Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Carburator Should I Use
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: What Carburator Should I Use Reply with quote

I have a '65 bug. Engine was replced after stolen in 1985. It was replaced with a 1600 and small mod of 88mm pistons and small cam (110?). The carbuerator that is on it is a 30 PICT-1 single port. Been giving us trouble and our mechanic says should be replaced. We converted the electrical system to 12v and now I am wondering what to replace it with. I can find the same one I think with a 12v electrical choke, but since we would be replacing it with a new one, is this the time to upgrade to a different carbuerator with out doing engine mods? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30PICT-1 was the last truly simple carburetor that DVG made for VW. It's my favorite DVG/SOLEX carburetor... if you have the version that has the power fuel system. If you have a 1966, 1300 version (or a non-USA 1967 1300 version) that lacks the power fuel system, it is not suitable to be used with a larger engine like you have.

For several years now, I have run clones of the 1967 power fuel system equipped 30PICT-1 on my 1600DP Baja bug...

What is the power fuel system? It means the carb has a high speed "enrichment" circuit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a German made solex made in w-germany . I think it might be worth rebushing if needed.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter if it was made in Germany if it is the 1300cc version! Does it have the power fuel system? What is the modification state number on it? (faces the bowl on early 1966 carbs, is on the base flange on late 66 and 1967 carbs)

You can easily put the top half from a 1500 carb onto a 1300 bottom half to add the power fuel, high speed enrichment system to it. I've seen early 30PICT-1 carbs so equipped before.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a picture of my carburetor

[/img]

Which variety do I have? Again it is a 30 PICT-1
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 1300 version without the power fuel nozzle.
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth rebushing since it's a German carb? Also it's on a 1600 so is it under powered?
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have read your post closer. So this carbuertor is not suitable for my larger 1600. What would you or someone else recommend I replace it with for a single port? Keep in mind that it did run well with this set up
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to over-size the main jet to compensate for the lack of the power fuel outlet. As a result the 1500 carburetor came with a 120 main jet, compared to the 1300 carb which had a 125 main jet.

You could put the top half of a carb with the power fuel jet on the lower body, I've seen that done before - the drillings in the carb body should be there.

It's a very simple carb and I don't know what your problems are with it, it could be as simple as needing to be cleaned. Or is the throttle bushings totally wallowed out on it?

-Andy
PUTPUT6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the throttle body is as you described. Do you know of and good rebuilders?
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUTPUT6 wrote:
I think the throttle body is as you described. Do you know of and good rebuilders?
Tim @Volksbitz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: