Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After 20 years ... a Thing!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great - nice work!
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very nice, thanks for the pics!

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! The kid agrees and we are going to match the bumpers to the cage. We might just get carried away and coat the engine tin and back seat backs in the same hammered tone. Cool Back to work on it after our vacation on 8-11.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the vacation, I got the bumpers and seat backs from blasting and powder coat....turned out nice! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a close up of the powder coat:

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!! Looks great man!!

Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!! Very nice!

How was your V2R this year?

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkparker wrote:
I agree!! Very nice!

How was your V2R this year?

Thanks! I thought I was going to ride in a 10 car but I ended up helping out at the pit at Redlich (rm305). Good time with good friends! How about you?

Worked on the Thing on Sunday. Due to the limited space between the front of the cage and the body, we fabbed up some windshield brackets to replace the lower latches. My son and I tackled the windshield install using baby powder to slide it right in. Wink I forgot however to install the new TTS lower frame seal that is in the mail, so it looks like we will have to pull the lower section of the frame to install the seal. Embarassed

The only trouble we are having is figuring out the hood latch. We bought a new cable, tubing and the lower receiver from TTS (they were all missing on the car). The latch on the hood itself is original. When we pull the cable at the glove box, the hood doesn't pop. If we use two people (one on the cable and one at the hood to pull) it pops but we can't get it open. I messed with the spring on the hood latch and the latch position but it doesn't seem to want to get better. A little more trial and error should do the trick. Confused
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lower windshield seal slides in, no need to take the lower part off. Fold down the windshield and slide the seal in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood latch, I use a flashlight as I am lowering the hood down and adjust the upper latch so that the spring loaded part is centered the lower latch before pushing all the way down. To get the hood to pop up you may need to adjust down the rubber stops on both sides. If the hood won't latch adjust the spring assy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Ron!!!! Cool

I may run into trouble then with the hood. The PO drilled holes on each side of the hood where the rubber stops are mounted to use posts and pins to secure the hood. Rolling Eyes I welded and cleaned up the exterior holes but didn't touch the underside. The underside of the hood might be too jacked up to put the stops in. Crying or Very sad I guess I'll put in my weekly order to TTS and add in a pair of these: http://www.thethingshop.com/RUBBER-BUFFER-FRONT-HOOD/productinfo/311823499A/
Hopefully a little Macgyvering with the underside sheet metal and we can get those mounted. Wink
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I was going to ride in a 10 car but I ended up helping out at the pit at Redlich (rm305). Good time with good friends! How about you?

We finished our first V2R, it took three tries but we did it! I think 13th unofficially out of 39 Class 10 cars. The engine developed a miss between Pit 9 and 10 while I was driving. Our guys in pit 10 didn't have much Ecotec experience so we limped it all the way to 11, replaced an injector and headed to Dayton.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkparker wrote:

We finished our first V2R, it took three tries but we did it! I think 13th unofficially out of 39 Class 10 cars. The engine developed a miss between Pit 9 and 10 while I was driving. Our guys in pit 10 didn't have much Ecotec experience so we limped it all the way to 11, replaced an injector and headed to Dayton.

Congratulations! The silt this year was brutal. I was out of Redlich by 6:30 and don't remember seeing your car. The last car we pitted was the COPS C1 buggy. I know your pain. Those Ecotecs sometimes hate the heat & pump gas and go into limp mode at the worst times. Crying or Very sad

Looking at my hood latch issue again, I think the fix is fairly easy. The holes for the hood stops are fine. The PO cut out the raised sheet metal bumps in the nose. A little welding should do the trick. Wink

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you weld these remember the front wire harness is right there.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
If you weld these remember the front wire harness is right there.

Thanks for the tip. Very Happy

With so many orders to TTS, do they offer frequent flyer miles or some other incentives? Once a week like clock work, I'm ordering some little part that I need. Maybe with my other car, I'll just send them 4 or 5K as a retainer to have on hand. Laughing
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on the progress (or lack thereof) on the yellow car. Still can't figure out the hood latch. I adjusted it with every plausible length on the plunger, lined it up (using Ron's flashlight method), got the little bumps from TTS and it still wont pop. I tried inserting the plunger without the hood, and it pops out great. Confused The only thing I can figure is maybe the lack of a hood seal somehow affects it??? Maybe a shorter plunger and increase the length of the little bumps???

Still fiddling with the brakes. After sitting 27 years they needed a lot of work. Also finding a gremlin in the starter. Again, 27 years old it was being difficult. I hit it with a dead blow hammer and it came to life, only to quit later. More new parts to buy. Razz
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the hood latch off adjust the rubber bumpers so they keep a good gap all the way around the hood. Then put the latch back on and then adjust the plunger starting with it short then lengthen until it latches.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to take a spin in the 73 this weekend. Turned the key and nothing. Crying or Very sad I figured the battery was dead so I pull out my trusty jumper box...still nothing. Now on to the volt meter. Battery good, ground is good. Maybe its the switch. I pulled the lead to the back of the switch and found power. Pulled the steering wheel, pulled the turn signal and the cover to the ignition (finding lots of dirt and debris) and wala:

I'm surprised it even worked. I did a few searches here on the Samba and found a thread saying the 73 switch was different than the 74 and that the aftermarket Bug switch was too short. Now that it is Sunday and my local family owned VW shop is closed, I decided to try Autozone. Even though I was warned here on the Samba that all switches are not created equal, I tried the 73 Bug switch. It looked like it was the same size, however it had one extra terminal that the Thing switch was missing. I cleaned everything up, installed the switch and ...nothing. Crying or Very sad

So today I'm off to see if my local shop has one. If not, I have another order going into TTS.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local shop had the switch. I installed it late last night and still no luck. I guess I will be chasing the Current Flow diagrams (from the great technical section) to see if I can find the issue. Crying or Very sad
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got through all of my wiring issues. After dealing with the old harness, brittle and broken connectors and its numerous hacks, I picked up a new harness from Rebel Wire. Very simple install. It turns out my cracked ignition switch also fried the starter. Sad After that was replaced it was time for a winter drive. If you look closely, you can see the LED parking lamps are on. Smile
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!! Great to get it on the road, after All that work! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: