Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1981 Rabbit truck steering rack adjutment
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecopreneur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: 1981 Rabbit truck steering rack adjutment Reply with quote

I have an 1981 turbo diesel pickup I recently purchased with play in the steering wheel/rattling etc.

I have read the Bentley Manual about how to adjust steering (section 6.2, page 34). It mentions loosening the locknut to turn the adjusting screw. I was also given a paperback book with the car "How to Keep your Rabbit Alive" which mentions the locknut must be removed by a bent 17mm wrench.

I got the wrench, 17mm, and got under the car but found the adjusting screw locknut does not seem nearly that large (17mm). I can't see the area but felt the screw/locknut area.

Is the locknut missing on my car which may be causing this play in steering or is the 17mm size not applicable to a 1981? The Bentley does not give a size of the locknut or size of wrench required.

Thanks for any input.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a phone up there and take a picture and see. I've never had to make that adjustment on my car. Have you checked tie rods first? There is also the lower bearing in the steering column that tends to fall out and will add some play/slop to the wheel.
tawney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Rabbit truck steering rack adjutment Reply with quote

Just happened to have done this exact adjustment this weekend on my '81 Caddy. It is practically impossible to get a wrench in this miserable little space! I used a 17mm stubby open-end, and after a fair amount of cussing, got the locknut loose and turned the adjustment screw which was 7mm. Took the wheel off, slid the rack boot out of the way toward the wheel, managed to get one finger of both hands back in this space, got the wrench to stay on the nut, and stuck a long 5/8" steel rod down to the wrench through the top, and tapped it with a big hammer. After it was loose, I could turn it with 2 fingers, then turning the adjustment screw wasn't too bad. Not sure I got the lock nut back tight again, though. The whole process took me about an hour, but it made a wonderful difference in the steering!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: