Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1985 VW Golf dies going down the road... Need help
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golf85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: My 1985 VW Golf dies going down the road... Need help Reply with quote

Hello All,

My 1985 VW Golf dies going down the road. I lose all electrical power except for my parking lights. Everything else goes out. The 4-way flashers don't work either. Then it comes back in 5 seconds to 30 minutes. But it happens more often. The last time i was stuck on the side of the road for 30 minutes.

I glanced at the book and it looks like everything goes through the ignition switch except the parking lights. I wonder if that could be the problem. Sometimes I pull at some wires behind the relay panel and the power comes on. But I have not been able to identify any particular wire. I wonder if I can bypass the ignition switch to see if that is the problem?

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could plug in a new one outside of the column to see if that is indeed the issue. They aren't very costly. If it is that, then you just have to get it installed.
Golf85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Or you could plug in a new one outside of the column to see if that is indeed the issue. They aren't very costly. If it is that, then you just have to get it installed.

Thanks... That's a good idea... I wonder how hard that would be. I don't even know where it gets plugged in. I will look around for it. I was even thinking of just hot wiring the car. I don't really need lock. I never even take my key out of the ignition. I just lock my doors.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug for it is on the column at the base of the ign sw. You may need to remove a cover to access the plug, but that should be all. Changing the electrical part of the switch is a little more involved, as you need to remove the column and lock section to remove/instal the switch.
Golf85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
The plug for it is on the column at the base of the ign sw. You may need to remove a cover to access the plug, but that should be all. Changing the electrical part of the switch is a little more involved, as you need to remove the column and lock section to remove/instal the switch.

Well I pulled the whole dash apart today. Pulled the steering wheel cover. I can see the ignition switch and the electrical plug that plugs into it.

The problem I am having is, when I have it all apart, the dam thing won't fail. It runs fine. I turned the ignition switch on and off today about 200 times and the engine never failed. I yanked and pulled every wire I could get my hands on and I just could not get it to fail. But as soon as I put it all back together and back on the road the stinker will leave me stranded on the side of the road. I was wondering if a battery could be causing this type of problem? My battery has to be over 12 years old, but still has plenty of power to start the engine, even on the coldest days. I carry a volt meter with me now and the battery always has plenty of power.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't have another issue that makes you think it is a wiring issue?
Golf85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Are you sure you don't have another issue that makes you think it is a wiring issue?

What are you suggesting? What else can it be? I drive down the road and I lose all electrical power (except the parking lights) and the car dies. I even lose the digital clock and that is on all the time. The car won't start. The radio won't go on. My 4-way flashers won't turn on. Only the parking lights. I play with some wires behind the relay block and the electrical power comes back and the car starts right up. Like nothing has happened.

So I am open to any suggestions.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, if you have a 12yr old battery, man up and get a new one. Shorted cells can do weird things.
Golf85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
First, if you have a 12yr old battery, man up and get a new one. Shorted cells can do weird things.

i guess i got my money out of it.. but i always buy good batteries as they tend to last longer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: