Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front trailing arm seal problem
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Front trailing arm seal problem Reply with quote

Towed my "street rail" to get inspected today, (only to find out the inspector was out sick). about a 5 mile trip. When I got there i noticed the front trailing arm seal was mushroomed, folded over the beam. Kind of like when you roll your socks down. It's a ball joint beam with a thru rod. Something like this
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac401030.html
You can see how much I had to tighten the nut to get the rail home. The first photo shows the " mushroomed" seal second photo good seal.
Any suggestions of what to use?

DWP

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need delrin bushing. poly bushing are not up for the side pressure of thru rods
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i will order a set.
On a side note does anybody know if the width and location of the grub screws are the same in a ball joint as a link pin? I was thinking of ordering a internal sway bar. The ones they use for formula vee are link pin.
DWP
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave , my Manx has link pin front end, and the rail is BJ. I have to be out on Long Island tomorrow, but the side door to my garage is open and you are welcome to have a look. Rail is up on jacks in the driveway. I went to change the ball joint boots and found three bad ball joints. replacing all as soon as they arrive. If you aren't comfortable with just coming over, Denise gets home around 1:30. Let me know and I'll let her know you are coming over. Not a problem.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea where to source the delrin seals from?
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun with the MVD! Why would they have only one qualified inspector? I almost never get what I need from the MVD in one trip. I went to get my custom trailer registered at the MVD just down the road from my house. I was so excited since there was no line, just to be told they aren't a "State" office and only State offices can register a new trailer. So I had to go to Albuquerque... and wait in a ridiculous line! Government run operations at their finest! Can't wait until they have total control of our healthcare! *Steps off soapbox*
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i got them from pacificcustoms.
DWP
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be concerned also with the through rods sticking out poking or cutting the sidewalls of the tires in turns.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: