Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 2.0 engine pulleys are mis-aligned
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: 914 2.0 engine pulleys are mis-aligned Reply with quote

Recently sealed the engine on my 74 914 2.0, re-assembled it and stuck it back in. Runs great, no leaks anymore. But.... she throws her belt. Took a look (with a camera) and the alternator pulley is ahead of the cooling pulley. No wonder she throws the belt. The alternator is as far back as she can go now and it's still out of alignment. It's like I missed something between the cooling pulley and the case. Anybody ever run into this?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator pulley is on backwards. On a type 4 engine, the notches in the pulley face away from the alternator. On type 1, the notches face the alternator. Cool
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
The alternator pulley is on backwards. On a type 4 engine, the notches in the pulley face away from the alternator. On type 1, the notches face the alternator. Cool

I agree to the above. The pulley can be twisted with the alternator still in the car but be careful with the Woodruff key.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Crucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Backwards pulley Reply with quote

Thanks, Jacks. That is exactly what the problem was. Turned it around and all is well now (and aligned too).
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Backwards pulley Reply with quote

Crucker wrote:
Thanks, Jacks. That is exactly what the problem was. Turned it around and all is well now (and aligned too).

I found something once that had the opposite result: This on a factory rebuilt by what was its name, GEX?, advertised all the time, shitty rebuild record.?
Whoever put the hub on the crank, lost the key, but it was still up in there laying flat by the crank. They put in another and cinched it down. But the 1st key kept the hub from fitting tight on the taper. Some thousands of miles later, the key wore out from moving, and the fan stopped cooling. I took it in as a core. The valve springs were black and the valves seized in the guides. Most of the exhaust valves were stuck open. I fitted a new key., (removed the problem, rebuilt the heads, put it in my 1980 Westy. It uses a bit of oil, I suppose the rings were hurt a little, but the cylinder walls looked good. The motor works quite well for having been roasted.
I really doubt ANY engine builder but a production line worker would have left the extra key in the engine, but when the hub fell off, I could see it in there. So this is one POSSIBLE cause of the fan pulley being too far out from the case (rearward in a Vanagon, forward in a 914)
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: