quite well.

Cool! So correct me if I misread, but seem those repop 5x130 has off set of 45mm. which is 2mm more "tuck" than originals correct?

I thought CIP1 is the only place where I could buy those wheels. Guess I am wrong? Are those empi wheels different from Cip1 or does they comes from the same manufacturer? If different, which one is better?

Mike - I am really trying to avoid the longer route, mock, etc. Especially when we could do the math route, offset, etc based on what we know and from others' experience. I get what you mean via dished look, but thats not what gas burners are supposed to be. More flat on outside is just what I wanted.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cip1's gas burners have a 4" backspace, which works out to roughly a 20mm offset. Since the Empi's have a 45 mm offset I don't think Cip1's burners are Empi.
The 45mm offset is the way to go, and since the wheel has a flat surface it won't matter, looks wise.
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Cip1's gas burners have a 4" backspace, which works out to roughly a 20mm offset. Since the Empi's have a 45 mm offset I don't think Cip1's burners are Empi.
The 45mm offset is the way to go, and since the wheel has a flat surface it won't matter, looks wise.

Good to know, definitely would want the 45mm offset instead of 20mm!

One more thing, how can i tell apart between EMPI and CIP1 wheels? There is a set of used repop wheels locally. That will save me some bucks but wanted to make sure they are EMPI? If am to measure the offset, where do i measure to confirm where they are from? If anyone has empi wheels on hand who can share the differences??

Thanks.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offset (example ET45) should be stamped on the back of the wheel.
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! thats what i need to know. So Cip1 wheels should show something else - like 20mm or 4inch back spacing.....

Many thanks.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sold under the Gasser name, which is EMPI's name for them. Here's one place that has them:

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/emp...ap-p-16984

Google EMPI Gasser 5 x 130 and you should find more. Anywhere that carries EMPI should be able to get them for you.

As for fit, I have a '67 Ghia, which is notorious for the difficulty fitting wheels on the back. I fitted a set of the 2-liter repops and have no issues. The Gassers in 5 x 130 have more offset and backspacing, so I don't think they will give you any problems. It would be nice, though, to hear from someone else that's running these on a long axle car.

The best way to measure the backspace on those used wheels is to take a straight edge (longer than the wheels is across) and a tape measure. Turn the wheel over and lay the straight edge across the width of the wheel as close to center line as possible. Now with the tape measure, measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the flat back of the bolt hole surface. This should be your backspacing. If it's about 5", you should be fine. Best of luck in your endeavors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bump an old topic, but this seemed like the best place vs. new topic.

I got a set of empi gasser gasburners cheap. And new drilled 4 lug drums. had the snout machined off fits well…..BUT with 195/65 they rub the spring plate, not locking uo the wheel but enough for damage.
So im debating long axle, instead of spacers, BUT is long axle too long?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used spacers & longer lug bolts on the rear of my square to get my 2.0 liter wheels dust caps to fit.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there was mike....

Yea ok.

My gasburner dilemma I had to solve myself.

Short axle drilled drum, rubs spring plate, short axle with wheel adapter, good. Empi gasser wheel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: