Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front pulley tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Front pulley tin Reply with quote

Question - Does the front (big) pulley tin go between the engine seal..? Is it suppose to be a pain / headache to install that way...?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're describing the long tin piece that slips over the heater boxes holes, the rubber on my 67 and 69 is against that piece of tin. Basically, the lip of the rubber (on mine) comes up from where it's held in place in the channel and does a upside down U. The front of that tin then slips down against the rubber and the rubber presses against it forming a seal.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - VW designed it to be a pain in the ass. If you are using the stock seal that goes on top and below it, you just need to take you time and get it worked in the seal without scratching the hell out of your cylinder tins. If the car has been hit at all, it makes it even tougher.

2 things help. If you are concerned about scratching tin - put masking tape on it to protect it. The other is using plastic trim installation tool (or a piece of 3/8" plexiglass ground down on one end) to help work the seal around the tins.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be picky, but it's the REAR tin and there is no front pulley.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Not to be picky, but it's the REAR tin and there is no front pulley.

I know - but I get tired of saying "front is front"
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info....& yes I have scratched my cylinder tins !!
Ok....that seal is a two piece / split / or whatever you want to describe it, I thought the top of the seal goes over the tin & the other piece (sort to say) goes on the bottom...? I'll try it again.

And yes its a pain in the glutes!!!!!!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on tap wrote:
Thanks for all the info....& yes I have scratched my cylinder tins !!
Ok....that seal is a two piece / split / or whatever you want to describe it, I thought the top of the seal goes over the tin & the other piece (sort to say) goes on the bottom...? I'll try it again.

And yes its a pain in the glutes!!!!!!!

What year bug is this? Are you talking about the tin behind the engine towards the back seat?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63, no the tin right in front of the bottom pulley. The one right in the front of the motor
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on tap wrote:
63, no the tin right in front of the bottom pulley. The one right in the front of the motor

I'm trying to help make you understand...Front means towards the front of the car, right to the passenger's side (on U.S. destination left hand drive models)

It's really important that you try to use this terminology. It gets confusing because the engine is in the rear of the car and people tend to refer to what is actually the back of the engine as the front.

If you use the right terms, it will help you to get the right answers. Otherwise everyone is left guessing what you are talking about and you will be left guessing what the heck the answers mean.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on tap wrote:

Are you sure you have the right engine seal for it?

on tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
on tap wrote:

I'm trying to help make you understand...Front means towards the front of the car, right to the passenger's side (on U.S. destination left hand drive models)

It's really important that you try to use this terminology. It gets confusing because the engine is in the rear of the car and people tend to refer to what is actually the back of the engine as the front.

If you use the right terms, it will help you to get the right answers. Otherwise everyone is left guessing what you are talking about and you will be left guessing what the heck the answers mean.

You know what I mean, sorry some of us aren't so vw savy....., ( we also have other hobbies!) And if you don't know what I mean , when I say in front of the bottom pulley, then I quess I won't get an answer but strange how others were willing to help cuz they understood! Ur just one of those guys.......be cooooo, have a great rest of your day
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on tap wrote:

You know what I mean, sorry some of us aren't so vw savy....., ( we also have other hobbies!) And if you don't know what I mean , when I say in front of the bottom pulley, then I quess I won't get an answer but strange how others were willing to help cuz they understood! Ur just one of those guys.......be cooooo, have a great rest of your day

I didn't chime in and give advice to you on your tin and seal problems because you already had a couple very knowledgeable people helping you out on that. And what they were advising is the same thing I would have told you.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to get across to you with my comments. Learning and using the correct terminology is really in your best interest. And while I may have known what you mean, that isn't always the case when you have have a problem and ask for help in ways that people can't understand or is confusing.

In this case the VW engine has a LOT of tin work and several seals. There are front tins, and rear tins along with front seals, rear seals, top seals, bottom seals.

You don't want people telling you that you need to drop the engine to replace the front seals or tins if you were really referring to the rear tins and seal. That is going to be equally confusing to you and it isn't going to help you get your problem solved.

I wasn't trying to be an A-hole or a smart ass. Just trying to give you a little advice that will help you a bunch in the future. Remember the people trying to help you are not there hands on with your car and your problem. So we can only rely on the information you give us to try to help you out. The more accurate and detailed that information from you is, there more accurate and detailed help you get in return.
Stutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
on tap wrote:

I didn't chime in and give advice to you on your tin and seal problems because you already had a couple very knowledgeable people helping you out on that. And what they were advising is the same thing I would have told you.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to get across to you with my comments. Learning and using the correct terminology is really in your best interest. And while I may have known what you mean, that isn't always the case when you have have a problem and ask for help in ways that people can't understand or is confusing.

In this case the VW engine has a LOT of tin work and several seals. There are front tins, and rear tins along with front seals, rear seals, top seals, bottom seals.

You don't want people telling you that you need to drop the engine to replace the front seals or tins if you were really referring to the rear tins and seal. That is going to be equally confusing to you and it isn't going to help you get your problem solved.

I wasn't trying to be an A-hole or a smart ass. Just trying to give you a little advice that will help you a bunch in the future. Remember the people trying to help you are not there hands on with your car and your problem. So we can only rely on the information you give us to try to help you out. The more accurate and detailed that information from you is, there more accurate and detailed help you get in return.

Threadjack: and this response so eloquently sums up so much of what is wrong on so many forums today. Yes, unfortunately there are a few forum nazis that go out of their way to make every new guy feel as uncomfortable as they possibly can but, on the whole though, I think helpful advice is often misunderstood as a personal attack instead of being embraced as new info that is/could be useful in your life's further journey. Lighten up, listen up and learn. That's what brought evey one of us to The Samba in the first place. Highjack off.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Tap, DrScope is being very reasonable. If you'd started out with the proper description of the tin part in question "rear breastplate tin" all of this bantering could have been avoided
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: