Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 Windshield source?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put less than 10K on it since I bought it in 2008, did the motor right away. Since I drive it so infrequently and such short distances any problems haven't been pressing issues, tho it is nice to have a car that works right... :/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
I've put less than 10K on it since I bought it in 2008, did the motor right away. Since I drive it so infrequently and such short distances any problems haven't been pressing issues, tho it is nice to have a car that works right... :/

Yes.....but thats kind of my point. If you have not done the suspension...its shot. Hou just havent driven it far enough to find out. There are several parts that had defects of matetials from the factory. Its typically those things that fool people into thinking these cars are simple to own. Nothing really broken....seems to drive fine....why do anything. No parts to collect. So they dont.
Its either the big parts like glass or fenders....or its the rare hole in the pavement that bends a control arm.....or a missing windshield....and no parts are handy.
I had to put mine in storage for 6 years because I had no place to work on it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to list it here, $1100 rock bottom, more than a parts car but parts cars don't have fresh motors, nor clean registrations! What ever comes first a buyer or glass. Anyone here's free to PM me for my number we can talk in detail. Sad
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this? You could part the rest.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667566
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:

Wow! Shocked And shipping from SF to SF should be no more than a tow ride! That's the kind of luck you need to grab. Cool
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that yellow 411 is sweet looking! And all it needs is a motor? I just had a local shop build me a 2.1 litre with hydraulic lifters and 40idf dual webers. It cost a few dollars but it was worth it. Now she runs as good as she looks. You could transplant the engine out of yours into this one.
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
19super73 wrote:

Wow! Shocked And shipping from SF to SF should be no more than a tow ride! That's the kind of luck you need to grab. Cool

Ah, it's in L.A., perhaps doable. Social Security is a lifestyle of a certain kind, I'll say.

If she gets back to me! Have left e-mail, pm, and voice, she hasn't yet stirred. She could buy mine too! I've seen that hooptie rolling around SF, it is indeed nice.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.....seriously.....hang on im looking for glass. Hide the car best you can so they dont ticket the beast. I have a lot of respect for how you are working this....and If you are on SS....I have even more respect for keeping what you can with what little you got. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
19super73 wrote:

Looks clean. I'd drop an engine in and go.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Hey.....seriously.....hang on im looking for glass. Hide the car best you can so they dont ticket the beast. I have a lot of respect for how you are working this... Ray

No tickets!! Unless I botch it on street cleaning day--have a disability placard, so I'm cool in lots of situations.

If that yellow 411 were still in town I'd be on it like white on rice, but L.A.'s. 400 miles from here, that's a huff. There's another one--a junker in Livermore, about 45 miles from here--$2000! He might come down some, hasn't been registered since '88 and has no pink, ha!! Maybe he meant $200.

Got a NOS gasket from ISPWest, came yesterday, great deal.

We shall see!! Thanks for the props, Ray, and thanks fellas, y'all are an inspiration!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
oasis wrote:
19super73 wrote:

So would I, except for the ensuing divorce it would cause. She tolerates the one "mistress" Clementine, but two would be one too many!
Wink
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know....I now have three, when all I ever needed/wanted was one. Things were at peace nonetheless, and then I dropped the latest bomb: one of them needed a new engine! And yet my marriage survived...thrived, even. Type Fours Forever baby!
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
19super73 wrote:
oasis wrote:
19super73 wrote:

So would I, except for the ensuing divorce it would cause. She tolerates the one "mistress" Clementine, but two would be one too many!
Wink

Do what I just did. Buy a Westy in case you need to find a new place to live! Very Happy
1973 Super Beetle
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Windshield source? Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
Okay gang, I'm in San Francisco, have Stacy at Performance Glass in Redwood City on the case but I'll put a call out here too. I may resign myself to buying a whole additional vehicle, if anyone knows a cheap and/or symapathetic spot I can tear down a parts car, should I find one, let me know. Any Burners on the forum??

Alrighty then, fire away!!

I have 9 squarebacks in my Boneyard & 5 storage cars @ $20/mo on my 5 acres with room for more! I could even tow your parts car here with my tow dolly for $1/mile. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the room for free that you need. Bring the car, take the glass and leave the car.
1973 Super Beetle
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the glass issue, I requested a quote from http://www.classic-autoglas.com for a 412 main windshield. It was 345 EUR including VAT. As of right now, that's $460US, not including shipping. Crying or Very sad
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Windshield source? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
bradself wrote:
Okay gang, I'm in San Francisco, have Stacy at Performance Glass in Redwood City on the case but I'll put a call out here too. I may resign myself to buying a whole additional vehicle, if anyone knows a cheap and/or symapathetic spot I can tear down a parts car, should I find one, let me know. Any Burners on the forum??

Alrighty then, fire away!!

I have 9 squarebacks in my Boneyard & 5 storage cars @ $20/mo on my 5 acres with room for more! I could even tow your parts car here with my tow dolly for $1/mile. Twisted Evil

Slow process, glass is the slowest part. One local driveway possibility, to work on a car, near a Rapid Transit stop, she's mulling it over. Samba sellers don't respond to email, pm's or vm, nutso, but okay, fine. One way way overpriced local parts car, complete with extortionist threats to crush it unless the full ransom is paid, sigh. Will hunt down a car sighted in Sonoma, need a free day. No fix-it tickets yet, thank providence!

Did find a 3spd transmission tho, mine's always been soggy and cantankerous, may not even be a T4, who knows. Bench rebuild on the spare in the works. Tuned the car on the street--this one's super sensitive to dwell, need to reseal the runners at the heads and pop in good injector seals, NAPA Erlich brand, couldn't find the green viton ones. Will drop a nice 205A dizzy in when I gather the gumption.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 003 automatic transmission in the Type 4 has lower gears for a heavier car than the 003 transmission in a Type 3. They can interchange though.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The 003 automatic transmission in the Type 4 has lower gears for a heavier car than the 003 transmission in a Type 3. They can interchange though.

Yeah but its not a big deal. Most have 3.91:1 after about mid 73 and always on the wagon. They just went to one final drive for the last 1.5 years. I think the four doors were the same final drive ratio as type 3.

By the way ....im in Oklahoma City this week. I know where a few rough type 4 are stashed. If they still have glass and I can get access without getting shot....ill see what I can get.
Ray
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

By the way ....im in Oklahoma City this week. I know where a few rough type 4 are stashed. If they still have glass and I can get access without getting shot....ill see what I can get.
Ray

Roger that!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: