Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck fan shroud side screws
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Stuck fan shroud side screws Reply with quote

I want to life the fan shroud on my '64 beetle so I can raise it enough to switch a 12 volt alternator for the old 6 volt and the side screws that hold the shroud down aren't budging a millimeter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get them off? Should I go after them with a metal chisel? Let me know!
Thanks!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm forgetting (it's been 15 years since I had a Bug), are the captive nuts they screw into in the big shroud, or in the cylinder covers on each side?

I ask because you have a good chance of shearing the heads off. The answer will determine how much in the way of further disassembly you will have to do to resolve it.

I'd use vice-grips on the screw head (love the name "cheese head screws," especially funny for Packer fans). But be careful twist in the right direction, with no "wobble" that can break the head off. Just a smooth circular motion in the plane of the cheese head. I've also tried vice grips on the shaft of a longer screwdriver first. Use the thickest screwdriver blade you can fit so it pushes on the whole of the slot, not just at two points.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have not already tried I find a socket wrench and bit driver works better on stubborn screws then a screw driver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be rusted in there or stripped out, either way it's extra work. Removing the engine for better access is probably the best way to approach them.

Any case, if they are slotted screws with the slots rounded out, try rapping on their heads to reform the slot and loosen them up a little, then use the right size screwdriver or socket driver.
What KTPhil mentioned, the nuts are captive in the Fan Housing so spray them down with rust resolver first may help too.

There are others ways too, like you don't really need to remove those screws or lift the fan housing to remove the Gen to install an Alt.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big vice grips- works on any thing you can clamp them to

would put 10mm headed bolts in their place

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longrifle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that a little direct heat from a small propane torch will help to expand the metal too, making it much easier to remove.

67’ sedan
66’ SO-42
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like penetrating oil- Aerokroil or at least PB blaster- before getting too medieval on it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use hex head screws with a screwdriver slot for those, sometimes can then access with 10mm wrench.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
big vice grips- works on any thing you can clamp them to

would put 10mm headed bolts in their place

Little vise grips usually work on these too. Just get the vise grips as tight as you can on the outside of the head and you should be able to turn it enough to get it loosened up.

Work it back and forth a little and it should come loose.

Phil, the captive nut is on the fan shroud itself.
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so being one who did snap 2 off, what is the best method of repair you guys have tried? drill, tap? I did soak for a week, with penetrant to no avail. Looking for best recovery solution when it comes to putting tin back on.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best easiest way is to weld a nut to each and cool with water quickly. the sudden expansion and contraction of the materials will crush the rust plating (that is causing it to be a press fit) in there into dust.

Otherwise it is center punch and start with 1/8" drill bit and work up only a size or two in the drill bits till the hole is centered and straight. Hopefully either the screw remains loosen up/turn out, or you get all but the threads removed and work those out with a scribe. If you end off center much you will have to use a hammer and punch (not easy on sheet metal) to crush the remains of the screw and get it out.

Use at least grease or better yet anti-seize on ALL threaded items to avoid this problem in the future.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty60 wrote:
ok, so being one who did snap 2 off, what is the best method of repair you guys have tried? drill, tap? I did soak for a week, with penetrant to no avail. Looking for best recovery solution when it comes to putting tin back on.

If the shroud is off the car, do you have enough of the screw sticking through the captive nut to get a grip on it? If so, you may be able to get a small pair of vise grips on it and now that the head is gone just screw it IN from the inside.

If there isn't enough left to get a grip on, then the weld or drill methods would be the next step. Welding is going to burn some paint off, and with the drilling method you need to make sure you get started in the CENTER of the screw.

When assembly time comes, I normally replace these with hex head screws. They are just a lot easier to deal with when things get uncooperative!
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the options, Will be tackling in near future once headliner and interior are complete. And yes anti seize is my friend! If only the PO used as much as I do!
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper sized screwdriver, a pair of vice grips, and WD-40 did the trick. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Stimson wrote:
The proper sized screwdriver, a pair of vice grips, and WD-40 did the trick. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Very Happy

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longrifle wrote:
Don't forget that a little direct heat from a small propane torch will help to expand the metal too, making it much easier to remove.

I've been taking VW engines apart for 40 years, struggled with penetrating oil, messed up screw driver grooves and vise grips until I invested in a good propane torch. Now every tinware screw comes out with a simple and damage free twist from a correctly sized screw driver and the blessed heat.

It really works
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: